Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] From tactical machine to unintelligent freedom

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Can't be a coincidance, can it? When Calderon was sent off vs Newport the masterplan was Buckley central. Forget width and go central. Spectacularly failed then, and failed today as well.

Bloom opted for a manager with zero experience of the english game, we've brought in new coaches and after just 2 games you're complaining that the players don't look like they are organized - of course they arn't, they're working with a brand new coaching team and havn't even had a full pre season with them, what are you possibly expecting in such a short space of time. It took Poyet over 2 years to mould his squad and the playing style and you're really expecting the new guy to do it in a month?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Bloom opted for a manager with zero experience of the english game, we've brought in new coaches and after just 2 games you're complaining that the players don't look like they are organized - of course they arn't, they're working with a brand new coaching team and havn't even had a full pre season with them, what are you possibly expecting in such a short space of time. It took Poyet over 2 years to mould his squad and the playing style and you're really expecting the new guy to do it in a month?

Poyet won League 1 in his first season and sorted out our defence within about 3 months when he arrived in 2009. These are facts. Poyet got us organised and disciplined.

In the space of a couple of months, either through design or neglect, we have lost the organisation and discipline and replaced it with nothing. Yes, early days. And again, I am not writing Oscar off. But you can't pretend not to see how poor we were today and how much better Derby looked just through being organised. They are a good barometer for the Championship standard, they plod along happily. We have to improve to reach plodder status.

Happily only 2 games in, but we have reasons to be a bit cautious.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Poyet won League 1 in his first season and sorted out our defence within about 3 months when he arrived in 2009. These are facts.

No. First FULL season..he had plenty of time the year before, and in a pre-season to set the team up for that effort.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's not an interesting debate it's an angry reaction to 2 losses on the bounce from someone who seems to have forgotten that we did that REGULARLY under Poyet.

We didn't lose one game where we scored first.
Ninja Elephant has it spot on. The players don't know what they're doing or where they are supposed to be. They either got on top of each other or once gained possession had no one to pass it to.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No. First FULL season..he had plenty of time the year before, and in a pre-season to set the team up for that effort.

With respect, I left out the word full but surely you could tell from the rest of that post it was what I meant? He got the team sorted out in 09/10 and then made the signings required to play the best football most of us had seen from a Brighton team on 10/11 and we won the league with style and ease. We didn't struggle in the Championship the following season despite relying on players who most people don't consider to be good enough for this league. That was because we were more organised and disciplined in our approach than other teams.

We didn't lose one game where we scored first.
Ninja Elephant has it spot on. The players don't know what they're doing or where they are supposed to be. They either got on top of each other or once gained possession had no one to pass it to.

It was really clear to see. I chose to move to the East Upper this season to have a better view of the game and it was obvious to all of those around me that we were unbalanced in shape and style. It was a strange performance.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
It is surprising that it's not totally clear what we are trying to do - is Oscar really happy the amount of time we give the ball away cheaply?
Yet in his interviews he seems more concerned about missed chances? Yet the problem with that is the one striker he is playing is undroppable, given that he's our best player.

Sorry, but you are talking Irish now. Why would he not be undropable if he is our best player? He is on a good run of scoring as well. There is an overall lack of clinical shooting in our team, and that is not new to this season is it?

The good news is that we are making the chances, that makes a BIG investment in another striker to put them away worthwhile. Ulloa works so hard that he needs to be replaced by equal (or better) quality to capitalise on tired legs, and we don't have that second quality striker.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It was really clear to see. I chose to move to the East Upper this season to have a better view of the game and it was obvious to all of those around me that we were unbalanced in shape and style. It was a strange performance.

You have to allow for a lad making his League debut in the vital holding role, and an inexperienced left back who made no impression on load at Yeovil last season. One of our play-makers has had no pre-season. And we have no second striker.

It aint going to look pretty for at least a few weeks, and maybe a couple of months.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You have to allow for a lad making his League debut in the vital holding role, and an inexperienced left back who made no impression on load at Yeovil last season. One of our play-makers has had no pre-season. And we have no second striker.

It aint going to look pretty for at least a few weeks, and maybe a couple of months.

Maksimenko and Ince were our best players. Ince more so, but considering Maksimenko was left to control the left hand side all on his own, he did very well.

Why didn't we play someone on the left, properly? Not forcing Barnes/Ulloa to sort of drift that way every now and then, but actually have some shape.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Maksimenko and Ince were our best players. Ince more so, but considering Maksimenko was left to control the left hand side all on his own, he did very well.

Why didn't we play someone on the left, properly? Not forcing Barnes/Ulloa to sort of drift that way every now and then, but actually have some shape.

I am not sure why Barnes wasn't out there. He was up front at some points where we want to see Ulloa. I understand your concerns Mr Ninja - but these are early days.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Sorry, but you are talking Irish now. Why would he not be undropable if he is our best player? He is on a good run of scoring as well. There is an overall lack of clinical shooting in our team, and that is not new to this season is it?

The good news is that we are making the chances, that makes a BIG investment in another striker to put them away worthwhile. Ulloa works so hard that he needs to be replaced by equal (or better) quality to capitalise on tired legs, and we don't have that second quality striker.

Poor shooting atm, no power, no direction and complacency, what about Soli, he nailed a great goal against Norwich, give the lad a go!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
what was strange was seeing Buckley, Kaz, and March all play very centrally at times...

But last season if we were chasing a game, people were moaning that we'd have Buckley and Kaz standing on the wings and Ulloa all on his own in the middle. Plus we'd have spent 15 minutes of the second 45 knocking the ball about in our own half. At least we build some sustained pressure. Yes, it's a shame Gus went but he's gone, so people need to get over it. If what OG is attempting comes off, we'll be a better, more exciting team for it.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here