Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Free WiFi at The Amex

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Weren't there people whingeing when the Amex first opened about the lack of physical betting booths on the concourses!?

I'd imagine there were plenty.

Betting on the football isn't my problem, I do it myself a bit. It is part of the game. I think the issue I have is twofold.

You can now place a bet faster than you ever could before. Every app update to SkyBet (and all of the others) makes it easier, faster, more convenient to part with your cash.

That coupled with what feels like an increasing marketing bombardment from Sky just makes me a bit uneasy.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I'd imagine there were plenty.

Betting on the football isn't my problem, I do it myself a bit. It is part of the game. I think the issue I have is twofold.

You can now place a bet faster than you ever could before. Every app update to SkyBet (and all of the others) makes it easier, faster, more convenient to part with your cash.

That coupled with what feels like an increasing marketing bombardment from Sky just makes me a bit uneasy.

Just to state my position - I'm not a gambler, because I'm sh1t at it, not for any other reason.

I haven't been bombarded with the marketing you refer to, I suspect because somehow the club have my email address wrong somewhere on their mailing lists. Anyway, your beef seems to be with capitalism rather than gambling...

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Just a bit….

It probably hasn't cost the Albion a penny. Am I alone in finding the whole explosion of betting and ease of losing your money just a bit concerning?

No. It seems like there are new bingo sites opening every day, not to mention all of the bookies ads on every channel. Somebody is getting very rich from it all and it ain't the punters.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Probably crazy talk, but there might be one or two people on Saturday who will be happy just to watch the football and not feel a compulsion to use their phone at all.

They are not mutually exclusive, so no need to be holier than thou about it.
I always watch the entire match, but at half time I quite often attempt to check scores at half time or text friends to arrange a post-match drink. At full-time, I also sometimes want to check train times etc. It's often impossible to get a 3g signal at half time or immediately after the match because lots of other people are doing the same thing so, if it works, I for one will find the new wifi useful.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They are not mutually exclusive, so no need to be holier than thou about it.
I always watch the entire match, but at half time I quite often attempt to check scores at half time or text friends to arrange a post-match drink. At full-time, I also sometimes want to check train times etc. It's often impossible to get a 3g signal at half time or immediately after the match because lots of other people are doing the same thing so, if it works, I for one will find the new wifi useful.

Well apart from arranging to meet your mates after the game, all the scores/transport info is freely available on the concourses.

Just think too many people are becoming too psychologically dependent on their phones. :shrug:

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Well apart from arranging to meet your mates after the game, all the scores/transport info is freely available on the concourses.

Just think too many people are becoming too psychologically dependent on their phones. :shrug:

How does my preferring to check scores/train times from my seat (rather than looking for a screen somewhere in the concourse which might have the same information) imply "psychological dependence", rather than a simple choice to make use of a convenient tool?
Sometimes I also use my watch to tell the time, although if I could be bothered I could work it out from the position of the sun in the sky and the angle and length of the shadows it casts.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How does my preferring to check scores/train times from my seat (rather than looking for a screen somewhere in the concourse which might have the same information) imply "psychological dependence", rather than a simple choice to make use of a convenient tool?
Sometimes I also use my watch to tell the time, although if I could be bothered I could work it out from the position of the sun in the sky and the angle and length of the shadows it casts.

Bad day? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here