Free WiFi at The Amex

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
An app with it's own network. I'm not denying that. I'm pointing out it's an entirely separate entity to the planned stadium Wi-Fi.

and what will that network use? its wi-fi. its part of the planned stadium wi-fi.

we should applaud the club along with Uni of Sussex with starting up a business (Tribehive) that looks like its found a solution to a common problem in stadiums and other places where reception is troublesome.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
and what will that network use? its wi-fi. its part of the planned stadium wi-fi.

we should applaud the club along with Uni of Sussex with starting up a business (Tribehive) that looks like its found a solution to a common problem in stadiums and other places where reception is troublesome.

No, wrong.

I'm typing this on my Nexus tablet using the Chrome browser app. I'm able to do this by connecting to my Wi-Fi network. My tablet is not part of the Wi-Fi, it just uses it. Same with the app and the stadium Wi-Fi.

Regardless of whether you agree with me, I too believe its a great initiative by the Uni and the club.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I'm typing this on my Nexus tablet using the Chrome browser app. I'm able to do this by connecting to my Wi-Fi network. My tablet is not part of the Wi-Fi, it just uses it. Same with the app and the stadium Wi-Fi.

the app allows the host device to relay wi-fi, it becomes part of the wi-fi network. thats the point, app creates wi-fi mesh network. app and wi-fi intertwine. apps are software, wi-fi is software too for the most part.

Last edited:

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I just did a test and it's 37mbps download and 40mbps upload. Aka fu*king fast

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I just did a test and it's 37mbps download and 40mbps upload. Aka fu*king fast

I got 38 and 43 - just as well there's only the two of us using it.
Also just got a popup from the new Albion app telling me to turn on wifi and Bluetooth for the best performance of the app.

ahall

Oct 29, 2012
end of last season i had a beta test for the app and was fairly poor not worth the investment in my opinion

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

Yeah, I know. It's easier to stop arguing.

instead of snipes, enlighten me where i am wrong. wi-fi is a protocol managed in software, with hardware antenna and a controller chip. whats available without the software APIs? no encryption, no channel mangement, no packet encapsulation and routing. if you dont accept this app is making the device a wi-fi relay, how else does it work?

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
I was told about this a few weeks ago. Good to know the club are responding to complaints - the press box wifi was so poor that I sometimes had to file my intro from the press room while watching the final seconds on the TV.

All Premier League clubs have to make ethernet cables available in press seats nowadays (although Southampton's don't work very well), so I'm hoping PB has got us even more PL ready ...

Are you famous?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
instead of snipes, enlighten me where i am wrong. wi-fi is a protocol managed in software, with hardware antenna and a controller chip. whats available without the software APIs? no encryption, no channel mangement, no packet encapsulation and routing. if you dont accept this app is making the device a wi-fi relay, how else does it work?

Yeah I know. I was arguing the point that the OP seemed to think the app was the wifi network. IE you couldn't access the stadium wifi without it. Which is wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here