Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Free WiFi at The Amex

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yeah I know. I was arguing the point that the OP seemed to think the app was the wifi network. IE you couldn't access the stadium wifi without it. Which is wrong.

i 'm pretty sure the chap never made such an assertion. he did say "the app's peer-to-peer technology will compliment the free wifi service" which you objected to. i still dont see anything wrong with that statment, unless either service isn't free or not using wi-fi.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
i 'm pretty sure the chap never made such an assertion. he did say "the app's peer-to-peer technology will compliment the free wifi service" which you objected to. i still dont see anything wrong with that statment, unless either service isn't free or not using wi-fi.

Plooks said "it isn't wifi" to which the OP said "isn't it?" Which is what I objected to. His assuming the app is wifi.

Want to carry on going over what has been said over the last three pages? I've got an hour or so until I fall asleep.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I am delighted with this. The data coverage is abysmal at the stadium.

Club will have had to invest money for this and they deserve credit for making this happen... It will make my match day experience much better!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I am delighted with this. The data coverage is abysmal at the stadium.

Club will have had to invest money for this and they deserve credit for making this happen... It will make my match day experience much better!

I presume there is a significant financial contribution from SkyBet involved here, given that the media release suggests users will be able to place their matchday bets even faster now...

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
It worked well, with a fast connection at the Southampton match. The real test of whether it can offer the necessary bandwidth to provide a decent service will be on Saturday with a fairly full stadium, all connecting at the same time.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
All Premier League clubs have to make ethernet cables available in press seats nowadays (although Southampton's don't work very well)

They sold them to Liverpool in June for £27.8 million, probably explains it.

(Boom-tish).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I presume there is a significant financial contribution from SkyBet involved here, given that the media release suggests users will be able to place their matchday bets even faster now...

Just a bit….

It probably hasn't cost the Albion a penny. Am I alone in finding the whole explosion of betting and ease of losing your money just a bit concerning?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The real test of whether it can offer the necessary bandwidth to provide a decent service will be on Saturday with a fairly full stadium, all connecting at the same time.

Probably crazy talk, but there might be one or two people on Saturday who will be happy just to watch the football and not feel a compulsion to use their phone at all.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just a bit….

It probably hasn't cost the Albion a penny. Am I alone in finding the whole explosion of betting and ease of losing your money just a bit concerning?

I'd be interested to know whether the likes of Gamblers Anonymous have reported significant rise in customers since online betting first arrived on scene.

No doubt most gamblers manage their accounts sensibly. But presumably there are still plenty of addictive personalities out there who find it impossible to resist a bet or ten, and the ease of use of such sites must only encourage such action.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Just a bit….

Surely the responsibility lies with the individual. Yes, some people will get hooked, but those people would in the past be found in betting shops.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Surely the responsibility lies with the individual. Yes, some people will get hooked, but those people would in the past be found in betting shops.

Of course it lies with the individual: I wouldn't suggest otherwise. And as you say, the betting shop would have been an option before. But some individuals seem incapable of knowing when to stop, and while that's still their own fault, the temptation of being able to spank £100 up the wall at the press of a button, mid match, must be very strong. Previously, those people would have had to make some kind of physical effort, even if it was just picking up the phone.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Well, that is true, but then that could be said for a lot of things. I do just think the way it is actively targeting people rather than you making the decision to go into the betting shop is the alarming thing. I don't know how our wifi will work, but I suspect signing into the wifi will take you to a Skybet page where you're presented with a free bet if you register etc. It is very much in your face now (it's an advertising explosion), and linked to everything from signing up your fantasy football team, to various website promotions.

It's making a huge amount of money, but while the responsibility lies with the individual, as a society we also have responsibility for each other do we not?

Actually, I'm not proposing a view really, I'm just concerned that it all just seems a bit out of control and inescapable especially if you're any kind of sports fan.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/addiction-soars-as-online-gambling-hits-2bn-mark-8468376.html

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/jan/08/uks-gambling-habits-whats-really-happening

http://www.ntu.ac.uk/apps/news/150964-15/Expert_opinion_Has_gambling_advertising_helped_increase_problem_gambling_i.aspx

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Just a bit….
Am I alone in finding the whole explosion of betting and ease of losing your money just a bit concerning?

No you're not. Hate seeing the Albion's website and social media plastered with Sky Bet's garbage.

THIS sort of shite in particular:
“We know that Football League fans do a huge amount to support their clubs. But for those who like to have a flutter on the football, a simple change to their betting routine could result in a huge cash boost in time for the January transfer window.”

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
No you're not. Hate seeing the Albion's website and social media plastered with Sky Bet's garbage.

THIS sort of shite in particular:

Weren't there people whingeing when the Amex first opened about the lack of physical betting booths on the concourses!?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Of course it lies with the individual: I wouldn't suggest otherwise. And as you say, the betting shop would have been an option before. But some individuals seem incapable of knowing when to stop, and while that's still their own fault, the temptation of being able to spank £100 up the wall at the press of a button, mid match, must be very strong. Previously, those people would have had to make some kind of physical effort, even if it was just picking up the phone.

Good luck getting a one-er on with SkyBet.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Weren't there people whingeing when the Amex first opened about the lack of physical betting booths on the concourses!?

I'm certainly not saying ban gambling by any stretch, in fact booths dotted around the stadium to my mind is almost more preferable than insidious marketing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here