Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fraser Has a Dig at Knight

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
His opinions are his own, and I still feel he could have contributed something more - Slade obviously felt otherwise.

I would say a couple of things though. He did play in 35 matches last season, although only 22 were starts, and in many of them, he was (wrongly in some cases IMO) substituted.

The other thing was how much of a whiner I found him to be. I hope I'm mis-judging the fella, but more than once, I heard him say negative stuff - admittedly it was hard work out whether he was being sarcastic, indulging in banter, or genuinely moany - about his team-mates within their ear-shot. A couple of years ago when I sponsored the Brighton v Swansea game (where we won 3-2), and gave the Man of the Match award to Alex Revell. Fraser moaned his bollocks off, 'why does he deserve it - I played better than him...' etc.

Same with when it was looking like Tommy Elphick was going to win Player of the Season - 'what the f*** has he done to get that? f*** sake...' etc. Just wondering if it ever rubbed off on others. ???

Still, I did like him as a player, and the stuff he's saying about Dick Knight may or may not be true, but my point is - what's to be gained by moaning about it now? :shrug:

Mar 3, 2004
Hove
Strange that he critisised Micky Adams replacing Wilkins, then goes and signs for him.

He didnt criticise Micky Adams relacing DW. He said getting rid of DW was a disgrace. But then we already knew that didnt we. Interesting insight behind the scenes and non of it suprises me.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Looks like sour grapes to me and I think the club were and are very supportive to the youth at this club. The issue has come to a head as some of those players who showed such early promise as youth players have never really took the next step to being a decent league player. Fraser I am afraid fell into that category and so was let go.

Exactly - who out of all those youth team players that came through the ranks have gone on to shine at a level any better than that that we are currently at??!!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Russell Slade had wanted him to stay he'd be staying. I can't comprehend why Fraser said it was Knight's decision when Knight himself would have known his tenure as Chairman was about to end.

Just because he played in 35 matches it doesn't count for a lot if the team struggled all season.

Reading between the lines it seems that Knight thinks he's a bit of a troublemaker and has made this clear to Slade, who doesn't think that much of him anyway and therefore agreed to him being put on the transfer list.

That said, Robinson, Lynch, Hammond, Harding and now Fraser have all had problems with Knight...

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
dont let this make you forget that fraser tried and worked hard though

another player to add to the list that have come out and slagged off dick knight

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That said, Robinson, Lynch, Hammond, Harding and now Fraser have all had problems with Knight...

Really?

What were Robinson's, Lynch's and Harding's problems with Knight?

As far as was made known, Robinson was in and out of favour with Wilkins and Adams. Was it during McGhee's tenure he went out on loan (someone correct me)?

Lynch's problems appeared to be with Adams.

Harding's issues were with the fact that he knew someone else was coming in for him, hence didn't sign the contract. I'm sure that wasn't personal against Knight - unless someone can enlighten us further.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Sad - I'd always quite liked him before. But with this windy prattling he comes across as an immature and rather sour little kid, someone who seems unlikely to have a truly great attitude which can overcome any other shortcomings of his. Ah well.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sad - I'd always quite liked him before. But with this windy prattling he comes across as an immature and rather sour little kid, someone who seems unlikely to have a truly great attitude which can overcome any other shortcomings of his. Ah well.

Spot on, that is.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Harding's issues were with the fact that he knew someone else was coming in for him, hence didn't sign the contract. I'm sure that wasn't personal against Knight - unless someone can enlighten us further.

I don't know the ins and outs of the deal, but perhaps DK wanted to keep Harding, and told him so, but was unwilling/unable to back up his words with a money offer that matched DK's desire to keep him, so Harding (rightly or wrongly) took this to mean DK was lying, two-faced etc.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I don't know the ins and outs of the deal, but perhaps DK wanted to keep Harding, and told him so, but was unwilling/unable to back up his words with a money offer that matched DK's desire to keep him, so Harding (rightly or wrongly) took this to mean DK was lying, two-faced etc.

Dick did want to keep him, and offered him a decent (or at least as decent as Brighton could offer back then) deal.

Point is, Leeds United came in with a better one, one we would never be able to match, which turned Harding's head. The clubs ended up going to tribunal to set a fee. I think the Albion ended up trousering north of £500,000 in the end, but that figure needs confirming.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What with Kerry gone, Fraser gone and Whing still stalling, there's going to be an alarming lack of GINGER in the team next season. Any team at this level thats going to compete near the right end of the table needs at least one ginger in the side - and thats a FACT, that is. I hope Russell pulls out all the stops to address this blatant gene malfunction for our starting XI.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Dick did want to keep him, and offered him a decent (or at least as decent as Brighton could offer back then) deal.

Point is, Leeds United came in with a better one, one we would never be able to match, which turned Harding's head. The clubs ended up going to tribunal to set a fee. I think the Albion ended up trousering north of £500,000 in the end, but that figure needs confirming.

I thought it was around £850k

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
What with Kerry gone, Fraser gone and Whing still stalling, there's going to be an alarming lack of GINGER in the team next season. Any team at this level thats going to compete near the right end of the table needs at least one ginger in the side - and thats a FACT, that is. I hope Russell pulls out all the stops to address this blatant gene malfunction for our starting XI.

carlos_valderrama_2_779933a.jpg

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Hopefully McNulty will be back sooner rather than later to redress this balance.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I know nothing of his personality - but watching pre-match warm-ups I always felt he had a poor first touch. He was improving - and he had other assets including energy and drive - but a good first touch is essential for any midfielder.

On it's own it is no use - I thought Gatting had an excellent first touch.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I mean to put forward the way Harding may have viewed things to explain why he would have a problem with Knight. He was offered a deal by leeds, a good deal, and being realistic a deal worth taking. As much as Harding enjoyed playing for brighton, living in the area etc, it made more sense to take the deal. However, he wouldn't have minded staying, if Brighton could make a comparative deal.

If Knight wanted him to stay as much as he was saying he did, he could have found the money for the deal (it might not have taken money, perhaps it would have been the length of contract, or perhaps some commercial deal such as image rights etc, anything to make it a better deal), but he didn'#t. He made an offer and wouldn't improve it.

From Harding's position this shows Dick saying one thing, doing another, leaving him no choice but to go with the better deal at leeds.

I don't know, maybe DK did everything he could and Harding would be wrong to have a problem. Maybe DK was lying about wanting Harding, or only wanted him at a cut price rate and drove him out, and Harding is right to have a problem.

Like I said, I didn't know about ins and outs, so could be way off base, but the wa I've described it would fit with your understanding of events and still allow for him to have a problem with Knight.

I think Robinson and Lynch's problems aren't with Knight or Adams, I think it's their own egos. I could be wrong, but it seems to me they both feel like they should be handed starring roles, and get automatic starts regardless of their form, their health, the form of team mates challenging for their positions etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here