Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
From the Argus...

Fraser fires parting shot

7:40am Tuesday 16th June 2009

comment Comments (0) Have your say »
Exclusive By Brian Owen »

Midfielder Tommy Fraser today launched an astonishing parting shot at former Albion chairman Dick Knight.

The 21-year-old former youth team skipper, who is joining Port Vale, accused Knight of failing to support young players coming through the ranks at Withdean.

He criticised Knight’s decision to replace Dean Wilkins with Micky Adams as first team manager.

And he claimed Knight, rather than first team boss Russell Slade, was behind the decision to end his 11-year association with his home town club.

Knight was not available for comment when The Argus attempted to contact him last night.

He recently left the post of chairman after a 12-year stint during which Albion fielded a host of home produced players.

Fraser, who is rejoining Adams at Vale Park, was one of 16 players recently told they would not be offered new deals by the Seagulls.

He said: “I played 35 games last season even though the club brought in six or seven midfielders. I felt I deserved a contract and I wasn’t given a reason why I didn’t get one.

“It was just going into an office and being told I wasn’t getting anything.

“Knowing the chairman at the time and knowing what he was like I shouldn’t have been surprised. I never got on with the chairman.

“I didn’t find him a nice person to talk to. I never felt welcome under him as a former youth team player coming through. He never really looked after me or any of the youth boys.

“By that I mean he’d never talk to you if you were coming to the end of your contract. He made it hard for you, left everything until the last minute.”

He added: “What happened with Dean Wilkins was an absolute disgrace.

“It’s not about me being bitter now because I did not get a contract. People close to me know I said these things all along. The way Dean was treated was a disgrace, even when he was manager.

“I was glad to get away from it. I felt the club was not going anywhere under Dick Knight.

“He was a director at a football club but he wanted to be director of football.

“I hope the club now moves on. I’ve still got good friends at the club and I hope Russell Slade does well.

“I don’t think he had much choice in what happened to me. I don’t bear him any grudges.

“He’s a great manager who I’d like to play for again some day. If anyone asks me about him I’ll have nothing but good things to say.”

Fraser believes he can make a swift return to League One with Port Vale.

But he insists he will be wishing his old club all the best as well. He said: “I can’t wait to get playing football again.

“There were a few options but Micky being there made the decision for me.

“I want to get out of this league and I wouldn’t have signed if I didn’t think we could achieve that.

“But I wouldn’t change any of my time at Brighton. I had a great upbringing there with lots of good players who are all great friends of mine.

“We had ups and downs but the year under Dean was great and so was the run we put together at the end of last season.

“I also want to say thank you to the fans. They have always been brilliant for me.”

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
From the Argus...

Midfielder Tommy Fraser today launched an astonishing parting shot at former Albion chairman Dick Knight.

The 21-year-old former youth team skipper, who is joining Port Vale, accused Knight of failing to support young players coming through the ranks at Withdean.

He criticised Knight’s decision to replace Dean Wilkins with Micky Adams as first team manager.

And he claimed Knight, rather than first team boss Russell Slade, was behind the decision to end his 11-year association with his home town club.

Knight was not available for comment when The Argus attempted to contact him last night.

He recently left the post of chairman after a 12-year stint during which Albion fielded a host of home produced players.

Fraser, who is rejoining Adams at Vale Park, was one of 16 players recently told they would not be offered new deals by the Seagulls.

He said: “I played 35 games last season even though the club brought in six or seven midfielders. I felt I deserved a contract and I wasn’t given a reason why I didn’t get one.

“It was just going into an office and being told I wasn’t getting anything.

“Knowing the chairman at the time and knowing what he was like I shouldn’t have been surprised. I never got on with the chairman.

“I didn’t find him a nice person to talk to. I never felt welcome under him as a former youth team player coming through. He never really looked after me or any of the youth boys.

“By that I mean he’d never talk to you if you were coming to the end of your contract. He made it hard for you, left everything until the last minute.”

He added: “What happened with Dean Wilkins was an absolute disgrace.

“It’s not about me being bitter now because I did not get a contract. People close to me know I said these things all along. The way Dean was treated was a disgrace, even when he was manager.

“I was glad to get away from it. I felt the club was not going anywhere under Dick Knight.

“He was a director at a football club but he wanted to be director of football.

“I hope the club now moves on. I’ve still got good friends at the club and I hope Russell Slade does well.

“I don’t think he had much choice in what happened to me. I don’t bear him any grudges.

“He’s a great manager who I’d like to play for again some day. If anyone asks me about him I’ll have nothing but good things to say.”

Fraser believes he can make a swift return to League One with Port Vale.

But he insists he will be wishing his old club all the best as well. He said: “I can’t wait to get playing football again.

“There were a few options but Micky being there made the decision for me.

“I want to get out of this league and I wouldn’t have signed if I didn’t think we could achieve that.

“But I wouldn’t change any of my time at Brighton. I had a great upbringing there with lots of good players who are all great friends of mine.

“We had ups and downs but the year under Dean was great and so was the run we put together at the end of last season.

“I also want to say thank you to the fans. They have always been brilliant for me.”

Although he says it is not him being bitter I am afraid that is exactly what it seems like. Good luck to him at Port Vale but He has made himself look a bit silly and a bit immature, there are a lot of contradictions in that statement.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
From the Argus...

. He made it hard for you, left everything until the last minute.”

.”

"Leaving everything until the last minute" could have been our club motto under Knight, let's hope that will now change.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
As I said a couple of weeks ago, I met a director of club who pointed out that Fraser was trouble off the pitch. Presumably alluding to the drinking culture that the club needs to eradicate in order to become more professional and to be serious contenders for a place in the championship. I'm not questioning his passion, just his ability, or lack of. There is no way that he would have made an impact at that level.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
First he mouths off at our own fans, then he lays into knight to the press. What a spoilt, bitter brat. Still, some interesting points from an ordinary player.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
So Tommy liked Dean but Dick didn't like Dean and Tommy didn't like Dick...

For f*** sake I thought I suported a professional football club.

Let hope this is the kind of crap we've now left behind us-unless Tony doesn't like Russell---AAAARRGH!!!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
As much as it is obviously sour grapes, a few things do ring true in there. The leaving contracts until the last minute is a regular occurance and I think it's fair to say that DK has been a bit close to they playing side sometimes, Turienzo anyone?

On the other hand, he says that DK didn't back the youth team players. I'm pretty sure that he put most of that youth team on much better contracts than they would usually expect to get as a first year pro.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Someone should tell him that he didn't get a contract because he is not the standard of player we are looking for.

And people close to me know I have always said that.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Although I think its brilliant hes got the balls to do it, he shouldnt have done it, and its a bit immature.

About the youth team he is right though, something Ive always thought about. Next season we are down to just Virgo and Elphick, after having 6 or 7 featuring and finishing in the top half.

Good luck to Tommy, sure he will be fine in that league

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Happens every year doesn't it? Players who are released have a go a the club/manager/chairman. Although his criticism of Knight is obviously spot on.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
"Leaving everything until the last minute" could have been our club motto under Knight, let's hope that will now change.
It's called brinkmanship, when you have buggerall money you have it's about the only tactic that you've got. Players hate it and more importantly so do agents, Sorry but players do not have any loyalty which is to be expected, therefore neither should clubs. It's a dog eat dog world and Tommy just got chewed up. Mind you, i think he'll do well at Vale and wish him luck

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Well Im being completely honest some of his comments we have all thought about DK (to various degrees) in the past at one stage or another.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Looks like sour grapes to me and I think the club were and are very supportive to the youth at this club. The issue has come to a head as some of those players who showed such early promise as youth players have never really took the next step to being a decent league player. Fraser I am afraid fell into that category and so was let go.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Well Im being completely honest some of his comments we have all thought about DK (to various degrees) in the past at one stage or another.

Agreed. I think he is only saying what a lot of us were thinking in the last 18 months. That said it probably does him no favours saying it now.

Dandyman

In London village.
To be honest, Giraffe is probably right. Much of what Fraser is quoted as saying has been posted on here before.

Be interesting to see how his new manager reacts to the suggestion that he should not have been appointed to his old job mind you...

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I dont get peoples hatred towards him. What is it he has done wrong (before this article) that made him so bad, hated and worse than Adam Virgo, Adam El Abd, Bradley Johnson, Doug Loft, Kevin Thornton, Gary Dicker, Dean Cox, Robbie Savage, Steve Thomson, Jason Jarrett, Chris Birchall, Dave Livermore and Al Bangura in centre midfield??

ElkieB

Jun 24, 2008
Peacehaven
IMO He is entitled to his opinion, we spout ours on here often enough and he is only saying what he felt.

The number of players "Out of Contract" each year at the Albion is always a concern because we are left with a situation like Whing, were if we had spoken to him around December an extension would almost certainly have been agreed and RS would not be left in limbo wondering on who/what he can spend any transfer kitty on.

I hope Tommy does well at Vale, he is a genuine player whi progressed last season and certainly on the run in showed consistency.

We do have more than 2 youth players left, Cox and El-Abd.:albion2:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Although I think its brilliant hes got the balls to do it, he shouldnt have done it, and its a bit immature.

About the youth team he is right though, something Ive always thought about. Next season we are down to just Virgo and Elphick, after having 6 or 7 featuring and finishing in the top half.

Good luck to Tommy, sure he will be fine in that league

Cox? El Abd?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here