Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Franck Haise - Lens manager

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Bit of a difference. Like 100% of the people in Greece are good at English, the vast majority probably better than you, meaning there's no real need to learn a foreign language. Different for Bielsa as I imagine most people in England doesn't understand Spanish.

I don't think Bielsa talked "perfectly good English" as some say but I'm guessing he picked up some of the basics. Either way, don't really hold it against him - the ability to learn new languages goes downhill from your mid 20s and when you're in your 60s it is going to be very difficult to become fluent in a new language.

The term “hey up” means pretty much anything in Leeds it just depends how it is expressed.

Hey up can mean anything from “look out”, “you’ll be ok” all the way through to “ffs”

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Seems very odd if that's the case and, I dunno, a bit disrespectful. I recognise that British tourists are probably the worst in the world for making minimal effort to speak the lingo when on holiday, but British players and managers tend to learn and at least make an effort even if they're not quite fluent. See Tomori for an example, and it's well worth watching videos of Shaun Edwards coaching the French rugby team with a broad Wigan accent.

A guy in his 60s not being confident enough in a foreign language to conduct interviews is not disrepectful.

You can probably count on one hand the number of British players or managers that could do so. Tomori's fluency is pretty impressive and fair play to Abraham for having a crack at it too.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I think this is our man. Might need a translator for a while, Bielsa-at-Leeds style, but I'd imagine that he'll pick up enough English ove the next 6-12 months for this to not be an issue long term, unlike Bielsa who was such a genius that he still couldn't speak English after almost 4 seasons.

I was lead to believe Bielsa could speak English he just chose not to, a bit like sitting on the bench rather than a bucket

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Looks like someome ITK has lumped on.
Interesting one this. Seems to definitely fit with our collective ethos. You'd feel for Lens if they lost their man but what can we do?
Assistant is former Leicester and Plymouth hunk (and no doubt fluent English speaker) Lilian Nalis...or maybe he isn't...they've worked together at least.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Bit of a difference. Like 100% of the people in Greece are good at English, the vast majority probably better than you, meaning there's no real need to learn a foreign language. Different for Bielsa as I imagine most people in England doesn't understand Spanish.

I don't think Bielsa talked "perfectly good English" as some say but I'm guessing he picked up some of the basics. Either way, don't really hold it against him - the ability to learn new languages goes downhill from your mid 20s and when you're in your 60s it is going to be very difficult to become fluent in a new language.
Maybe now not many Greeks spoke English in the late 80’s, they still had the drachma as a currency. I could hold a conversation just about in Greek towards the end.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
The more I read about this chap, the more I like the idea.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
And his other assistant Yannick Cahuzac looks like a BHS active wear model. I'm excited!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
A guy in his 60s not being confident enough in a foreign language to conduct interviews is not disrepectful.

You can probably count on one hand the number of British players or managers that could do so. Tomori's fluency is pretty impressive and fair play to Abraham for having a crack at it too.

Not many British managers or players take their careers abroad, but there have been plenty (certainly more than 5) that do so and most learn the language well enough to give interviews:

Venables (Spanish)
Lineker (Spanish)
Hodgson (Multiple languages)
Nathan Jones (Spanish)
Potter (Swedish)
Michael Robinson (Spanish)
Tomori (Italian)
Paul Ince (Italian)
David Platt (Italian)

These are just the big names and those with a BHA connection. I'm sure there are plenty more that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here