Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] France v Argentina official World Cup final thread ….

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Maybe they were singing anti English songs because we're ****s, despised the world over.

Just a thought.
Wow - that’s not a comment to make lightly. Very sorry you feel that way.

Anyway, hope it doesn’t ruin your enjoyment of the sport we gave to the world.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wow - that’s not a comment to make lightly. Very sorry you feel that way.

Anyway, hope it doesn’t ruin your enjoyment of the sport we gave to the world.
Perhaps if 'we' spent less time telling the world what 'we', oh so generously, gave them while refusing to acknowledge that 'we' fail miserably at pretty much all of it.
The rest of the world might not think we're ****s.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We're all team Ally Mac for this one aren't we?

A Brighton player winning the world cup is next level 'if you told me that 25 years ago' shit.
Jnr started to talk about Mbappe, not the longest of conversations.

TBH being guided by an Albion player is probably the only thing holding Messi back, there's just no way my Albion have any right to be there.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Perhaps if 'we' spent less time telling the world what 'we', oh so generously, gave them while refusing to acknowledge that 'we' fail miserably at pretty much all of it.
Well I’m sure plenty do think it, but I have been to around 100 countries, at least half of them more than 20 times each, and have worked for global multinational companies at a senior level for more than 25 years. Sure we are not perfect and never have been but I don’t have or experience this ‘the rest of the world thinks we are ****s’ feeling you have. But thats your view and you are completely entitled to it, regardless of whether I agree or not.

To take a good example, I have spent a reasonable amount of time in Argentina. I loved it there, liked the people, got robbed twice, had a few ‘’Malvinas’ conversations and came away with the feeling that because of history and politics our countries don’t get on but there was also a lot of warmth towards us there too. But from a distance we are sworn enemies it seems, and maybe always will be.

I am currently reading a book about the history of Soviet football, written by a Catalan. I am on chapter 4 and still haven’t got beyond the bits about how British workers and factories set it up, so although I take your point there is a fair bit of truth in all of that, including in Argentina.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Maybe they were singing anti English songs because we're ****s, despised the world over.

Just a thought.
Not a very coherent one imo.

I’ve travelled extensively throughout my life and have a multi-cultural, multi-national family - never got the impression the English were ’despised the world over’ (ok - Scotland and Wales perhaps, and Ireland 😉 - but not the world!)

I’m bored with the WC now, lost interest really when England went out and getting really fcuking bored with all the politics and nationalistic shite it has attracted tbh - Mackie’s not enough to reignite much passion for me - I’ll be watching as we have a social engagement planned round watching the Final but I don’t really care who wins - my money is on France though.

My football head is firmly back in the UK with BHA and looking forward to continuing our campaigns in the PL and Carabao.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Attachments

• DD7EEE1B-C0BA-42FC-8F35-AF28C3734524.png
    DD7EEE1B-C0BA-42FC-8F35-AF28C3734524.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 41

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think anybody (apart from possibly the Scots) hates the English more than the 'I'm ashamed to be English' brigade.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
I'm hoping Argentina succeed for a few reasons, but they are dwarfed by wanting Alexis to get a winner's medal - if he could score (the winner?!) that would be the icing on the cake. The far inferior reasons: the arguable GOAT seems to be a relatively humble chap (despite tax cheating), and his incredible skill has entertained me via video for years - for me it would be apt for Messi to win the world cup in the twilight of his career; and, it's about time a non-European nation won it again.

I don't mind France though: they have a winning mentality that got them past an England team that on paper are their equal; and by a fired up Morocco with an unbelievable twelfth man. I hope that the Messi/Mbappe duel lives up to the hype, and that it's an open, entertaining match.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We're all team Ally Mac for this one aren't we?

A Brighton player winning the world cup is next level 'if you told me that 25 years ago' shit.
Yep but with a caveat…I am team Argentina as long as Mac is on the pitch, I’m team France when he’s not :smile:

I am not bothered about Messi winning a World Cup, I spend quite a bit of time in France so should really be supporting them.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
If Ali Mac wins the World Cup he will be off from little Brighton at the first opportunity.
At least the club will have a bit more money to invest in the youth project.

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
You do know we are the only nation to win the WC at football,rugby and cricket

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Picked up my daughter from Uni in Leeds yesterday. In the pub some young bloke (Mackem as it turned out) asked me where my accent was from. Said Brighton and he immediately shook my hand and said Alexis MacAllister, fookin luv’im. His three mates then joined in waxing lyrical about the weird Scottish/Irish sounding Argie tearing it up in Qatar and playing for Brighton!!!

The needle moves a little more…

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
I'm sorry,I have no loyalty to the nationalities of our players
I hope France win

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I don’t care. But if Argentina win then it’ll be nonstop Messi rimming for the next 6 months and frankly that can go eff itself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here