Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Formula 1 2019

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So show me the ones where those drivers have sat there watching 15 cars pass them before rejoining.
You can't even read.

With the help of a literate friend I have had your message read to me. As a point of interest do you have a driving licence? Just want to know if I need to be aware of you coming out of a side road :wink:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It’s hilarious because you ask for an example of a driver spinning off and waiting to rejoin last, you’re given one but it doesn’t fit your specific criteria.
I was asked for examples of other drivers making a mistake like Vettel, so I simply pointed out that Lance Stroll did similar just a few seconds after Vettel's mistake, sending Gasly into the gravel. Stroll even said himself he did a very similar thing to Vettel. But I was told that my example didn't fill the specific criteria because Stroll can't be considered a good enough driver. Maybe you should go back and say it's hilarious to claim my example wasn't suitable (but no, that won't fit your argument, so just ignore it).

You're example of Hamilton, however, is completely different. Of course the example has to be somewhat similar to Vettel's situation. If you're claiming that Vettel could see Stroll coming, and deliberately pulled out in front of him, then it's a different discussion. I wouldn't be able to explain why he'd do that. But he didn't do that (it wouldn't make sense if he'd seen Stroll, and he said he didn't). His car was on the edge of the track, right next to the racing line, on the inside of a bend, so he couldn't see whether anyone was coming or not. It's ridiculous that you want to compare that with someone who could see what was coming (as well as the other differences between the examples).

Vettel is in the worse form of his career. He’s in a fast Ferrari for 2 years and cannot handle it. The pressure is getting to him and he’s making rookie errors.
I'm not arguing about his form.
A winning driver may spin with no one around. A driver may rejoin the track unsafely, but very rare they’d make 2 major errors in succession like that.
Well they're not going to rejoin without having spun off first.

You may say a winning driver takes the risk, but in Canada Hamilton didn’t take the risk, he backed out to avoid a collision with a driver rejoining the track unsafely. There is a big difference in risk mentality.
Firstly, I'm not saying that all drivers have the same risk mentality. But the risks they take will depend on the likely outcomes. If Vettel hadn't taken the risk, he'd have sat there for ages, waiting for a marshal to wave him back on, so his race would have been over. He took a risk, and if it had worked out, he'd have been back fighting for the top places. It was an understandable risk. The Hamilton example at Canada meant Hamilton was choosing between backing off and continuing to fight for first/second place - so he might have won, or finish second (he won), or not backing off, crashing and probably not finishing the race. It's pretty understandable he chose not to crash. There's no comparison between the two incidents.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was asked for examples of other drivers making a mistake like Vettel, so I simply pointed out that Lance Stroll did similar just a few seconds after Vettel's mistake, sending Gasly into the gravel. Stroll even said himself he did a very similar thing to Vettel. But I was told that my example didn't fill the specific criteria because Stroll can't be considered a good enough driver. Maybe you should go back and say it's hilarious to claim my example wasn't suitable (but no, that won't fit your argument, so just ignore it).

Stroll didn't commit his own error to need to rejoin, he was unfairly collided with, the result of which he chose to unsafely rejoin as well. I never commented on the Stroll incident because you set the criteria of 'winning driver mentality', I'm not aware Stroll has won in F1.

You're example of Hamilton, however, is completely different. Of course the example has to be somewhat similar to Vettel's situation. If you're claiming that Vettel could see Stroll coming, and deliberately pulled out in front of him, then it's a different discussion. I wouldn't be able to explain why he'd do that. But he didn't do that (it wouldn't make sense if he'd seen Stroll, and he said he didn't). His car was on the edge of the track, right next to the racing line, on the inside of a bend, so he couldn't see whether anyone was coming or not. It's ridiculous that you want to compare that with someone who could see what was coming (as well as the other differences between the examples).

So you're saying Vettel couldn't see any cars at all, so didn't take a risk, he took an almighty gamble that he was just going to pull out and luck was going to give him a gap, seriously?

I'm not arguing about his form.

Form adds pressure, pressure effects performance, poor performance leads to mistakes. It's relevant.

Well they're not going to rejoin without having spun off first.

Stroll hadn't spun off, he was knocked off. Hamilton went off because he was forced off. Many cars go off for reasons that are not their mistake. I pointed out that once you make a big mistake, you don't compound that by another equally big one.

Firstly, I'm not saying that all drivers have the same risk mentality.

Well you kind of are, you are saying Vettel was no different to any other winning driver mentality in that situation.

But the risks they take will depend on the likely outcomes.

Yeah, the likely outcome he missed by a faction of a second was a huge accident.

If Vettel hadn't taken the risk, he'd have sat there for ages, waiting for a marshal to wave him back on, so his race would have been over. He took a risk, and if it had worked out, he'd have been back fighting for the top places. It was an understandable risk.

If he really couldn't see as you're saying above, it wasn't a risk, it was just a reckless gamble, he played russian roulette with the track. After a death last week, I don't think many of the drivers would play that and take the risk of a huge collision, and a side on full T-bone collision there would have been nasty.

The Hamilton example at Canada meant Hamilton was choosing between backing off and continuing to fight for first/second place - so he might have won, or finish second (he won), or not backing off, crashing and probably not finishing the race. It's pretty understandable he chose not to crash. There's no comparison between the two incidents.

As he did on Sunday. It's why Hamilton has made very few mistakes, and Vettel is making 1 every 3 races. Top racing car drivers don't make those kind of mistakes - that is why they're top racing drivers in the top teams. That is why it's a discussion point because it's almost inexplicable a driver with 4 world championships would be making these type of mistakes so regularly.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Stroll didn't commit his own error to need to rejoin, he was unfairly collided with
So bloody what? The point is how people rejoin, not whether or not it was their fault they went off in the first place.
I never commented on the Stroll incident because you set the criteria of 'winning driver mentality', I'm not aware Stroll has won in F1.
Firstly, although he's only 20 he has won a few titles, so he has a winning mentality. Secondly, the point about having a winning mentality is that Vettel is even more likely to take the risk of joining the track when unsure if it's clear or not. That drivers who might not have that winning mentality would also do it further strengthens my point.

So you're saying Vettel couldn't see any cars at all, so didn't take a risk, he took an almighty gamble that he was just going to pull out and luck was going to give him a gap, seriously?
He looked to his left, saw Hulkenberg coming, with a small gap behind, so he tried to get back on. He then looked again and saw Stroll at the last minute, when it was too late to do anything about it. Given his position on the track, it wasn't possible for him to see far enough back to drive on safely. The reality is that safety isn't the overriding goal of F1 drivers. Yes it was a gamble.

Form adds pressure, pressure effects performance, poor performance leads to mistakes. It's relevant.
I'm also not arguing that he's not making mistakes - it was a mistake to spin off in the first place. I'm simply explaining that the competitive F1 drivers will be desperate to get back on the track, and they'll get straight back on unless they know it's not clear.

Alexander Albon got pushed off the track on lap 3, and he just kept full speed and drove straight back onto the track, into the racing line in the middle of traffic, nearly hitting Magnussen. I have no idea where you get the idea that they don't take risks coming back on to the circuit.

Stroll hadn't spun off, he was knocked off. Hamilton went off because he was forced off. Many cars go off for reasons that are not their mistake. I was pointed out that once you make a big mistake, you don't compound that by another equally big one.
What a load of nonsense. This is simply about what drivers do to get back onto the track, to race. It doesn't matter whose fault going off was, what's done is done. The stewards penalised Stroll for the way he re-entered the track, they didn't say 'oh, well it wasn't his fault he went off, so no penalty'.

This is what Stroll said: “Coming back on the circuit myself I got penalised for a very similar thing, I couldn’t see anything from my right, couldn’t see who was coming and I tried to get back on track.”
He's admited not being able to see, but he just rejoined anyway. It's what they do.

Well you kind of are, you are saying Vettel was no different to any other winning driver mentality in that situation.
Overall I'm not saying they're all the same, but yes in that particular situation I'm saying others would have also risked collision to get back on. But it is of course completely different to the Hamilton incident in Canada.

If he really couldn't see as you're saying above, it wasn't a risk, it was just a reckless gamble, he played russian roulette with the track. After a death last week, I don't think many of the drivers would play that and take the risk of a huge collision, and a side on full T-bone collision there would have been nasty.
You're naive. The racers put their lives at risk every time they race, but when they do it they're not taking extra caution because someone else died a week earlier. He wasn't likely to cause a death, there should have been yellow flags waving to slow drivers down, the speed around that corner wouldn't have been high by F1 standards, and there was plenty of run-off space. Indeed he did get it wrong and pulled out straight in front of Stroll, but it never looked like it was going to cause a fatal accident. As I said above, Albon also rejoined in traffic with clearly no thought of the death last week.

That is why it's a discussion point because it's almost inexplicable a driver with 4 world championships would be making these type of mistakes so regularly.
So it seems you're confusing this specific incident with other mistakes he's made recently. You're playing the man, not the ball. I'm just looking at this specific incident in isolation. If there's a general discussion about his loss of form, and mistakes he's been making, you carry on with whomever you were discussing that with, but that's not what I'm discussing. I'm just discussing how he re-entered the track. He took a risk/gamble, whatever you want to call it, and it didn't pay off. It's the same risk other racers take. Stroll took a risk coming back on, as did Albon, and that's just in that race in the space of 3 laps. You haven't commented on the Albon incident because he got lucky and missed Magnussen. You wouldn't be discussing the Vettel incident if he'd been lucky and come back just after Stroll.

So I've given 2 examples from the same race of drivers carelessly coming back onto the track. I've also given an example of a driver reversing back onto a track and hitting someone. Where are the examples of drivers not being sure whether or not it's clear (so they're in a position where they need to play it safe or gamble) and they've decided to wait for the entire field to pass?

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm just discussing how he re-entered the track. He took a risk/gamble, whatever you want to call it, and it didn't pay off. It's the same risk other racers take.

I can't be motivated to read the rest, because ultimately you think other experienced winning drivers would take the same risk/gamble, I don't. I think only a driver under immense pressure, in poor form making poor decisions does what Vettel did. It was not an act of a driver in control of what he is doing making clear decisions. And that is ultimately where our opinions differ, because I don't think experienced former world champions make those kind of mistakes. Really, we could go on and on, but we know neither of us will budge.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Blimey, we're going cheap now.
No, what's cheap is that you managed to quote me 8 times in one massive reply, so I responded in kind and then you have the cheek to say you won't bother reading it.

While it's fine if you don't want to be in a detailed discussion, it's Nibble like to be happy to post your mammoth thoughts on it and then claim it's too much to read the reply.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No, what's cheap is that you managed to quote me 8 times in one massive reply, so I responded in kind and then you have the cheek to say you won't bother reading it.

While it's fine if you don't want to be in a detailed discussion, it's Nibble like to be happy to post your mammoth thoughts on it and then claim it's too much to read the reply.

If you wanted a detailed discussion where two people might listen to each other's opinions, you don't start by calling them naive or say they're talking nonsense etc.

In terms of marathon replies, my 8 quotes amounted to about 10 lines of text. Yours about 30, the previous 15 or so. Maybe trying to be more concise would help?:shrug:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you wanted a detailed discussion where two people might listen to each other's opinions, you don't start by calling them naive or say they're talking nonsense etc.
I was called naive by Icy Gull yesterday. Very naive actually. You quoted his post supporting his general view. You didn't seem to have a problem with the language then, but now I say someone's naive and I'm the bad guy :rolleyes: You also reply with childish remarks like 'you are hilarious when you get going' and then you claim foul when I say you're talking nonsense. You just make the rules up as you go along to fit your agenda.

In terms of marathon replies, my 8 quotes amounted to about 10 lines of text. Yours about 30, the previous 15 or so. Maybe trying to be more concise would help?:shrug:
Obviously I've written more, because I actually have evidence of drivers joining the track in traffic, despite not being able to see whether it was clear or not. You've come up with nothing, so of course you've got less to say.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was called naive by Icy Gull yesterday. Very naive actually. You quoted his post supporting his general view. You didn't seem to have a problem with the language then, but now I say someone's naive and I'm the bad guy :rolleyes: You just make the rules up as you go along to fit your agenda.

Obviously I've written more, because I actually have evidence of drivers joining the track in traffic, despite not being able to see whether it was clear or not. You've come up with nothing, so of course you've got less to say.

I just cannot compete with this level of arrogance.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I just cannot compete with this level of arrogance.
Wow. Pot, kettle. I get called very naive, and you post childish remarks. Then when I say you're naive and talking nonsense, you say that I'm the preventing sensible discussion. WTF? This is like arguing with Trump.

And I have posted examples whilst you haven't, so you claim I'm arrogant. It's pathetic.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wow. Pot, kettle. I get called very naive, and you post childish remarks. Then when I say you're naive and talking nonsense, you say that I'm the preventing sensible discussion. WTF? This is like arguing with Trump.

And I have posted examples whilst you haven't, so you claim I'm arrogant. It's pathetic.

I never called you anything. Just keep talking, it must be me, or Nibble or anyone else you're discussing with right, it couldn't be you could it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just keep talking, it must be me, or Nibble or anyone else you're discussing with right, it couldn't be you could it.
You honestly can't see how ridiculous it is to claim that I'm stopping a serious discussion by calling you naive, when I was called naive first and you were being childish?

The truth is you know you're in the wrong there, but you won't even admit that because you think it makes the rest of your argument look weak.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You honestly can't see how ridiculous it is to claim that I'm stopping a serious discussion by calling you naive, when I was called naive first and you were being childish?

The truth is you know you're in the wrong there, but you won't even admit that because you think it makes the rest of your argument look weak.

Of course it does. Enjoy the rest of your day. :thumbsup:

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Wow didn't expect Hamilton to make the front row. Leclerc's race to lose tomorrow..

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This season has become very interesting. Mercs now struggling, Lewis appears to be relishing having to chase results. Interesting tactic to be starting on medium tyres.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
What has happened to take away Hamilton and Mercedes dominance?

It appears that the progression of the car / upgrades at Ferrari during the season has exceeded the pace at which the Merc car has progressed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here