Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Formula 1 2019

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
he wasn't, he pulled alongside, Lelerc then got ahead . . . half a car. He could have given Hamilton a bit more room, but wanted the best line through for himself . . . . or would have compromised his own line, it was a bit agressive, but Hamilton knew what was coming. a warning was fair.

Luckily it was an incident between a young driver and an experienced one. If that had been an equally young Hamilton there would have been an accident. Lewis has matured so much in the last few years.

I think the outcome would have been very different it it had been Verstappen and Le Clerc

Really looking forward to races where the three of them are competing at the front

Last edited:

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Great GP. Le Clerc came of age today, he was pushed so hard by Hamilton. Maybe he was a little lucky not to be penalised for squeezing Lewis off the track and then going off and taking a short cut to retain the lead. But this was a Ferrari winning at a home GP for the first time in a decade, the stewards were not going to risk the aftermath of penalising him.

Not many drivers can drive that well under the pressure put on him, so big congrats to Le Clerc. Vettel, however, is a spent force, learner driver levels of driving the way he came back onto the track after spinning off. Loved Stroll getting the hump and then doing pretty well exactly the same a couple of minutes later.

Enjoyed that. We now we move on to Monaco at night without the glamour at the normally very boring Singapore Grand Prix. Love to see this one dropped from the calendar.

I only managed to see brief highlights but the dodgiest part looked like where CLC took that little slip road to cut a corner, and by doing to maintained the lead. Presumably he would have had to slow down significantly / lock up to keep within track limits which could have resulted in him losing the lead. If that sort of thing is now acceptable it does seem to give quite an advantage to the guy in front- sort of 'anything goes' regarding track limits on the basis that they haven't gained a place.... but they have succeeded in maintaining one!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Luckily it was an incident between a young driver and an experienced one. If that had been an equally young Hamilton there would have been an accident. Lewis has matured so much in the last few years.

I think the outcome would have been very different it it had been Verstappen and Le Clerc

Really looking forward to races where the three of them are competing at the front

I agree, Add to that Ricciardo who can race with the best of them, the Renault is getting there slowly, Norris, who looks every bit as good as his car, and a few others. What we really want is less downforce and more driver.

As far as youth/experience are concerned, none of these guys are newbies, all of the feeder series are ferociously competitive, and they can all drive/race. Let's just hope CL and MV don't get corporatised too much and turn into points banking pro's like Bottas!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
My assumption is that he couldn't see. That's what the commentators believed, since you can't move much in the car. And it wouldn't have made sense in any scenario to pull out if he knew Stroll was there.

Yes they were likely to be quite bunched, and it was a big risk, but there were some gaps. There was a gap behind Stroll, so if he'd waited half a second longer he'd have got away with it and rejoined in 8th place. His alternative was to sit there and wait for a marshal to notice that he needed someone to guide him back on, so he'd have come on in last place, quite away behind the driver in front, with his race over.

You're suggestion is that he did that, immediately accepting that his race was over. With his choice, at least he had some chance of being in the top 10 and still in a position to finish high up. I see it as an understandable choice from someone who wants to win.

The teams have the live GPS of where every car is on track so he could/should be told over the radio when it's safe to move.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For a self confessed “non fan” of F1 you are pretty involved in this thread!
I love motorsport, always have, I just don't like what they've done with the pinnacle of it. I've been to several F1 GPs, as well as plenty of other racing throughout the years. I was at Goodwood this year.

Vettel has absolutely no chance of winning the Championship. It was a very dangerous move of a desperate and selfish has been :smile:
I agree that it was dangerous, desperate and selfish. I'm just saying it's understandable that that is what a racer would do. You see him as a has been, but he won't agree, he still wants to win.

If it had been a rookie it may have been vaguely understandable but unforgivable from a four time champion.
I'm not sure any four time champion would have sat there watching the whole field drive past, waiting to be waved back on.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

It’s maturity but it’s also pragmatism. Lewis knows that regular podiums will deliver him a 6th title. No need to take wild risks to win a race.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I love motorsport, always have, I just don't like what they've done with the pinnacle of it. I've been to several F1 GPs, as well as plenty of other racing throughout the years. I was at Goodwood this year.

I agree that it was dangerous, desperate and selfish. I'm just saying it's understandable that that is what a racer would do. You see him as a has been, but he won't agree, he still wants to win.

I'm not sure any four time champion would have sat there watching the whole field drive past, waiting to be waved back on

Anyone driving like a 4 time champion wouldn't have got himself into that position in the first place.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I only managed to see brief highlights but the dodgiest part looked like where CLC took that little slip road to cut a corner, and by doing to maintained the lead. Presumably he would have had to slow down significantly / lock up to keep within track limits which could have resulted in him losing the lead. If that sort of thing is now acceptable it does seem to give quite an advantage to the guy in front- sort of 'anything goes' regarding track limits on the basis that they haven't gained a place.... but they have succeeded in maintaining one!
I have no idea how that doesn't get a penalty.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Anyone driving like a 4 time champion wouldn't have got himself into that position in the first place.
4 time champions never lose control of their car? Don't be silly.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The teams have the live GPS of where every car is on track so he could/should be told over the radio when it's safe to move.
Good point. Has it happened that way much before? I'm not sure how well that would work when there's such a small gap between cars. The whole team could get in trouble for telling a driver to go, when it's such a tight call.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
4 time champions never lose control of their car? Don't be silly.

Not never. But Vettel has spun off track with no interference from other drivers quite a few times in the last couple of years. I'm struggling to think of a time Hamilton has done that. Vettel is putting himself into these positions with unforced major errors. If you're rejoining the race it's up to you to make sure you're doing it safely.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not never. But Vettel has spun off track with no interference from other drivers quite a few times in the last couple of years. I'm struggling to think of a time Hamilton has done that. Vettel is putting himself into these positions with unforced major errors.
So? The fact is, he is a winner and has a winner's attitude, and winners don't sit by the side of the track. That he's not as good as he used to be doesn't make any difference.
If you're rejoining the race it's up to you to make sure you're doing it safely.
Indeed, and I've not said otherwise. But the truth is, winners don't do that. Winners take risks.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Are we accepting the notion that a F1 driver can't look left or right? Even a little bit? Vettel said he couldn't see him. Of course he'd say that, what he meant was that he expected a driver from a inferior team to swerve from the track to let him back on. He's just arrogant.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
With other people's lives apparently

So? The fact is, he is a winner and has a winner's attitude, and winners don't sit by the side of the track. That he's not as good as he used to be doesn't make any difference.
Indeed, and I've not said otherwise. But the truth is, winners don't do that. Winners take risks.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Winners don't tend to spin off running in 4th with no one around them...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Winners don't tend to spin off running in 4th with no one around them...
Of course they do, all winners have spun off at some point when not under immediate pressure. Are you seriously suggesting that 4 times F1 world champion Vettel is not a winner?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
There are a number of reasons for spinning besides being a ****. I've done them all in my 15 years racing . .lack of concentration is usually the cause . . . .several people had moments at the same point so there may have been something on the track, but SV would have known so the only reason can be eye off the ball, which is typical of his performances in the last few years really. He just doesn't seem committed to the cause any more and F1 requires more than most.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Of course they do, all winners have spun off at some point when not under immediate pressure. Are you seriously suggesting that 4 times F1 world champion Vettel is not a winner?

Not since 26 August 2018 he isn't.

You seem to be making an argument that winners in the same situation would have gone into the path of Lance Stroll because they take risks. It's not a great argument.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not since 26 August 2018 he isn't.
He is a winner. Just because he hasn't won a race this season doesn't suddenly mean he's not a winner.

You seem to be making an argument that winners in the same situation would have gone into the path of Lance Stroll because they take risks.
Yes.
It's not a great argument.
And you're making an argument that winners in that situation would just sit at the side of the track with their engine running, watching all the other competitors race by, hoping that a marshal turns up telling them they can carry on. That's a terrible argument.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here