Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Formula 1 2019

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It appears that the progression of the car / upgrades at Ferrari during the season has exceeded the pace at which the Merc car has progressed.

And the emergence of Le Clerc who will probably stop Hamilton’s charge to winning as many titles as Schumacher, what a talent.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Well... I said it was Leclerc's to lose!

I missed the start so not sure if Ferrari dropped the ball there. They seemed to keep Vettel out so that Leclerc could pass using the undercut which seemed like it would have compromised Vettel to some extent- had he been able to continue, so not sure if that strategy benefitted the team overall. Then I would have been tempted to get Vettel to limp around to the pits to avoid the VSC, as pulling him off the track and the VSC then had a negative impact upon Leclerc's race. Minor issues but Ferrari do still seem to struggle with in-race strategy. Mercedes capitalised this time.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well... I said it was Leclerc's to lose!

I missed the start so not sure if Ferrari dropped the ball there. They seemed to keep Vettel out so that Leclerc could pass using the undercut which seemed like it would have compromised Vettel to some extent- had he been able to continue, so not sure if that strategy benefitted the team overall. Then I would have been tempted to get Vettel to limp around to the pits to avoid the VSC, as pulling him off the track and the VSC then had a negative impact upon Leclerc's race. Minor issues but Ferrari do still seem to struggle with in-race strategy. Mercedes capitalised this time.

Ferrari said Vettel was unable to continue.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
LH wins and as per BBC Sport Vettel refused to obey team orders to let LeClerc in.

Would I be right in thinking that LH needs to win 3 of the last 6 Grand Prix to be certain of the title.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Enjoyed that and well done Bottas for keeping Le Clerc at bay, taking one for the team again.

I am looking forward to next season if Ferrari are challenging for the title, the melt down in the Ferrari garage as Vettel and Le Clerc ramp their spats up will be compulsive viewing :thumbsup:

Anyone care to explain how Vettel won driver of the day from the public vote?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think he is far off being crowned F1's greatest ever driver.

Nah, he's British. We love to find fault...no other decent drivers, best car, lucky, bellend, etc

I think Le Clerc is a great talent (whingy one but even so) but I am convinced Hamilton would have made a better fist of trying to get past Bottas yesterday, so Le Clerc has a long way to go yet imo to come close to Hamilton's street fighting nous. The fact that he had to cheat in Monza to keep the slower Hamilton Mercedes behind him being a case in point.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Enjoyed that and well done Bottas for keeping Le Clerc at bay, taking one for the team again.

I am looking forward to next season if Ferrari are challenging for the title, the melt down in the Ferrari garage as Vettel and Le Clerc ramp their spats up will be compulsive viewing :thumbsup:

Anyone care to explain how Vettel won driver of the day from the public vote?

I can only surmise that people don't like team orders, and enjoyed someone ignoring them and just getting on with racing. I also wonder if there's some anti-sentiment towards Leclerc, being seen as a bit of a spoilt brat with his repeated team radio strops.

I'd have gone for Albon.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I can only surmise that people don't like team orders, and enjoyed someone ignoring them and just getting on with racing. I also wonder if there's some anti-sentiment towards Leclerc, being seen as a bit of a spoilt brat with his repeated team radio strops.

I'd have gone for Albon.

Vettel is more of a spoilt brat than Le Clerc and has the nasty win at all costs streak that I disliked so much about Schumacher. No rules for our little German, unless they help him.

It does make for great racing and controversy though :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Vettel is more of a spoilt brat than Le Clerc and has the nasty win at all costs streak that I disliked so much about Schumacher. No rules for our little German, unless they help him.

It does make for great racing and controversy though :thumbsup:

Mark Webber knows all about obeying team orders then having your team mate routinely ignore his.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Hmm, whether or not a driver obeys teams order says to me a lot about how much power they have in the team. I wonder if Seb has overplayed his hand? How Ferrari would love a decent compliant number 2, happy to take the money and hold up Hamilton and Verstappen so Le Clerc can take the wins. Can’t see who it would be on the current grid though.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hmm, whether or not a driver obeys teams order says to me a lot about how much power they have in the team. I wonder if Seb has overplayed his hand? How Ferrari would love a decent compliant number 2, happy to take the money and hold up Hamilton and Verstappen so Le Clerc can take the wins. Can’t see who it would be on the current grid though.

Like Hamilton / Alonso, I don't think they can make it work. Writing is on the wall. Alonso couldn't handle it and I don't think Vettel can.

If I were Ferrari, I'd possibly look at say Riccardo who is possibly seeing his move is well short of what he might have been expecting in terms of progress, and would be delighted to be in a title chasing team.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Like Hamilton / Alonso, I don't think they can make it work. Writing is on the wall. Alonso couldn't handle it and I don't think Vettel can.

If I were Ferrari, I'd possibly look at say Riccardo who is possibly seeing his move is well short of what he might have been expecting in terms of progress, and would be delighted to be in a title chasing team.

Get Hamilton in there with Le Clerc :thumbsup:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Except Ricciardo is a better racer than most out there and in a decent car would probably give Leclerc a harder time than needed. Certainly a harder time than Vettel.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Except Ricciardo is a better racer than most out there and in a decent car would probably give Leclerc a harder time than needed. Certainly a harder time than Vettel.

Which would be great for Ferrari, I don't think having two equals is a bad thing, the point is Vettel at Ferrari as Alonso at MaClaren won't see their young team mate as an equal. Ricciardo is more experienced, but knows he would be on equal footing in the team, therefore both drivers excepting orders depending on who is fastest etc.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I can only surmise that people don't like team orders, and enjoyed someone ignoring them and just getting on with racing..

He seemed quite happy to follow the team orders, that decreed LeClerc allow him a free pass to the front at the start :shrug:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

I reckon Sainz would be a better fit than Ricciardo

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Next year could be really good. LeClerc and Vettel look like they're heading towards a Hamilton/Rosberg situation. Hopefully the Ferrari's and mercs will be fairly evenly matched so you can chuck Hamilton in the mix who will love being involved in a proper three way fight knowing he has an actual wing man.

I think Red Bull could be interesting too. Albon looks a very decent driver so it'll be interesting to see how Verstappen takes to that as the senior driver rather than the upstart.

And McClaren will have a mercedes engine, two good young drivers. They could be well back in the mix too.

So we could see some great intra-team fights, a new world champion, or a five time world champion or Lewis equalling Scumacher's all time record. He might even pass Schumacher's record number of race wins next season.

We'll get Vettel v LeClerc, hopefully Vettel V LeClerc V Hamilton, LeClerc v Verstappen, Verstappen v Albon and the McClaren's getting in amongst it too. And Bottas doing a fine job as the mercedes number two while pretending he's seriously trying to win the title.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here