Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Former Albion players on the move

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Tolaj scored 8 (Eight) goals in one Swiss u19 game. Really shows how difficult it can be to 'make it'.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Tolaj scored 8 (Eight) goals in one Swiss u19 game. Really shows how difficult it can be to 'make it'.
Hmmm the step up to big boys football can come as a big shock though. The National League is very physical too, it will be intgeresting to see how he makes out.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Luke Staight spent five years in Albion's academy system from U-9 level onwards until he was released at the end of his U-13 season. He signed for Portsmouth last season (U-16s) and has now commenced his scholarship with the Fratton Park outfit.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Good luck Luke.

Sure I can’t be the only person who sees that shirt as “Totally Straight”… 😂

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
From a premier league contender to non league.
That is a steep drop.
Football careers can be all over the place. Couple of seasons ago Horsham had a keeper called Sam Howes. Had been at West Ham academy thru to U21s (I think). Then released and ended up in non-league with Horsham, then went to National League (Conference in old money) with Wealdstone and he just got signed by Leyton Orient in League 1 for this season.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Football careers can be all over the place. Couple of seasons ago Horsham had a keeper called Sam Howes. Had been at West Ham academy thru to U21s (I think). Then released and ended up in non-league with Horsham, then went to National League (Conference in old money) with Wealdstone and he just got signed by Leyton Orient in League 1 for this season.
Absolutely, however a lot of players at non league level play lower than they perhaps could for either 1.) Better money or 2.) It's local and they don't want to move across the country for a 1 year contract.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Howes went to school in East Grinstead, I believe.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Howes went to school in East Grinstead, I believe.
There's the answer then. I know of several ex-Albion academy players who were offered contracts abroad or elsewhere in the country but instead chose to drop down to Ryman level. A lot also fall out of love with the game when being released and a few hundred quid a month to play for your local side is a real temptation compared to a 1 year contract in Barrow or The Netherlands.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
There's the answer then. I know of several ex-Albion academy players who were offered contracts abroad or elsewhere in the country but instead chose to drop down to Ryman level. A lot also fall out of love with the game when being released and a few hundred quid a month to play for your local side is a real temptation compared to a 1 year contract in Barrow or The Netherlands.
Do you know what is next for George Cox? I believe he left Fortuna Sittard at the end of last season.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Trialled with a couple of Championship clubs so far. Looks like that’s his next destination.
And good luck to him, he always looked an excellent prospect to me on the few times I saw him play and to make so many appearances in the Netherlands suggests he's definitely got a good career ahead of him.

I am very surprised that Gyokeres has kicked on to the extent that he has, but good for him and good for us getting a nice payout long after his departure. I'm sure Sporting is a move made with a view to a Premier League move in a year or two's time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here