Forgotten/rare phrases

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
" Fine words indeed but, they'll butter no Parsnips "

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just remembered the technichal term for taking a young lady from behind..... Backscuttling

D

Deleted User X18H

'Up in Annies room behind the clock'

'Mrs Oojackanpiffy'

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
"Sweet as a nut"

I haven't trawled through this whole thread to see if it is here but this really got on my nerves. (Gets on my wick - there's another)

Nuts are NOT sweet, they're savory. If it was used to highlight something that wasn't what it was supposed to be then fair enough, but it was used to state that something was good.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
A couple of annoying phrases that my Mum used to use when I was a kid:

"Going to see a man about a dog"- This was the stock response if you asked where someone was going and they were effectively saying mind your own business.

"Bread and Pull It" - This was the response when asking what was for pudding? It meant that you would get what you were given and don't be fussy.

Bang up to date the Mrs never swears but if pushed likes Twonker which is a polite amalgamation of Twat and Wankers

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
A couple of annoying phrases that my Mum used to use when I was a kid:

"Going to see a man about a dog"- This was the stock response if you asked where someone was going and they were effectively saying mind your own business.

"Bread and Pull It" - This was the response when asking what was for pudding? It meant that you would get what you were given and don't be fussy.

Bang up to date the Mrs never swears but if pushed likes Twonker which is a polite amalgamation of Twat and Wankers

Going to see a man about a dog was probably most commonly used when needing to go to the toilet.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
There are many, many words that were used by most of us in our schooldays that are (perhaps understandably) frowned upon now.

Spazzer, spastic, for example. And does anybody ever use the word fatso now to describe a more rotund type? It's all "chozzer", "lardarse", "pie muncher" etc. Not like in Ro-Land Browning's day (look it up, kids).

I wonder if Roland ever got together with that girl !

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
My Mum had a couple of interesting phrases.

If ever I was a bit overbearing she'd say that if I didn't stop I'd 'Land her up Haywards Heath' I took it as a reference to the asylum that was once up there. I use the phrase inherently but it is understandably met with blank expressions.

My favourite phrase of hers was in reference to my belly-aching (another expression) about dinner. I'd say 'what's for dinner' and she'd say 'Shit'n treacle'. I love that phrase and still use it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here