Forgotten bands from the 70s and 80s

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The deep freeze mice, heard them on the Peel show and bought the record, only played it once, now it is gathering dust in the attic. The only odd thing about the record was the pressing included some strange characters/designs on the vinal, think it was the band's idea.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
The Large One said:
If they are forgotten, how come you've remembered them?

a) because I'm digging through my old lp collection; and
b) because these ones aren't forgotten by me but will be by some. However, I'm hoping others will remind me of some I have forgotten. Jimmy the Hoover is a good example.

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The Large One said:
If they are forgotten, how come you've remembered them?

Anywya, anyone remember Jimmy the Hoover?

Me! I'm tantalisingly close to winning a prize? Wo Wo Ee Yeh Yeh:cool:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Trans X

Battered Wives

Forgotten Rebels

Max Webster

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Mustn't forget

Men Without Hats

Parachute Club

Split Enz

Icicle Works

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Bloody Hell-nearly forgot-

Martha and The Muffins

Leisure Process

and

Images In Vogue.

Minge

Jan 3, 2005
Zerra 1

The Knack

The Notsensibles

The Members

Splodgenessabounds

The Vapors

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
cheeseroll said:
Was it not Foxx ? and wasnt their song released in a dance stylee a couple of years ago.

What happened to Fox?

This band had hits in the 70's with "Only You Can", "Imagine Me, Imagine You" and also a hit in Germany ("He's got Magic").

The band was formed by Kenny Young (the man who got the credits for writing the song "Under the Boardwalk" for The Drifters in 1964). Lead singer of The Fox was Susan Traynor (from Australia) who earlier did backing vocals on Kenny Young's solo album "Last Stage for Silverworld" in 1973 and also was in a band called "Wooden Horse". The rest of the band included Herbie Armstrong (guitar and vocals), Pete Solley (keyboards), Jim Gannon (lead guitar), Gary Taylor (bass guitar)
and Jim Frank (drums & percussion). Kenny Young played guitars, percussion and vocals. Susan became known as Noosha Fox and their first album "FOX" was a top ten hit in 1975.

It appears that Roger Taylor of 'Queen' added backing vocals to the track 'Survival' on Fox's 'Tails of Illusion' album. Queen were in the same studio recording 'A Night at the Opera'.

What happened then?
Noosha Fox (Susan Traynor), had a solo career when she left the band (1977) during the late 70s and early 80's. She only had one minor hit with "Georgina Bailey".

Herbie Armstrong and Kenny Young moved on to a band called Yellow Dog and later Armstrong worked with Van Morrison in the late 70's and early 80's. Kenny Young has been working as a Record producer. Now Herbie is running a Restaurant together with his Swedish-born wife Elizabeth, in Hampshire called The Fountain Inn & Thai Restaurant. the rumour says they combine their talents in running one of the best eating places in the area.

Pete Solley joined Whitesnake on keyboards in 1977 for Snakebite. He's also played with Procol Harum, Mickey Jupp and many more. He has also produced records for Oingo Boingo, Motorhead and Romantics.

Jim Frank worked as an sound engineer for Alice Cooper ("Welcome to my nightmare") and Peter Gabriel's first solo album to mention a few.

Jim Gannon played with the band "Black Widow" and also did some vocals on Alice Cooper "Goes To Hell".

foxtails.jpg

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports