Footballers who smoke

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Jimmy Greave smoked about 40 a day - but then he never did run around much.

Sutton81

Jul 4, 2012
Can't believe footballers smoke to be honest, it will make a difference to performance and the lines between success and failure are so fine, don't understand players doing something that will actively slow them down, especially as the game has sped up so much since the 60s and 70s

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Scorates and Cruyff were absolute chainers apparently. I think they were pretty good footballers too...

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I know for a fact that Gazza is a heavy smoker! Dunno about his playing days though?

D

Deleted member 18477

zidane LOVED a smoke.

yea because smoking affects performance...

cashley cole who also smokes about 20 a day is really really unfit isnt he. he really struggles for pace and can never last 90 mins... OH!

D

Deleted member 18477

Saw Casper outside the Amex one evening after a game last season having a crafty fag.

crafty like he's trying to hide it? he's been spotted smoking everywhere by the sounds of it. bad boy ankers!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
To be fair looking at the way Rooney awkwardly puffs his fag, doesn't look like he does it very often. The odd cigarette on a night out isn't gonna do anyone any harm.
The odd fag will be less harmful than a constant smoker yes, but you can't say it isn't going to do any harm.
Sounds like your trying to convince yourself by others agreeing.

I thought smoking being cool went out in the 50's, guess its like all fashions, nothing for the new generations to create for the're own, so recycle from the past.
Honestly? What is cool about smoking , and I'm saying this as a smoker for 25 years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To play football for a living is cool...and smoking is cool, double cool if you can do both.

and you're big AND clever as well. Some people have it all.

Durlston

NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Slaven Bilic used to smoke about 20 cigarettes a day when he was a centre-back for West Ham. Quality player although he always has that pikey look about him. :smokin:

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Seem's a lot of footballers are heavy smokers. If it doesn't effect their performance levels and they can still keep match fit, then I don't really see too much of a problem with it as long as It's behind closed doors.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it will make a difference to performance and the lines between success and failure are so fine, don't understand players doing something that will actively slow them downs

they arent doing the 100m or 5000km though, the line is much wider and often its more about skill than speed (ask Pirlo). guess what, it probably doesn't slow them down anyway.

The odd fag will be less harmful than a constant smoker yes, but you can't say it isn't going to do any harm.
you can, because it probably doesnt do any harm. casual smoking that is. the body cleanses and a few fags with a beer on a Saturday night isnt going to be in the system a few days later. in fact, they reckon you would be clear of harmfull effects after a couple of years if you gave up a 20 a day habit before you're 30. (NHS study from late 90's, intended to encourage giving up young, suppressed when it was pointed out it wasnt quite the right message for thos in their teens and 20's)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports