Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football League To Be Renamed

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
The EFL have just announced a new league sponsorship package for the next 5 seasons...

EDF EFL.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I like marketing. But it is usually done really badly.

Thus, why have a championship an a league 1 and 2 in the EFL, and a Premiership in the, er, nothing? Only the English . . . .

When the Championship came in, my suggestion was give all the other leagues a special name too. Having the third tier called 'Division 1' is bonkers. Having the 5th tier, which is pretty much fully professional, being classed as 'non league' and called 'the Valderama Premiership' or whatever it is this week, is completeley incoherent.

Thus I suggest this for the 5 professional leagues, with increasingly overblown titles in inverse proportion to merit:

Premiership
Championship
Dominationship
Supremacyship
Revelationship (Christians only)

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
On BBC 5live they suggested they changed it because the previous 'The Football League' TFL clashed with Transport for London logo/hashtag :shrug:

#storminateacup

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
On BBC 5live they suggested they changed it because the previous 'The Football League' TFL clashed with Transport for London logo/hashtag :shrug:

#storminateacup

Seriously? The first time I have EVER seen "The Football League" referred to as TFL was in your post!

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I actually don't know where to start with this wankpottery. As pointed out don't think Cardiff or Newport will be too pleased. Then there's the God awful logo (was it REALLY a school competition? If so WHY? Did the Marketing Consultant c:censored:s blow the entire budget on the long liquid lunch that clearly spawned such a horrendously cringeworthy idea?). Not to mention the utter pointlessness of it all and the fact that it will probably all change the second they add a sponsor to it anyway. Does "EFL Championship" effortlessly spill off the tongues of commentators and results announcers? Does it bollocks.

What an enormous waste of everyone's time, effort and money. I hate modern football.

I was waiting for a bite. The school competition thing was bullsh*t. Long day - sorry.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Seriously? The first time I have EVER seen "The Football League" referred to as TFL was in your post!

Perhaps that's the point, they couldn't use TFL because another major organisation was using it. Or the bods on 5live were making it up:shrug:

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
You're full of ship?

I like marketing. But it is usually done really badly.

Thus, why have a championship an a league 1 and 2 in the EFL, and a Premiership in the, er, nothing? Only the English . . . .

When the Championship came in, my suggestion was give all the other leagues a special name too. Having the third tier called 'Division 1' is bonkers. Having the 5th tier, which is pretty much fully professional, being classed as 'non league' and called 'the Valderama Premiership' or whatever it is this week, is completeley incoherent.

Thus I suggest this for the 5 professional leagues, with increasingly overblown titles in inverse proportion to merit:

Premiership
Championship
Dominationship
Supremacyship
Revelationship (Christians only)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, the Football League (TFL) has been around at least a hundred years before Transport for London, so it looks as if Transport for London should move over!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Looks like a fabric softener or dishwasher tablet logo.

The logo's fine and makes perfect sense: 72 dots = 72 teams, 3 stripes = 3 divisions, blue and white = England. That's fine, but the name is disappointing because there are Welsh clubs in it.

Perhaps they should have called it the Anglo-Welsh Football United League or, simply, A.W.F.U.L?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Don't mind the logo change - needed an update, the current one is very mid-2000s

The name change though ... what's the point.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Well, the Football League (TFL) has been around at least a hundred years before Transport for London, so it looks as if Transport for London should move over!

Agreed although to be honest I'm not that bothered. Lots of multimedia marketing #b******s

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Would anyone know what the current logo is, without looking it up?

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I'm just going to keep calling it the 'football league' no matter what they change it to.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
"We believe the EFL name and brand will give our competitions an identity that is new and distinct, while at the same time retaining our unique heritage. As such, it will be something that all fans can identify with - whether they be young or old, at home or abroad.”

No, it isn't.
No, it doesn't.
No, it isn't.
No, I don't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here