Football League Show - Still no credit!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Franchise manager irked me somewhat to be honest. Along with the comments about how teams don't like playing at Withdean because it is awful, yet we play there 23 times in a season...we will struggle in the Amex because it is nice?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Normally water off a duck's back for me, but Robinson's comments (and of course those from that idiot Claridge) we pretty disingenuous. Hard for Karl to admit that we are streets ahead given that he manages a rival team, but we've seen from other threads that we are streets ahead of this league and even ahead of the likes of Leicester/Norwich etc at the same stage of the season. I don't remember them being held up as having others teams "as good as them". It's clearly not true. We are the stand out team of League One. But seems we won't get the accolades on BBC1. So what.

I think a lot of the "lack of accolades" is due to our style of play.

Because we don't play in the way a normal league 1 side plays they are obviously struugle to understand why it has worked so well so they find it hard to praise it.

All they see is a team that keeps the ball at the back and 'timewastes', they don't see how it works tactically, in that it tires out the opposition forwards, making them less effective or how it helps to create space further up the field for us to go forward etc....

Until the penny finally drops, they will continue to dismiss our style of play, however successful it proves

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Franchise manager irked me somewhat to be honest. Along with the comments about how teams don't like playing at Withdean because it is awful, yet we play there 23 times in a season...we will struggle in the Amex because it is nice?

Yes, I too was a bit confused by that comment. An old cliché I know, but the table just doesn't lie. We have been, are and will finish, the best side in this league.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
I think they made a fair point, which was we havent played particularly well, but have continued to win games.

Doesnt seem unreasonable ?

The Media also love a 'story', but there is no 'story' in us anymore as we are 13 points clear.
This.
I'm more than happy to slip under the radar for as long as possible to be honest. We'll just quietly go about the business of winning games while the telebods rave about how the mighty have fallen ( saints/sw etc )

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Next Saturday. NSC. Mass Texting Session. Hopefully they read one out and say they've had a lot of texts similar = funny.

D

Deleted User X18H

I regularly chat with 'Clem ' he says SCC at Withdean will be an epic.

Oct 25, 2003
the thing about our home form being so good because withdean is shit winds me up aswell

1) do your research, we've had awful home form in the past

2) we're brilliant at home because we're generally brilliant

3) we've been here for ages, are opposition players suddenly really suprised by how shit withdean is?!

4) we're not going to be shit next season, because we have (imo) the best manager outside the premiership; and the funds to improve an already impressive squad

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
the thing about our home form being so good because withdean is shit winds me up aswell

1) do your research, we've had awful home form in the past

2) we're brilliant at home because we're generally brilliant

3) we've been here for ages, are opposition players suddenly really suprised by how shit withdean is?!

4) we're not going to be shit next season, because we have (imo) the best manager outside the premiership; and the funds to improve an already impressive squad

Very well said. This is a complete myth. Maybe when we won div 3 and div 2 Withers being unusual helped a tiny, tiny bit - but not now! All it would have taken in research terms would be to glance at last seasons table and our shite home form.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I thought Claridge's comments were very accurate. No one can claim we have been playing people off the park recently, but we are consistent, and Murray is a different class. Too many fans have very thin skins. The MK manager's comments were also fair, other teams are as good as us on the day.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And still...were not the best team apparently but only the most consistent, 80 points with games in hand.

Seven wins on the trot...sake.
That was a ridiculous statement. Karl Robinson thinks he can judge a team on the one game we played at his club, and ignore the fact that up until now we've easily been the best club in the division. Does he not realise that we just didn't play well that day?

They showed a lot of the Bournemouth game, but fair play, it was good to watch.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
On a related point I sent the following to the Sunday Times sports section this morning. I don't suppose they'll publish it but I do feel slightly better.

We all expect the Sunday Times's football coverage to be Premiership-obsessive, but what possible justification was there for publishing the usual huge Premier League table in last week's issue when there hadn't actually been any matches played and then failing to find enough room for complete Football League tables even though there had been virtually full programmes of games in Leagues One and Two?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think they made a fair point, which was we havent played particularly well, but have continued to win games.

Doesnt seem unreasonable ?
No, that was Claridge, and he was being complimentary, saying that it was a sign of a good club that we could win even when not playing to our ability. It was Karl that was being a numpty. When talking about Peterborough playing at MK, he confused the best 'performance' with the best 'team'.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That was a ridiculous statement. Karl Robinson thinks he can judge a team on the one game we played at his club, and ignore the fact that up until now we've easily been the best club in the division. Does he not realise that we just didn't play well that day?

They showed a lot of the Bournemouth game, but fair play, it was good to watch.

Do you therefore think he should judge us on matches he has not seen us play?

He did say the table does not lie, seems reasonable to us, for we are TOP OF THE LEAGUE and have been so for SIX MONTHS

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But that's exactly what we are - consistent. Six of our seven wins were by a single goal.
While it's true that our last 7 games have seen a lot of one goal victories, we do have the best goal difference in the league, so it's not like we've always been winning by a single goal.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
What a cracking game B'muff V Charlton, Pugh and Feeney would be two players I would be targeting. i don't like Claridge because he always seems to damn us with faint praise and Robinson does not come across as very intelligent but both made relevant points, there are bigger clubs than Brighton and there may be better performances and players but we are consistent, our defence is strong are midfield are creative and hard working and our strikers dangerous, we are superbly fit and have fantastic belief and confidence and we have the best young manager in the country, I feel we are also laying the foundations for future success. The team that we should be modelling ourselves on is Swansea and they have never been a fashionable club.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That was another one of their bollox comments. Teams didn't mind coming to the withdean when we were losing in the championship. They didn't mind their 3 point trip when we looked like going down from league 1 a couple of years ago. They lose when they come down now because we're better than them.

Is it because of thier nice stadiums that teams like Arsenal and Barcelona lose at home every week? f***ing idiots.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do you therefore think he should judge us on matches he has not seen us play?
If he's only seen us play one game in the last 4 months, then he shouldn't be saying there are other teams as good as us. He should say 'I've only seen them once as I've been busy working with my side' etc.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We've had to grind out the results over the last 7 games , opposition teams have had to change their normal style of play so that we don't give them a spanking. We'll only get some recognition from the FLS when we amass over 100 points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports