Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Florin Andone joins Cadiz on one season loan

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
This seems like a good time to revisit the "horror tackle" that Paul Merson thought deserved 5 red cards.

It's obvious that Andone is attempting to put himself between Valery and the ball.

If you look at Andone's head, he turns away from Valery and is only looking at the ball.

Unfortunately Valery stretches out a leg which Andone doesn't see and catches badly.

Yes it was reckless, and yes a red card offence. But I don't think he did it on purpose.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
He's a far better player than Connolly. And probably less of a dick too. I'm not too worried about the odd red card, some of the best players in the world have been partial to a red or two every now and then. The bigger worry is the rumours about how unpopular he was with the squad. Although the squad is quite different now.

It's a bad idea to keep someone if they are unpopular and a disruptive influence, however good they are. So it's up for Potter to use his management skills to decide, I guess.
^---- This sums up my view perfectly as well.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
The ex-alcoholic, ex footballer Paul Merson who gambled away £7m and blames the betting companies for it?

Typical Sky giving him a platform to air his warped views.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Andone Reborn or Andone written off?

Looks like GP isnt convinced in his ability at PL level?. Should give Florin a real confidence boost that AC is deemed better. Good we've got lots of Striker back ups!

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19509445.graham-potter-admits-will-big-ask-florin-andone-play-premier-league/
Looks like GP has doubts about his ability to play reguarky in the PL because of ongoing injury problems. Impact sub (occasionally) or loan? We're paying his wages for another two years yet, I believe - need to find some value for that money somehow.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I didn't read that the same was as you did.

My cynisism always shines through.

Youre right though ofc BV. GP isnt going to slag him off or denigrate him publicly. It does look more like he sees Andones immediate future away from the squad or not as a first team starter? could also be kinder way of framing it by saying what he said if the real truth is he's not redeemed himself from the very poor outburts previously or if he' still seen as too unstable/disruptive in the dressing room. GP would never say those things if they were in fact true.

Bigger picture obvs is Locadia is shite and wont get a squad number, now it seems Andone maybe binned off. Zeqiri isn't ready. Welbz is injured and may likely be a few times in the season. That just leaves the inconsistent Maupay and the more inconsistent Connolly, unless your inbound prediction is correct.

It has to be, we'll be in all sorts of trouble if it doesnt.

The fact Bloom is a pro poker player gives me comfort, he knows what he's doing rn.

I thought Andone would be a decent option this season, obvs GP knows better and doesnt see it that way.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Looks like GP has doubts about his ability to play reguarky in the PL because of ongoing injury problems. Impact sub (occasionally) or loan? We're paying his wages for another two years yet, I believe - need to find some value for that money somehow.

You are right GT, summer 2023 he's contracted until

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Looks like GP isnt convinced in his ability at PL level?. Should give Florin a real confidence boost that AC is deemed better. Good we've got lots of Striker back ups!

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19509445.graham-potter-admits-will-big-ask-florin-andone-play-premier-league/

I have a very different read on Potter's comments from yours. I don't think he's commenting on his ability. He's commenting on his strength and fitness and how much they are willing to risk a recurrence of the injury. Basically: he needs a lot more minutes on the training pitch, and then minutes in non-Prem matches to prove his strength and fitness is back where it needs to be.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I didn't read it like that, I think he is just putting Andone, and us, on notice that he is not starting any games for us just yet, and is probably going to have to play a few games with the U23's or as sub for us.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I have a very different read on Potter's comments from yours. I don't think he's commenting on his ability. He's commenting on his strength and fitness and how much they are willing to risk a recurrence of the injury. Basically: he needs a lot more minutes on the training pitch, and then minutes in non-Prem matches to prove his strength and fitness is back where it needs to be.

I was being a bit Sarcastic. I know Potter isnt slagging him off. He's not the sort. We're much better at that sort of stuff on NSC :dunce:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I didn't read it like that, I think he is just putting Andone, and us, on notice that he is not starting any games for us just yet, and is probably going to have to play a few games with the U23's or as sub for us.
Yes, because of his injury problems and set-backs during recovery.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I would just love to see Andone start for us again. Proper fire in the belly sort, with no shortage of what we need up front. That time that got him sent to the naughty chair? He had a real nark on, due to that brainless quanker Bernardo booting him up the back of the leg pre-match for no sane reason at all. Far better attacking option than Maupay IMHO. Long overdue time to make Maupay EARN his place in the starting line-up, rather than be gifted it by default

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Yeah this.
At the point he was asked the question, we have 7 strikers on the books Maupay/Connolly/Andone/Zeqiri/Welbeck/Tau/Locadia.
Connolly/Zeqiri need game time to see if they are going to develop into Prem players.
Welbeck/Andone will need to be managed back to match fitness.
Tau/Locadia are either to be given chances off the bench or let go.

It's a big ask for Potter to manage all of these player's progression and get results.
If the club ship out Tau/Locadia and arrange loans for Zeqiri/Connolly, then he will have to use Andone, but until then I can see the priority being Connolly/Zeqiri/Welbeck.

I would really like to see Andone given a go, but I can see from Potter's point of view.
There is only so much he can achieve, with the players currently in the squad.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
With the price on the heads of a top quality striker i would of thought that it makes sense to hold on to a fit Andone this season and see what happens I would put him ahead of Connolly anyway.
We could be binning off a decent striker.
All ifs and buts but I wonder how many chances he would have taken that were offered to Maupay last season.
I think he is good enough, he also has strength and takes no shit off anyone.

Andone is as good as any other striker at the club on his day. . . in these times of make do and mend we need him. here's hoping HP can use him as our sauce for some goals.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With the price on the heads of a top quality striker i would of thought that it makes sense to hold on to A FIT Andone this season and see what happens I would put him ahead of Connolly anyway.

And there's the rub. A fit Andone. Will we ever have one? - and GPs interview makes it clear that that is the doubt about him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here