Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Five countries you detested visiting and would never return to.

Stumpy Tim

To Chennai twice but both long trips, the first four weeks and the second three months. Also spent time travelling round Tamil Nadu and Bangalore at weekends. I became desensitised to a lot of it on the second trip and for me the smell of poo and urine isn't the only one. It smells of spice and sandalwood and incense and heat too. It assaults the senses in every possible way and you probably either like it or loath it. I'd rather go to India than a lot of places in Northern or Eastern Europe. The missus detests the place however.

Having met your missus a few times, I can believe that!

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
In no particular order...

Turkey - worst food I have ever tasted and full of sweaty male perverts either trying to touch the women or dragging you into their shop for a cup of tea and telling you that they love English football and support Arsenal and Tottenham. Never understand why people go there on holiday. Awful place.

Dubai - full of people who just want your money, no class, too hot, nice hotels though. Only good for shopping and I hate shopping.

Finland - Full of drunken people drinking vodka at lunch times, also always dark when I go.

Saudi Arabia - The way they treat women is a disgrace, only place that I needed a body guard just to go work.

America - sorry controversial, love New York, but hated Florida, full of Brits trying to be American during their holidays. Another place where they just want your money and are so false. with that 'is a pleasure to serve you' sorry you just want my money.

God I sound miserable ...

On a positive, love France, Sweden, Greece, Thailand

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Only two countries I've yet to have a good experience of are France and Canada (the French speaking bit; possibly coincidentally!)

However I've not seen enough to say I detest them - France was the usual touristic crap on a damp October evening followed by a night in some horrible suburb that looked like the set of La Haine but a bit cleaner. Canada was Montreal - made worse by staying in suburban Montreal, which resembles Croydon right down to the burn marks. Dorval Airport itself is a horrible place where there was only one person I dealt with who actually understood customer service - the checkin terminal did a better job than the rest of them!

I've driven through northern France a fair few times from the tunnel entrance but I only stopped once in that entire time, to get fuel on a mad rush back.

:(

(although I do mostly live there cause its cheap...)

TBF I was on a work placement. Was told it was going to be in Dublin. Turned out to be Park West. Nothing but the Days Inn and the prison for company most nights unless you took the 30 Euro cab ride to the city centre.

It also didn't help that one cabbie, taking us back to the airport, took a short cut through an estate whilst telling us in his thickest accent "I wouldn't walk through here lads, not with you being English."

To balance it I love the centre of Dublin and the Irish. It was the best laugh I had onsite anywhere. Really intelligent guys who say f*** and c*** like they're commas. Another time the company CEO was in a pub in town and literally dragged us in off the streets.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I can't detest any place i have visited. Been held up at knife point in Istanbul strip club. Bundled into a police van in Georgia for police to demand a ransom from the ship. Asked a brazilian taxi driver to take us to a decent bar only for us to be dropped off in a favela but what a cracking night. Many othwr stupid incidents like these. But thats what makes travelling fun

Bet you have some good stories to tell.

Chucky20

Jan 25, 2011
Woodingdean
I think the people saying Belgium must've had their eye shut!

bruges-belgium.jpg

12042_cropped_840_530_90_505ac4293f0d5_lac-de-la-haute-sure.jpg

6134053134_bcf1fe7cb7_z.jpg

bohosteak.jpg

Bruges especially is right up there as one of the most picturesque places I have been, absolutely loved the beer wall!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Gran Canaria. Didn't get up to the hills, which I hear are beautiful. Stayed on the coast as my chavvy wrong'un of a girlfriend at the time liked sunbathing. Utter, utter ******** of a place. Pickpockets everywhere, greasy spanish muscleboys strutting about everywhere, black sand! Yes, Black sand!? And full of 18-30 parties. Hell.

My girlfriend cheated on me there so I got shitfaced, drove a beach buggy off a jetty and got everyone in the hotel bar to sign a postcard saying "Your daughter is a slag", about 30 signatures which got sent to her parents. I forgot about that but later when I was over at her parents it arrived while I was having a cup of tea with her Mum about a fortnight after we got back. The Gran Canaria nightmare kept on going.

Oh and I wouldn't bother going back to Amsterdam either. Got mugged, got in a fight, had a really bad mushroom trip, spent all my money in two days.

Of course, I am willing to concede that the problem is maybe me, not the places I go to.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Interesting that both Qatar and Russia are getting a few mentions. Can't think many people are looking forward to the World Cup in those countries.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Gran Canaria. Didn't get up to the hills, which I hear are beautiful. Stayed on the coast as my chavvy wrong'un of a girlfriend at the time liked sunbathing. Utter, utter ******** of a place. Pickpockets everywhere, greasy spanish muscleboys strutting about everywhere, black sand! Yes, Black sand!? And full of 18-30 parties. Hell.

My girlfriend cheated on me there so I got shitfaced, drove a beach buggy off a jetty and got everyone in the hotel bar to sign a postcard saying "Your daughter is a slag", about 30 signatures which got sent to her parents. I forgot about that but later when I was over at her parents it arrived while I was having a cup of tea with her Mum about a fortnight after we got back. The Gran Canaria nightmare kept on going.

Oh and I wouldn't bother going back to Amsterdam either. Got mugged, got in a fight, had a really bad mushroom trip, spent all my money in two days.

Of course, I am willing to concede that the problem is maybe me, not the places I go to.

Enjoyed reading that :lolol:

Never been anywhere I've particularly detested, although am bored to death of Amsterdam now and won't bother again.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
TBF I was on a work placement. Was told it was going to be in Dublin. Turned out to be Park West. Nothing but the Days Inn and the prison for company most nights unless you took the 30 Euro cab ride to the city centre.

It also didn't help that one cabbie, taking us back to the airport, took a short cut through an estate whilst telling us in his thickest accent "I wouldn't walk through here lads, not with you being English."

To balance it I love the centre of Dublin and the Irish. It was the best laugh I had onsite anywhere. Really intelligent guys who say f*** and c*** like they're commas. Another time the company CEO was in a pub in town and literally dragged us in off the streets.

I worked over Park West's solitary pub (which I believe has since closed so you may never have had to suffer it) for about 9 months. That hotel really does have fantastic views of the main railway line, fields of rubble and piebald ponies picking over them and the prisons doesn't it.

Actually, I'm sure Majorca is beautiful. But never go to Magaluf.

Never.

And I didn't even get laid once out there.

I've been to Majorca and it is in fact a very nice island, but as we waited at the airport for the transfer shuttle I watched plane load after plane load of hen/stag parties boarding theirs to magaluf, the only thing that went through my mind was "Thank christ we are NOWHERE neat there"

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I've been to lots of places and there are a few I wouldn't go back to but only two of them because I detested the place (the others because they are dull or because I've seen everything worth seeing).

1. Turkey - Hated every second I spend in the sh*t hole of a country.

2. Cyprus - Everything wrong with a holiday destination all rolled up into one sh*tty little island.

3-5. Not sure I'd go back to Iceland (seen it all), Malaysia (too commercial/touristy), Canaries (seem to be in the throws of a slow painful death).

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
... America - sorry controversial, love New York, but hated Florida, full of Brits trying to be American during their holidays. Another place where they just want your money and are so false. with that 'is a pleasure to serve you' sorry you just want my money.

God I sound miserable ...

On a positive, love France, Sweden, Greece, Thailand

I'm sorry, but you can't say you detest America based on your opinion of Florida. It would be like saying you hated England because you didn't like Thorpe Park.

America is an amazing place with something for everyone. try visiting the western states: California, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Arizona, Colorado ... I bel;ieve you'd have a very different opinion of the country.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I know it's not a country but Dubai. I was lucky I spent most of my time helping out in an Animal breeding centre in the middle if the desert which was an experience of a lifetime but the city?urgh. Most tasteless, gaudy, overblown, overpriced, overhyped sweaty nut sack of a place. And it stinks in the midday. Grim.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I know it's not a country but Dubai. I was lucky I spent most of my time helping out in an Animal breeding centre in the middle if the desert which was an experience of a lifetime but the city?urgh. Most tasteless, gaudy, overblown, overpriced, overhyped sweaty nut sack of a place. And it stinks worse than a week of yellow shit storms.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here