Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Five countries you detested visiting and would never return to.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I worked over Park West's solitary pub (which I believe has since closed so you may never have had to suffer it) for about 9 months. That hotel really does have fantastic views of the main railway line, fields of rubble and piebald ponies picking over them and the prisons doesn't it.

Yes. Yes it does. My sympathies!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Only 3 come to mind

Dubai - Disneyland in the desert
Israel
Gibraltar

Last edited:

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I guess it depend what part of a country you've been to.

Can't understand people not liking Turkey. I went to Kas last year and really enjoyed. Lovely scenery and an immense sense of history. Plus the food was always fresh.

Can't beat an Efes lager either :)

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Egypt. The only country I've been to that I genuinely detested. A combination of disgusting aggressive filthy people, the worst food of my life and being laid up for a week with some kind of virus in 100 degree heat means few fond memories there.
Austria. Very dull.
Yugoslavia. Before the iron curtain came down felt very oppressive.
Brasil. Always looking over your shoulder. The gulf between rich and poor was hard to witness being a prosperous country.
USA. Far too many Americans.

That said I would re visit 2 to 5 quite happily

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Probably only one and that was Russia, many people out to rip you off and my god are they miserable! Moscow had loads to see and do but it would take a World Cup to tempt me back! The experience was probably not helped after being attacked in red square by Russian Ultras before the football.

All in all a trip of highs and lows but we left with no desire to head back, and that is probably the one and only time for me that I have come away from a country feeling like that!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Jamaica. Like Brixton with heat

Scruffy, Smelly, crime ruined, unsafe, violent dump

And I traveled around the island, so know it well

All about opinions, my Sister lived there for 2 1/2 years (went out there to teach with her hubby) and when I visited them had a brilliant time. They lived in a small place called Brownstown, really really friendly people (they hill where the Jamaican bobsleigh team trained was just down the road!). Kingston on the other hand was a bit dodgy! Had one of my best ever birthdays there, swimming in a sea with a massive swell, followed by a meal of jerk pork from a local joint, with the pig cooked in an open fire, boy was it spicy! On the downside my sister booked up a hotel for a couple of mates and they got mugged in Montego Bay!

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
I love travelling but can't think of any country I've detested. I've no wish to return to China - mainly because it's too regulated. I don't have a great urge to go back to the States - probably my fault as any country that makes you feel so unwelcome at immigration does not make me feel comfortable.

But there is no country I wouldn't go back to

mattricketts

Jul 14, 2010
im not allowed back in the states. I tried to get a resident and work visa twice and was refused. now they wont even give me a esta holiday visa without going through all the crap at the embassy, which is expensive to do.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Seen a couple of mentions of Israel. Actually, if you want to get some understanding of the madness that is the middle east then visiting Jerusalem can start to give you some perspective. Muslim, Christian and Jewish faith hotspots within touching distance of each other. All praying (ultimately) to the same god but equally willing to biblically exterminate each other.

Sea of Galilee, Masada, Dead Sea, Nazareth (that really does have mud huts like the ones you were forced to draw in RE in the 70s) are worth seeing. And if you get a kick out of seeing drop dead gorgeous olive-skinned women in combats holding a gun, then Israel will ring your bell. Mind you, I was there in 1981 and very, very drunk on Araq.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
Nothing but very fond memories of Belgium for me and I still have friends there to this day. I couldn't say I detest any of the countries I've visited. Whilst they all have their pros and cons it all becomes part of the experience, good or bad. I hated Malaysia when I was there initially but I quickly realised it was my shortcomings as a human being which resulted in me failing to accept and appreciate a different culture and a completely different way of life.

What, out of interest, did you hate in Malaysia?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here