Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

First trip Home, a little advice.

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
Thanks for all the replies, I'll have a look through all the suggestions on New years days with the girlfriend and pick one then.
So far we've only really considered places in the centre of Brighton and they're generally around £140 for 2 nights so I'll definitely consider a bit further out of town to get parking.
We can then venture into town in the evening is we fancy it.
In terms of the ale discussion. I'm not a big drinker but from all I read on here it wouldn't be a proper trip to the Amex without a pint of Harveys! :)

Looking forward to it even more now, once again thanks for the advice guys :)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thanks for all the replies, I'll have a look through all the suggestions on New years days with the girlfriend and pick one then.
So far we've only really considered places in the centre of Brighton and they're generally around £140 for 2 nights so I'll definitely consider a bit further out of town to get parking.
We can then venture into town in the evening is we fancy it.
In terms of the ale discussion. I'm not a big drinker but from all I read on here it wouldn't be a proper trip to the Amex without a pint of Harveys! :)

Looking forward to it even more now, once again thanks for the advice guys :)

It will remind you of the reasons you moved away. !

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
And a good bus & train service to Brighton so near enough for the touristy bit.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Premier Inn Newhaven may be an option, free car park, adjoining bar/restaurant, near the railway station which is 2 stops from the Amex, sometimes 3 if you get the train that stops at Southese , it's approx 15 minutes on the train.

The only downside is nothing happens in Newhaven but plenty of places to eat and DRINK in Lewes (did we mention drinking in Lewes?)
Hope you enjoy your weekend, you will love the stadium.:bhasign:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
My point entirely, but bring some cans :thumbsup:

Vegster has condemned all Harveys products as bad, but I doubt that he has tried them all. We all have different tastes but to deride 20 odd products without tasting them all is like saying BMW's are awful because he once had an unreliable Mini. Personally although I prefer some beers to others, I wouldn't call any beer bad, nor would I put down a whole company constantly whether it be in fun or as a personal vendetta.

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
My youngest son and his missus went down for the midweek fixture against Watford last season and stayed at the Premier Inn in Newhaven. If you book early there are some cheap prices available on a room only basis (Sainsbury's is only a short walk away to buy food) You can use the buses to get to the game by showing the bus driver your match ticket - take a number 12 to Old Steine , walk across the traffic lights and jump on a number 25.

I was just about to suggest this option but train from Newhaven to falmer much quicker and easier than 2 buses

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Hi Guys,
I don't post on here a huge a amount but thought this would be the best place to seek advice.

On 22nd February I will be taking my first trip to the Amex...at last! Living in Lincolnshire its not been financially viable until recently so its been away games only for a few years but now I'm finally going to go :)

I'll be coming down on the Friday afternoon with my girlfriend and looking at staying in a B&B/Hotel for 2 nights with the game on the Saturday and leaving Sunday afternoon.

So the advice I would like is....

1.) Any suggestions on where to stay?
2.) On the Saturday would I be best driving to a park and ride or getting the train from Brighton Station to the game?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Whenever I have been over, I have used the bus (25) from the Steine to the Uni and from the A27 back to town. Free with a match ticket:)

Try Premier Inn -online they have some very good deals There is one in North Street!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I was just about to suggest this option but train from Newhaven to falmer much quicker and easier than 2 buses

Correct, for the last home match I caught the 14.35 train from Newhaven and was still in my seat for kick off.

When the trains were cancelled due to flooding I used the Lewes Rd park & ride.

Catching 2 buses would take ages, this would be a last resort for me.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Vegster has condemned all Harveys products as bad, but I doubt that he has tried them all. We all have different tastes but to deride 20 odd products without tasting them all is like saying BMW's are awful because he once had an unreliable Mini. Personally although I prefer some beers to others, I wouldn't call any beer bad, nor would I put down a whole company constantly whether it be in fun or as a personal vendetta.

Good advice Doug, I always get a selection pack of Harvey's bottled beers at Christmas, I like them all tbh.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
How come threads like this always turn into a real ale **** fest, even when that wasn't on the OPs criteria?

Frankly I'm surprised the Schumaker thread hasn't descended into "hey have they taken him to the hospital in Grenoble? It's all fizzy lager in the visitors bar there. They would have been far better off leaving him at the village hospital in Moutiers. They serve a decent pint of Olde Yeti Breath in there, plus a few guest ales too, available on draught or drip."

I'd go for a St. Sylvestre, 3 Monts if in that area myself although it is 8.5 abv so you take it easy if you are going on the piste BN.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Would people please stop putting an " ' " in Harveys! It only has one on the new pump clips, which was apparently a mistake.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

I'm not a fan of Harvey's tbh Doug but I haven't tried all their beers by any means being stuck over here in the outback of West Sussex. Now bearing in mind I like the Paler and golden beers like Dark Stars APA and the new hoppy Burning Sky's or Thornbridge offerings, what Harvey's beer would you recommend for me to try in that style when I am in Lewes soon ?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'm not a fan of Harvey's tbh Doug but I haven't tried all their beers by any means being stuck over here in the outback of West Sussex. Now bearing in mind I like the Paler and golden beers like Dark Stars APA and the new hoppy Burning Sky's or Thornbridge offerings, what Harvey's beer would you recommend for me to try in that style when I am in Lewes soon ?

Harveys make light seasonal ales like Copperwheat, Southdown Harvest and Olympia. Olympia is a nice Golden Ale but these aren't available at this time of year. For bottled beers I'd go for Old Ale or Blue Label which are light ales. You could try Elizabethan Ale which more like a Barley Wine and is 7.5% proof. As for draught beers I think you'd prefer the Sussex Wild Hop which is a blond beer and is made from Sussex hops. My favourite at this time of year is their Draught "Old". I hope that helps.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I think it would be better to go to Lewes and catch the train down from there, its a lot quieter than going on the Brighton-Falmer cattle trucks. Only downside is that good beer is hard to find in Lewes.

Are you bewildered?

Loads of choice, even if you're in the peculiar anti-Harveys brigade.

(Also, it's cattle trucks Lewes-Falmer as well if you time it wrong)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Harveys make light seasonal ales like Copperwheat, Southdown Harvest and Olympia. Olympia is a nice Golden Ale but these aren't available at this time of year. For bottled beers I'd go for Old Ale or Blue Label which are light ales. You could try Elizabethan Ale which more like a Barley Wine and is 7.5% proof. As for draught beers I think you'd prefer the Sussex Wild Hop which is a blond beer and is made from Sussex hops. My favourite at this time of year is their Draught "Old". I hope that helps.

Have had Copperwheat and Olympia in The Nelson and thought them ordinary to say the least. The Old is insipid for that style of beer so I'll try the Harvest then. Maybe to be honest I just like the newer style of brews that use the lemony and citrusy hops. To many years of bland mid range brown beers like Spitfire, London Pride and the like have done for me. Vegster made a valid point the other day to me saying that all Harvey's beers have a distinct taste , it's true but then so do Dark Star but I like the bite to their beers. So ....
It's New Years Eve....... Cheers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thornbridge. Now that's a brewery I really miss. I started off my Xmas eve with their most excellent late hopped Pilsner called Bayern and took in a Chiron as well. Kipling and Jaipur are favourites and St Petersburg is on my "need to try" list.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have had Copperwheat and Olympia in The Nelson and thought them ordinary to say the least. The Old is insipid for that style of beer so I'll try the Harvest then. Maybe to be honest I just like the newer style of brews that use the lemony and citrusy hops. To many years of bland mid range brown beers like Spitfire, London Pride and the like have done for me. Vegster made a valid point the other day to me saying that all Harvey's beers have a distinct taste , it's true but then so do Dark Star but I like the bite to their beers. So ....
It's New Years Eve....... Cheers.

I agree with this. I find Harvey's a bit dull; there is a lot of exciting stuff going on in the UK with hops, and to a lesser extent yeast, and I like this variation and experimentation but it's same old same old with Harvey's. Their beer just doesn't excite me. Dark Star on the other hand.......

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Thornbridge. Now that's a brewery I really miss. I started off my Xmas eve with their most excellent late hopped Pilsner called Bayern and took in a Chiron as well. Kipling and Jaipur are favourites and St Petersburg is on my "need to try" list.

Just opening a Kipling as I type HT. Better not go on tho.......... us beer bores have our own thread don't we. Happy new year to you HT :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here