Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] First Premier League manager to be sacked ?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I agree WMB . . .it'll be trigger happy panic monkey boards not Manager quality that dictates firings . . . Dyche and Pottinker are safe for the forseable.

Parker, Billic, Moyes probably top contenders. WIlder/Woy outsiders

Last edited:

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

v
I'd have thought it was the exact opposite. The fact he's only contracted till next summer makes it a VERY cheap lay-off if things are going seriously tits-up towards December. If they find themselves in the bottom 3 come the arse-end of November / beginning of December (not entirely unlikely), whilst posting the kind of dismal shite performances they put out against us last week, then I think Roys bathchair could well be rolled into the conservatory before too long.

That opening day Man U result is the very definition of plastering over the cracks. They've been garbage for months.

Palace beat Southampton on the opening day.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Who is the trigger happiest chairman, Moyes could be in trouble

Moyes looks pretty safe to me - he wasn't sacked last season when they skated very close to the drop. They look comfortble mid-table this time round.

The most trigger-happy chairman is surely Abramovitch. He sacked a manager after he'd won the CL so no-one's safe there. So, if I had money on it, my bet would be Fat Frank (with Parker as second choice)
Dyche and Wilder have loads of credit in the bank, Bilic has some for getting WBA up and Bruce has probably done just enough.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Parker. He's already had a public disagreement with his boss. I wouldn't fancy the Fulham job much, answering to a director of football who's only qualification for the role is the fact his Dad owns the club.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Has there ever been a Premier League season when no one has been sacked before Christmas? - This could be the season.

Unless it's Parker I can't see any other possibilities.
Maybe Hodgson if Palace go on a terrible winless run and are also lacking creativity, but I would expect them the stick with Roy due to past performance.

Gun shot

Ready to be fired
Oct 3, 2020
In a holster
Lampard could be a good call if he can't turn all these draws into wins having spent an absolute fortune, but the fact Chelsea fans and Roman Abramovich love and believe in him suggests he'd have to put them into the bottom three and Champions League elimination in the group stage before he's booted out.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Oddly, the ones most who ought to be most at risk have credit in the bank and/or an affinity with the club that buys them time in the eyes of supporters: Lampard, Parker (just got promoted), Wilder (outstanding for 3 or 4 seasons and a club man), Dyche, Hodgson (club man) etc

So I think we'll have to wait longer than usual. Wait until it all goes wrong in North or East London - it won't take much to go wrong for Mourinho or Moyes to get the bullet. Nor Steve Bruce for that matter. He ought to fall into the "club man" category but doesn't because he also managed Sunderland and wasn't a popular choice to start with.
The thing with Mourinho is that although most people think he's yesterday's man. the fact remains he has done it all at the highest level for 2 decades. The suspicion might always be that he could do it again with a bit of time, and that might save him even if results go badly.

On balance, I'll go for Moyes or Bruce but maybe in a month or so assuming it all turns to shit.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Would think that Burnley will stick with Dyche but if Fulham beat Palace on Saturday what price Hodgson staying charge ? After Fulham Palace are again away at Molineux. Someone will get fired,but who ? :bigwave:

None of the above in my opinion. Sean Dyche IS Burnley and without him they will probably go down, his style of football may be aggresive, dour and ultra defensive, but he is playing to their strengths.

I think that Fulham have made two astute loan signings in Loftus Cheek and particularly Lookman, and l expect them to start winning a few games soon, so Scotty Parker should survive for now.

That just leaves Woy, who is a wily old campaigner, and someone that l find impossible to dislike. Palarse will probably finish above us in the table again this season.

My tips for the first to go? either Slaven Bilic at the other Albion, out of their depth in this division l think, and this season's Norwich, or maybe Solskjaer at Man U who are woefully under performing.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If results don’t start turning around what our own GP. I know Bloom has backed him with a possibly premature long contract, ultimately TB knows relegation will be a financial disaster. Four wins out of 23 league games isn’t that great and if it continues.....

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If results don’t start turning around what our own GP. I know Bloom has backed him with a possibly premature long contract, ultimately TB knows relegation will be a financial disaster. Four wins out of 23 league games isn’t that great and if it continues.....

Four wins out of 23 is worse than 'not great', it's disasterous! That said, this is a long term project,and even with relegation, l expect TB to back him.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

I would stick with Potter even if we go down. And I bet the club feel the same way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here