[Music] First gig, Worst Gig and Can't be topped gig?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
First gig - Michael Schenker at the Apollo in Manchester. Brilliant, just for the memory.
Worst - Tears for Fears. Totally boring.
Best - Terence Trent D'Arby at the Hacienda. Great venue and fantastic performer.

Honorary mention - Hacienda Classical at the Castlefield Bowl a couple of years ago. Peter Hook guested. A real reboot of my student years....

Terence Trent-Darby was the first person I ever saw with a mobile phone.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
First - Psycho Normal and his Stiff Victims - Shoreham Youth Workshop 1977
First named band - Led Zeppelin, Knebworth 1979

Worst - Richie Blackmores Rainbow - Bingley Hall, Stafford 1980. I only went to make sure some mates. who had hired a coach from Mid Wales, didn't lose any money. Even if they'd have been brilliant (which they weren't), the venue alone, which is/was a corrugated iron structure with a concrete floor and part of the West Mids Showground ensured a crap gig. Honourable mentions to Genesis with Phil Collins 1981(free ticket) and the Spice Girls, Cardiff Big Weekend, just before they became famous, can't/refuse to remember the year. This was a free gig and I was passing by on my way home, stayed for one song, thought not only are you sh*t but your obviously miming and left.

Best - so many to choose from but:-

Geno Washington - Llanidloes Community Centre 1981, Blaggers ITA - TJ's Newport 1992 and Cardiacs - Phoenix Festival 1993 all have to be up there.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Absolutely! When we met them afterwards he invited us along to the aftershow party, and he and Fast had a really long chat with us. Great guys. Even named our first born after Huey, & he now loves their music too, 20yrs later :)
Always heard good stories about him. Also absolutely love his radio 6 show. His musical knowledge is vast, varied and generally of excellent taste.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Just remembered looking through this thread, that my first real live bands performing was when my mother took me and my sister to see the filming of the Basil Brush show live in 1975 ( I think) at Pebble Mill, the acts on that night were Lou Rawls and the Dead End Kids ( have I the right to hold you).
So technically that was my first gig, but I didn’t really have a choice in that, so I’ll stick with Joy Division. :)

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Sad Cafe 1979, The Odeon, U2 1995, Warsaw, Simple Minds Waterfront Tour 1984, Odeon versus Madstock 1993

getz

Jan 15, 2010
First gig was at the 100 club London 1960 to see John Dankworth orchestra. Sat at near the bandstand and felt I was part of the band.

Worst two gigs. Ornette Coleman at the Dome 1967.Walked out halfway through went straight to the Regent. Met my future wife that night so not all bad.
Jimmy Smith at the old Concorde. Standing at the back with people not at all interested. Could not hear Jimmy. So I went home.

Best gigs all at the Dome. Bonnie Raitt, Woody Herman and Count Basie.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
First - Mud.
Worse - Lou Reed just after Andy Warhol died he announced he was not going to do any of his back catalogue and if people didn’t like it they could do one. So we did.
Best, last year New Order outdoors in Bristol with my daughter. They also covered Joy Division songs. Heaven.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Pink Floyd doing the Wall at Earls Court 1981. First time I had seen a concert that was so theatrical.

Just before I left school I had a part time job a t-shirt printers in Brighton, this company did the t-shirts for Pink Floyd at Earls Court.
There was six different designs, I remember someone I worked with buying one of each at the time.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
First was probably Mud!! At the Dome in 74 I think
Worst probably taking my daughter and others to see Hearsay!! NEC Birmingham 2001/2 ish -
Best would be The Boss(MK Bowl around 93 ish I think and Ricoh, Coventry about 4/5 years ago). He was awesome!

Dexy’s Midnight Runners/Elvis Costello/UB40 all in West Mids circa 1980 very good memories too

I went to see him at the Ricoh, and although I loved it and what a performer, the only thing that irked me a little with Bruce is the length of his songs.
After 10 mins you think a song is coming to an end then it’s “ 1,2,3,4” and it kicks in again for another 5 mins. :annoyed:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
First (that I can recall) - Supertramp at the Dome early 1975 supported by Gallaghar & Lyle and Chris De Burgh
Worst - Springsteen at the Emirates, nothing wrong with Springsteen just why I dislike stadium gigs, during the less well known songs, you get the bucket list brigade talking and talking over the music :rant:
Best - Loads at the Top Rank late 70s/early 80s will go with The Clash/Elvis Costello/U2 and recently - David Byrne Hammersmith and Larkin Poe Islington

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I saw him twice. Once at an ironic student gig in the mid 80s with the Glitter Band. Second time was at the Exhibition Centre in Glasgow in the early 90s when I was working up there.

Bought a t shirt with "Gary Glitter's Gangshow" on it. Hasn't been out of the drawer for a while.....

Same as my lost prophets t shirt 😁

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Just before I left school I had a part time job a t-shirt printers in Brighton, this company did the t-shirts for Pink Floyd at Earls Court.
There was six different designs, I remember someone I worked with buying one of each at the time.

Incredible show, they built a wall across the full width of the Earls Court stage during the concert,about 40 foot high.
Had the usual crashing planes, giant inflatables,Dave Gilmour playing the guitar solo from Comfortably Numb on top of the wall, and then , in the finale, they pull it down.
I don't know if any other hand had tried something that ambitious in staging a show up to then, but I had never seen anything like it, up to that point.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Love stuff like that.

Me and the Mrs went to see St Etienne at the Leadmill a while back (when they played the whole of Foxbase Alpha).

Saw loads of old faces and the smoking/vaping area outside was full of ex ravers showing each other pictures of their kids (instead of sorting out the pills and speed).

That was also a great gig. Seen them a couple of times since and I'm still in love with Sarah.....er Sarah's voice I mean, ahem.

Love St Etienne & SC’s sweet vocals.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
First. The Damned. But actually after their hey day, we’re taking mid 1980s.

Worst. My partner has appalling musical taste, and she’s dragged me to some total shockers, but if it’s just me, then probably Massive Attack. Mainly because the fvckers didn’t come on till well past midnight, by which time everyone had stood waiting for hours, all tubes home etc had long since finished and they’d basically lost the audience’s goodwill before they even started. They then proceeded to put in a half-arsed show, just to make it truly disappointing.

Best. Far too many to think of! Possibly the Pixies/Throwing Muses double-header, which I saw several times, and also the next Throwing Muses UK tour when I basically went to pretty much every show around the entire country. Including the time I ended up squashed in the front row next to Miki Berenyi from Lush, which was, um, extra memorable. But I think I’ll actually go for a small ‘word of mouth’ acoustic show in a tiny venue by Grant McLennan and Robert Forster. This was during the in-between (ha, see what I did there) period after The Go-Betweens had split up, but before they actually later reformed. At the time, it seemed like an incredible one-off chance to see them play, and being such an intimate venue made it doubly special. With Grant’s sad early passing, it’s become even more a never-to-be-repeated memory to treasure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
First was Bananarama at Wembley Arena
Worst was Blur at Brighton Arena (although it did mean I missed us losing at home to Rochdale in the pissing rain)
Best was a tie between Blur on Cleethorpes Pier or Foo Fighters at Brixton Academy

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
First. The Damned. But actually after their hey day, we’re taking mid 1980s.

Worst. My partner has appalling musical taste, and she’s dragged me to some total shockers, but if it’s just me, then probably Massive Attack. Mainly because the fvckers didn’t come on till well past midnight, by which time everyone had stood waiting for hours, all tubes home etc had long since finished and they’d basically lost the audience’s goodwill before they even started. They then proceeded to put in a half-arsed show, just to make it truly disappointing.

Best. Far too many to think of! Possibly the Pixies/Throwing Muses double-header, which I saw several times, and also the next Throwing Muses UK tour when I basically went to pretty much every show around the entire country. Including the time I ended up squashed in the front row next to Miki Berenyi from Lush, which was, um, extra memorable. But I think I’ll actually go for a small ‘word of mouth’ acoustic show in a tiny venue by Grant McLennan and Robert Forster. This was during the in-between (ha, see what I did there) period after The Go-Betweens had split up, but before they actually later reformed. At the time, it seemed like an incredible one-off chance to see them play, and being such an intimate venue made it doubly special. With Grant’s sad early passing, it’s become even more a never-to-be-repeated memory to treasure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pixies on that tour is certainly up there as one of my favs.. Saw them at the Town and Country Club and they came on before Throwing Muses and blew them off stage. Awesome live in those days. Saw them headline at the Bierkeller in Bristol probably a year later with My Bloody Valentine as support.
Also saw the Damned do a warm up show at the tiny Moles Club in Bath in the late 80s which was brilliant too but prob due to the venue prob only holding 100 people. They played 2 sets I think and it was hot and very sweaty.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
First Gig: King Crimson at the Dome in '71. Ears didn't stop ringing for a couple of days after 21st Century Schizoid Man.
Worst Gig: Wishbone Ash at the Dome sticks in the mind on the Argus tour. Horrible vocals and twin guitars that created a screeching racket. A really cold sound.
Best gig: There isn't one, sorry. If I cut it to the bare bones: Brad Paisley at the 02 maybe 2012, Bruce Springsteen on The River tour at The Centre in 1974, Leonard Cohen at The Dome, Queen at The Dome just prior to the release of The Game in 1979 and they premiered their next single, Save Me. So many were nearly as good, it makes me realise how lucky I have been.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports