Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

First FA Cup Final You Watched?

ChilternGull

Nov 3, 2011
Village near Oxford
1958 Bolton Wanderers v Manchester United. Still remember Nat Lofthouse sending Harry Gregg plus ball into back of net for a goal. If Billy Paynter did that on Sunday he would be sent off!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
1958 Bolton Wanderers v Manchester United. Still remember Nat Lofthouse sending Harry Gregg plus ball into back of net for a goal. If Billy Paynter did that on Sunday he would be sent off!

Have you seen the tv programme comparing this match to the FA Cup Final 50 years later: 'A Game of Two Eras'?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
1987, Coventry 3 Spurs 2.

Back in the days when Cup Finals were real occasions, and featured hours of build up on BBC and ITV, with cameras in the hotels and those cringing pieces they make the whole team do to camera ("Brian Kilcline. 37. Defender". "Carlton Fairweather. 26. Centre midfield"). Followed by rambling from Saint & Greavsie and- god help us- Stan Boardman in his comedy Luftwaffe outfit and always-hilarious "Jeeeeeeeeeeeeermans" routine.

At least the matches used to be good though. Can't remember the last decent Cup Final worth watching :shrug:

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Thinking about it makes me realise how much you DEVELOP your interests when you are growing up

I dont REMEMBER the 94 final at all. I was 7. I don't think I even cared about USA '94
I remember the 95 final (everton beat United) as my first final
By 96 final (United beat Liverpool - "Cantonaaaaaaa") I was a football FANATIC

In less than 2 years I had gone from not CARING to being OBSESSED

Thats pretty much the same for me aswell, but slightly older. I do recall watching the 1994 final but couldn't say anything that happened in that match, but by the time the '96 final came around I can remeber it vividly. Basically that and euro'96 got me hooked on football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here