Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

First FA Cup Final You Watched?

generation x

its in the blood
Nov 24, 2007
1973 Sunderland v Leeds.

Can still hear David Coleman's commentary in my head..

"Porterfield, one-nil!"

The cup final was so huge in the 70's, one of the only live games you saw on the television, preceeded by It's a Cup Final Knockout and Cup Final Question of Sport.

Always a fantastic day.

Me too. Remember that fantastic save by Montgomery & the final whistle with the Sunderland manager (was it Stokoe) in his hat running around to grab all his players. I think it was that game that made me realise the passion that runs through football & really makes it what it is. The tv pre-match entertainment was fantastic & ran from kids tv right through to kick off. I vaguely remember a match between opposing supporters being shown as well, or did I imagine that?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
1963, Man U v Leicester. We'd just moved house and we stopped unpacking to watch it. My Dad said I watched the 1962 final with him as well, but I don't remember. He used to watch Grandstand every Saturday, from start to finish, and I used to watch a lot of it with him, so it probably went in one ear and out the other.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
1980 West Ham vs Arsenal

pretty dull game, but it's the first football match I remember properly watching.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
100 000 attendance it says?!

yep,the old wembley with terracing too,used to hold 100,000

mind you,i think when england played scotland there,there was even more in the ground,alot of scots used to get in for nothing,anyone remember the human ladder?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Thinking about it makes me realise how much you DEVELOP your interests when you are growing up

I dont REMEMBER the 94 final at all. I was 7. I don't think I even cared about USA '94
I remember the 95 final (everton beat United) as my first final
By 96 final (United beat Liverpool - "Cantonaaaaaaa") I was a football FANATIC

In less than 2 years I had gone from not CARING to being OBSESSED

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
1963-64 FA Cup was the first I remember clearly.

West Ham had lots of players with a surname beginning with B.

I had been watching the Albion for two seasons and this was the first season they had not been relegated:

Brighton and Hove Albion 1963-1964

The first one actually was almost certainly 1962 FA Cup Final when the great Bobby Smith scored. The final was not very exciting and immediately forgettable.

And Albion's proud FA Cup record at the time I had been watching them (to go with their dire league record). Alas, the first five seasons they were knocked out at the first attempt, followed by a 10-1 win against Wisbech and then knocked out by non-leaguers Bedford Town (habitual giant-killers at the time).

So when we drew Aldershot away in the 3rd Round that was something special in 1966. The games was still the worst I have ever seen 0-0 and the pitch was like the Adur at low tide. In contrast the reply with 29,000+ people at the Goldstone was one of the very best.

Last edited:

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
May have watched one before but the one I remember watching was 1995 Everton Vs Man Utd, especially as it came not long after Man Utd failed to beat West Ham and gave Blackburn the title. Can remember the goal vividly as well.

The first match I remember watching was England Vs San Marino where they scored in under 10 seconds and we went on to win 7-1. It was my first of many dissapointments as an England fan as I believe we needed to win by 10 in the end to qualify.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
1964 West Ham v Preston featuring the great Alex Dawson and Nobby Lawton ex Albion for Preston
Clearer TV memories of 1966 Everton v Sheffield Wednesday great game and many Everton players wearing very flash ' at the time ' Puma boots
1975 West Ham v Fulham has great memories as positioned my young lady so that I could watch the TV action whilst we were very very naughty hehehe , happy days !!!

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
1973 Sunderland beating leeds 1-0 Ian portafield scoring. Will never forget the little dance Bob stokoe did on the pitch and his Trilby hat!. Remember Cup finals when I was a kid both BBC and ITV had coverage from early in the morning and went on all day, interviews with players at their hotels, coverage of their coach ride to Wembley ( or Helicopter in '83 :bhasign:). It was a fantastic ALL DAY event. shame it's not like that anymore

Last edited:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
The first I can remember was the 1953 Mathews final as it was called.
Bolton winning 3-1 and Stan Mathews at 38 ripped Bolton apart and helped Blackpool to come back and win 4-3

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
1971 arsenal v. liverpool

in colour too,most vivid memory, charlie george lying on his back after crashing in the winner

it used to be the biggest club game in the world back then,big shame an average champions league game is seen as far more important these days

checked it out on wiki and liverpool had no fewer than 9 english players in their team!

1971 FA Cup Final - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, me too, Heighway was my hero for Liverpool although I had started to go to the Goldstone earlier that year.
And I remembered the 2 non-English Liverpool players without looking it up - Heighway and Toshack.

My birthday is 5th May and I normally had a 'cup final party' through the early 70s. My mates would turn up in their footie kits, programmes bought in by post, ice lollies at HT then down the park to recreate the match followed by slap up tea. Lashings of ginger beer, jumpers for goalposts etc.

Now I can't recall most games since 2000.

PG

kip

Aug 2, 2011
1983, started my interest in the Albion. I was 10 at the time and was a Chelsea supporter before this:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here