Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Films from the past that have passed by and forgotten but worth a look ?

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
The Sure Thing (1985) - John Cusack faces a trip across the States at the end of a college term, with a stuck up female student who can’t stand him. Used to love that movie.

3 lovely Scottish movies from the 80’s, all directed by Bill Forsyth:

Gregory’s Girl - it wasn’t the main story line, it was sweet and funny bits along the way of juveniles in a Scottish new town.
Local Hero
Comfort & Joy - with the brilliant Bill Paterson

Restless Natives (1985) is another Scottish film I liked, soundtrack by Big Country.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
One of my favourite forgotten films is Flashback (1990), Dennis Hopper messes with FBI agent Kiefer Sutherlands' head, really enjoyable.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
An unexpected delight over Christmas was finding all the family had gone out for a few hours and left me on my own. Turned on Tele and saw the "The Big Country" was about to start. Never seen it before but what a great Western with Gregory Peck, Burl Ives, Charlton Heston and Jean Simmons. The photography was outstanding and the music, who can forget..

How had you not seen this in the past 60 years, or was it a "I've never seen this before" that I use and then promptly know all the dialogue. This no longer works for the Searchers as even my wife now knows the dialogue.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
An unexpected delight over Christmas was finding all the family had gone out for a few hours and left me on my own. Turned on Tele and saw the "The Big Country" was about to start. Never seen it before but what a great Western with Gregory Peck, Burl Ives, Charlton Heston and Jean Simmons. The photography was outstanding and the music, who can forget..

Exactly the same for me. Cracking film.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we are moving on to Westerns - 3.10 to Yuma, both versions

I bloody love old school Westerns but they seem very out of vogue now :down:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
My brother went to a talk with John Landis who directed Trading Places the other year. One of the stories he told was that he’d always wanted Don Ameche for the role of one of the Duke brothers, but when they went to cast the film, all the casting team thought Don Ameche was dead. Apparently they started looking elsewhere for the role, but then one of the crew coincidentally bumped into Don in the supermarket. At the time Don Ameche’s career had slowed right down, with Don saying that people had just stopped offering him work. Trading Places reignited his career and offers of work came flooding back in, and just a couple of years later he went on to get an Oscar for Cocoon.
The other nice thing about Don Ameche in that film, is that apparently he really didn’t like swearing, and when they had to film the parts of the movie where he swore, he went round to everyone on the set and apologised to them in advance.

Talking of forgotten gems, the best "late period" Don Ameche film by far is David Mamet's wonderful Things Change.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
If we are moving on to Westerns - 3.10 to Yuma, both versions

I bloody love old school Westerns but they seem very out of vogue now :down:

Nah there not, they are cool

Damsel, The Kid, Hostiles, Never grow old, Sisters Brothers...

All excellent films....

Nothing better than the wife and daughter go out for the day, meander downstairs in undercrackers and dressing gown, make a pot of Joe, and kick back on the sofa watching back to back westerns.....

A little bit of heaven right there...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Slight correction for you. Also I don't think any of Hitchcock's ouevre has quite fallen into the category of "forgotten" yet, well certainly not those you mentioned, apart from you forgetting the correct title of one of them of course.

6b85347c9d6c473ec32899fe8fc3704b.jpg

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
"Harold and Maude", Hal Ashby's 1971 black comedy starring Bud Court and Ruth Gordon with a soundtrack by Cat Stevens. I saw it once on TV about 40 years ago. I'm not aware of it being shown again since, so I think that qualifies as "forgotten".

Also "Little Big Man" from 1970 starring Dustin Hoffman.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Castle.
Same team who made The Dish.
Very funny.
Very overlooked.

“that is going straight to the pool room”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here