Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Films from the past that have passed by and forgotten but worth a look ?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Oh you’ll love my recommendation I’m sure, having just read yours after mine...! In a Big Country... ;)

I'd agree with this. Restless Natives is the Bill Forsyth classic that Bill Forsyth didn't make.

And a great soundtrack...

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The Vanishing, made in 1988, is a superb movie, and has stayed with me for decades. Absolutely brilliant, shocking and chilling.

I haven't seen the 2019 movie of the same name, and don't know if it is a remake, or just a film sharing the same title.

Great original was Spoorloos, ruined by the awful Hollywood remake in '93 with Jeff Bridges.

A similar case with the brilliant Funny Games (1997) which too was spoiled by the US version in 2008 starring Tim Roth.

One US overlooked great though is a superb early venture of Kevin Costner, the 'coming of age' Fandango.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
The Odd Angry Shot
Gallipoli
Phar Lap
Storm Boy
The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith

The best Australian movie that few people in Europe have ever heard of is The Dish, in my opinion.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Love Gregory’s Girl, I’ve probably watched it more than anything else!

Have you seen “That Sinking Feeling”? Much the same cast as Gregory’s Girl.

On video in the 80’s I adored Gregory’s Girl, watched it loads. A crush on Clare Grogan made it all the sweeter!

I’ve never heard of That Sinking Feeling. Cheers, I’ll buy the bluray.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Are these films forgotten? Most are generally regarded as fondly remembered classics.

Trading Places? A forgotten gem? Really?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Are these films forgotten? Most are generally regarded as fondly remembered classics.

It's only forgotten, in a way, because it was on tv every other week, but they can't put it on any more really, which is a shame. But somewhat understandable:
8QWdu.jpg

I'd forgotten it until my Bro. in law reminded me about the scene with the caged gorilla on the train (don't ask!)

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Trading Places - Funny and with a clever plot

My brother went to a talk with John Landis who directed Trading Places the other year. One of the stories he told was that he’d always wanted Don Ameche for the role of one of the Duke brothers, but when they went to cast the film, all the casting team thought Don Ameche was dead. Apparently they started looking elsewhere for the role, but then one of the crew coincidentally bumped into Don in the supermarket. At the time Don Ameche’s career had slowed right down, with Don saying that people had just stopped offering him work. Trading Places reignited his career and offers of work came flooding back in, and just a couple of years later he went on to get an Oscar for Cocoon.
The other nice thing about Don Ameche in that film, is that apparently he really didn’t like swearing, and when they had to film the parts of the movie where he swore, he went round to everyone on the set and apologised to them in advance.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Cracking film. Watched it again last week (it's on Amazon Prime at the moment)

It is? Great news, thanks for posting that, really like this film :thumbsup:

I'd better add some 'forgotten' films, although I'm never sure what kind of regard they are held in:

After Hours
The Return of Captain Invincible
Silent Running
Phase IV
Dead Ringers (one of the best OSTs ever, also)

Loads of others too probably, I'm not very good at remembering these things on the spot :)

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
An unexpected delight over Christmas was finding all the family had gone out for a few hours and left me on my own. Turned on Tele and saw the "The Big Country" was about to start. Never seen it before but what a great Western with Gregory Peck, Burl Ives, Charlton Heston and Jean Simmons. The photography was outstanding and the music, who can forget..

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Duel - 1971 (Spielberg’s directorial debut?)

Dogma - 1999 : love this film if only for the entrance of God at the end!! If that really is what god looks like then I’m a believer!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here