Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Films from the past that have passed by and forgotten but worth a look ?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Idiocracy (2006) - Private Joe Bauers, the definition of "average American", is selected by the Pentagon to be the guinea pig for a top-secret hibernation program. Forgotten, he awakes five centuries in the future. He discovers a society so incredibly dumbed down that he's easily the most intelligent person alive.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I liked this film too, that's a prediction for the future that is already in evidence.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Southern Comfort from 1981. A bunch of national guardsman take part in a military training exercise in the swamps of Louisiana. They manage to upset the local Cajuns who then to proceed to bump them off one by one. A ' Deliverance ' like feel but set in the eerie swamps and with an excellent atoms atmospheric Ry Cooder soundtrack. Well worth checking out.

Only watched this last week, love the scene at the end in the village (apart from the pigs bit).. :(

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
'No Escape' (also known as 'Escape from Absolom') with Ray Liotta and Lance Henriksen from 1994.

One of my favourite movies, about an island where the scummiest prisoners go, an island that the world doesn't know about. The prisoners are left to fend for themselves and end up having a ruddy good fight.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
August Rush is a gem, highly regarded by people. Everyone I know who has seen it loved it but bizarrely never been shown once on terrestrial tv

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Vantage Point is also very good imo and Nick of Time with Jonny Depp

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I went to see vantage point, it was not well received by the audience I watched it with. Groaning and laughing at the constant resets. The gimmick is a dangerous one to work with - replaying the same thing from multiple angles can work, but if new angles aren't different enough or don't offer you some new insight, people can lose patience, and that's what the audience I saw it with felt.

I do like Nick of Time, though. It was the first film I saw that was explicitly trying to be 'real time' years before 24 became a thing.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
North face (2008)

Based on a true story, North Face is a survival drama film about a competition to climb the most dangerous rock face in the Alps. Set in 1936, as Nazi propaganda urges the nation's Alpinists to conquer the unclimbed north face of the Swiss massif - the Eiger - two reluctant German climbers begin their daring ascent.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844457/

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Hunter.jpg

Small pic I know but great film 'The Night of The Hunter' Anyone else like this film?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m watching on Film4 - Heat (1995).

Unless my memory fails me, I’ve not heard of it before! About a group of bank robbers and a police detective on their case, starring De Niro, Pacino, Kilmer and Voight.

It’s very good.

[ps - includes an instrumental of Joy Division’s New Dawn Fades by Moby. Even better for me].

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I’m watching on Film4 - Heat (1995).

Unless my memory fails me, I’ve not heard of it before! About a group of bank robbers and a police detective on their case, starring De Niro, Pacino, Kilmer and Voight.

It’s very good.

[ps - includes an instrumental of Joy Division’s New Dawn Fades by Moby. Even better for me].

It's quite highly regarded, is a remake of Michael Mann's own tv movie, LA takedown. When it first came out it was heavily promoted as including the first scene that Robert De Niro and Al Pacino shared.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Loving it.

Awesome film. The coffee shop scene is one of the greatest scenes between my two favourite actors. The gun battle is also a stunning set piece that leaves you a little breathless a bit like the first 30 mins of Saving Private Ryan.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Just watched Children of Men, a film that passed me by on release. Deeply impressive wish I'd seen it before and is one of those films I could sit down and immediately watch again.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I like the actor John Cusack, but had never heard of Say Anything (1989), until recommended on an imbd list. I bought the dvd and have just watched it with my daughter.

Really good, I’d recommend this if you like the John Hughes genre. Also stars ‘Martin Crane’ from Frasier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here