Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2023

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oppie's good, very good with a surprising amount of boobies.

It feels related to Oliver Stone's JFK - which despite being batshite, is fine by me.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I did the Barbenheimer doublebill today.

I started with Oppenheimer. I'm a bit of a Nolan fanboy, so I was probably pre-disposed toenjoy this, and enjoy it I did. I will need at least another viewing, but it felt like it may have been a little bit too rushed in the first 30mins, and maybe dragged a bit when we get to the part of the story where War has ended, but it didn't really bother me much. Josh Hartnett has really aged well. Emily Blunt was more expressive than she was in Jungle Cruise, though this film didn't have a lot for her to do. There were so many recogniseable names (both younger and more established actors) and faces working on this, it felt like a lot of them were bit part players.

I had become aware of the presence of boobies earlier this week. Apparently it's become a bit of a focal point around the film. It was both more and less than I was expecting.

It has not dislodged The Prestige from the top of my Nolan and film list but it is certainly one of the better films I've seen this year.

Then almost stright in to watch Barbie, and it was another strong film. It was a good doublebill. It's hard to describe without spoiling (and I'm sure a lot of you on here are preparing to go watch it so, I'll try not to spoil it). It was both a celebration, and a cynical look at Barbie and feminism, and personal identity. There is as much in this film about Ken finding a purpose separate from Barbie as there is about girlpower!

It was absurd at points. More than any films I've seen it felt like it was filmed in the height of the pandemic with people in their own shots. It felt like it was made by a film fan, with notable references ranging from kubrik to Zack Snyder by way of the 70s studio system.

It was generally a load of fun.

As the credits started the girl next to me asked the woman she was with (probably mother, but don't want to assume) what a gynaecologist is.

And now some more trailers:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm going to be all over that Napoleon flick when it comes out.

I watched Evil Dead Rise the other night. Decent horrors are very few and far between, but this one ticked a lot of boxes without taking itself TOO seriously. The blood and gore is absolutely off the scale, and there are some genuinely unsettling moments (plus one scene involving a cheese grater which I simply could not hack and had to turn away from - that does NOT happen often). It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but its an enjoyable wheeze.

77%.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Sunday of bank holiday weekend Harbourlights cinema (Southampton) are showing the triple bill of Die Hards - I'll be lying if I said I wasn't keen!

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Just got back from Oppenheimer and I found it quite underwhelming.
I'm on the fence with Nolan films, some are quality (Memento, The Prestige, Inception) but this felt like it didn't flow very well. Very slow first 30mins then quite exciting at the birth of the Manhattan project, then very slow for another 40mins or so then loads of tension for the Trinity test (which has been massively overhyped in the media) and then very rushed for the final part.
I don't feel like Oppenheimer's sense of moral turmoil was portrayed that well, very little focus on Trinity and virtually nothing on either the production of Fat Man and Little Boy or the horrific devastation in Hiroshima or Nagasaki.
The film, for me at least, didn't capture the true horror of atomic weapons, it all felt a bit flat. Certainly wouldn't watch it again.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Barbie on course for a $ 150 000 000 opening weekend in the USA. Looks like it will do well over $ 1 billion at the worldwide box office with great reviews from critics and audiences on 90%. Fair play I never saw this coming. Might even go and see it. I thought it would Bomb, shows what I know

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I don't feel like Oppenheimer's sense of moral turmoil was portrayed that well, very little focus on Trinity and virtually nothing on either the production of Fat Man and Little Boy or the horrific devastation in Hiroshima or Nagasaki.
The film, for me at least, didn't capture the true horror of atomic weapons, it all felt a bit flat.

It's a film about Oppenheimer, not atomic weapons.

We're not shown Hiroshima or Nagasaki, because that wasn't Oppenheimer's view (he found out by radio reports).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Barbie on course for a $ 150 000 000 opening weekend in the USA. Looks like it will do well over $ 1 billion at the worldwide box office with great reviews from critics and audiences on 90%. Fair play I never saw this coming. Might even go and see it. I thought it would Bomb, shows what I know
Think I'll save Barbie for a long-haul flight. Sounds like quite smartass fun, but would feel way too weird watching it in a UK cinema surrounded by little kids

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Having spent much of the day gardening I shall now be mostly lying on the sofa waiting for the WOPR to play Tic-Tac-Toe.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Hey, @Stat Brother , I finally got around to watching How to Blow up a Pipeline on Netflix. It's good, not sure I enjoyed it as much as you seemed to, but definitely worth a watch.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey, @Stat Brother , I finally got around to watching How to Blow up a Pipeline on Netflix. It's good, not sure I enjoyed it as much as you seemed to, but definitely worth a watch.
Good stuff.

As I think I said a while back in the cinema some of the hard cuts were 'back of the seat stuff' esp when coupled with the sound.
I'm not sure that's easily replicated at home.

But even without that edge I'm pleased the film held its own for you.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The majority of the audience is over 18 year olds

Taken $ 337 000 000 over the weekend

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Had the good fortune to notice yesterday that Smoking Causes Coughing was on down my local-ish Vue at 9am. I predicted myself to be a lone viewer, but 3 other gentlemen of the cinema decided to attend alone, and certainly chortle. If you have a taste for the absurd and imaginative i would definitely recommend. It mainly centres on a team of super-powered avengers who look like mostly aged Mighty Morphing Power Rangers, and fight creatures like the Rangers did. But their power combined is that of a cigarette and can quickly bring explosive cancer to a rubbery tortoise nemesis. There is a loose narrative, but the highlights usually come in the form of moments with their chief, who is a rat who dribbles green goo, yet in most video calls has a beautiful women in the bed behind me.
It was all silly and gory and stylish. Good to see that such stuff is being made, even if it's outside of the UK and in France.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
And the second film i saw was Aussie horror Talk To Me. I thought this quite good until the end, where it attempted too much story and closure, when beforehand it was matter of fact, and fitting for teenagers to get high on brief possession. Mobiles filmed the moments and the secretive nature of teenage life, and testing limitations, felt true. The horror was edgy and the personal tragedy that finds its way into the horror well toned. The spirits they encounter and invite in are horrible to look at, and i didn't think i'd see a 12 or 13 year old do what he did, so it was unnerving. And therefore worth a look for anyone with a reasonable stomach.
Will keep an eye out for what the directors do next.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Had the good fortune to notice yesterday that Smoking Causes Coughing was on down my local-ish Vue at 9am. I predicted myself to be a lone viewer, but 3 other gentlemen of the cinema decided to attend alone, and certainly chortle. If you have a taste for the absurd and imaginative i would definitely recommend. It mainly centres on a team of super-powered avengers who look like mostly aged Mighty Morphing Power Rangers, and fight creatures like the Rangers did. But their power combined is that of a cigarette and can quickly bring explosive cancer to a rubbery tortoise nemesis. There is a loose narrative, but the highlights usually come in the form of moments with their chief, who is a rat who dribbles green goo, yet in most video calls has a beautiful women in the bed behind me.
It was all silly and gory and stylish. Good to see that such stuff is being made, even if it's outside of the UK and in France.
That's been in my watchlist since I saw the trailer quite a while back. Unfortunately the cineworld preview was on a day I couldn't make it, and its run in the cinema here was too short when my opportunity to go was limited, so I have to wait for it to become available for home viewing (hoping it makes it to BFI player or mubi).

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
That's been in my watchlist since I saw the trailer quite a while back. Unfortunately the cineworld preview was on a day I couldn't make it, and its run in the cinema here was too short when my opportunity to go was limited, so I have to wait for it to become available for home viewing (hoping it makes it to BFI player or mubi).
I just watched this short from the same director

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Found Oppenheimer a bit of a slog, if I'm being honest. Would 'of' found Barbenheimer a completely absurd proposition. As would most sane people. Would be like watching, say, Schindler's List and Toy Story in a double-header

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here