Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2023

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Nah.

I was interested when it was announced Greta Gerwig would write/direct it. The teaser trailer was great. The full trailer seems like it could go either way (going from 'barbie world' to 'the real world' could be funny with a lot of commentary, but also could be cliche and tritely obvious), but I am certainly looking forward to going (possibly as a double-bill with oppenheimer like TC).

Yup, double-bill with Oppenheimer is the way forward :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Almost right one time

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Indy 5 was a mixed bag

First 25 minutes was very very good, however the rest was very hit and miss in a Disney rehash sort of way, this followed the same pattern as the force awakens.

I thought They dealt with Fords age well, shame they dumbed down his character along side it.

Shaw was just a horrible character, she didn't really have a character arc, if the plan is for her to take the fedora, it will fail.

Voller was an interesting villain, but they didn't really do a great deal with him

Two car chases back to back that went on too long

Ending seemed very rushed, which given the length of the film shouldn't have happened.

Was better than Crystal Skull, enjoyable enough, but wouldn't rush to see again.

I can see Shaw being given a Disney plus show to test the waters before another film.

Given how good the AI was on fords face, how long till you don't need the actual actor beyond the voice?

Given the year Disney have had so far, not sure it will be the success they need

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Almost right one time

I've now listened to this pod.
10 sport/pop culture talking heads each names their best film, so far, in 2023.

9 of the 10 contributors wanted Past Lives - make of that what you will.

(Pipeline rounds off the list)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
and everyone thinks Twitter is a waste of time

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I though IJ 5 was very acceptable but sadly it looks like tanking at the Box Office struggling to get to $ 400 000 000 Worldwide making Disney a $ 250 000 000 loss, $ 300 000 000 budget, 50% of $ 400 000 000, $ 150 000 000 promotion

People judging the film before it was released and not seeing it and falsely claiming it was woke making the female lead the new Indiana Jones

It has very positive audience comments on Rotten Tomatoes with an 88% mark

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I though IJ 5 was very acceptable but sadly it looks like tanking at the Box Office struggling to get to $ 400 000 000 Worldwide making Disney a $ 250 000 000 loss, $ 300 000 000 budget, 50% of $ 400 000 000, $ 150 000 000 promotion
Hollywood accounting. Don't put too much stock in the numbers.

A lot of the money spent on promotion would have been paid to Disney or their own divisions, allowing Disney to claim the film didn't make a profit so they don't have to pay profit-related bonuses. (Ed Solomon has written about this a bit - Men In Black, which he wrote, still hasn't officially made a profit so he hasn't been paid what he is owed).

Plus, films will make in the home video market. Though Blu Ray/DVD sales aren't as high as they used to be, there are still deals in streaming services (both as potential selling points for Disney+ and for other streaming services), TV broadcast rights, merchandising licenses, etc.

Disney will make money on this movie. The movie will only show a loss if they want it to.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
There is no way Disney will make money from IJ 5, for many studio's the loss would bankrput them

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nah.

I was interested when it was announced Greta Gerwig would write/direct it. The teaser trailer was great. The full trailer seems like it could go either way (going from 'barbie world' to 'the real world' could be funny with a lot of commentary, but also could be cliche and tritely obvious), but I am certainly looking forward to going (possibly as a double-bill with oppenheimer like TC).

I thought Rolf Harris had carked it ???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Woof and indeed woof

I've always wanted chandeliers on the bonnet of my car.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part One.
This was a blast. Yes, the macguffin has a ridiculous name that you might struggle to keep a straight face when it's treated like a serious threat, but it was a good film, great stunts and action set pieces, some tense sticky situations. While it is 'part one' and there is still work to be done, I thought they did a great job of making it feel as complete a story as it is.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
This was a blast. Yes, the macguffin has a ridiculous name that you might struggle to keep a straight face when it's treated like a serious threat, but it was a good film, great stunts and action set pieces, some tense sticky situations. While it is 'part one' and there is still work to be done, I thought they did a great job of making it feel as complete a story as it is.
Yes, this was great fun. By far the best MI, Atwell is excellent and great action scenes. The best Bond film since Goldeneye ( or the first two Bourne films)

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Enjoyed it a lot in all it's ridiculousness. And it's a truly ridiculous film. Many faults, fights and chase scenes extended for too long but it was still a lot of fun. Helped by two very beautiful women.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Is that MI film finally out then? They were talking about this during the first lockdown and haven’t shut up about it since.
Over exposure.
I lost interest in it about two years ago.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just watched Dead Reckoning it felt like 2 films.

Some truly spectacular action all joined together with absolutely woeful script and 4th wall breaking 'timing'.

Were I not in a cinema I would have exclaimed "oh f**k off" in every conceivable intonation available to me.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Lorks-a-lordy, watched Beau is Afraid this morning/afternoon....

Film equivalent of listening to Throbbing Gristle in a dark room non stop for 3 hours...

Wack im Feenix a darn fine actor chappie it must be said

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Currently having a coffee waiting for Oppenheimer.

A rather eclectic mix of pink and grey hair in the cafe, balanced out by my phenomenal locks.
TBH with the exception of a few die hard fans it's hard to say who's going to which screening.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
I want to watch Sound of Freedom, especially as the MSM are smearing it which is baffling as its based on a true story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here