[Film] Film 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Saw Asteroid City Monday arvo. Beautifully filmed and a few titters but....I had absolutely no idea what was going on and by an hour in I ceased to care.

Usually after a film I spend time thing about it and the message or story the director and writer are trying to portray...I have not thought about Asteroid City since. Avoid unless you are a real Wes fan boy.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Technically Film 1973 but I went to see the 50th anniversary screening of 'The Wicker Man' at the DOY tonight. Great to see it on the big screen.

Unfortunately it was preceded by an overly long and underly entertaining recording of Edith Bowman interviewing various people who weren't interesting. Felt longer than the film itself and really unnecessary.

After the film there was a Q&A with 2 of the directors sons and a producer who are working on a documentary but due to all the stuff before the film pretty much everyone left to grab a beer before closing or get home before midnight.
I have the Wicker Man on dvd. It also has the cut scenes in a separate version. This version has the full Britt Ekland “Willow’s Song” and other nudey scenes featuring Britt that impressed me as a teenager. The CD is also one of my favourite albums

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Went to see Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. I don't think I'm a massive indiana jones fan. I watched the original trilogy when I was a kid, but don't have an enthusiastic love of them, barely remember what happened in the first two, and only remember slightly more about the 3rd. I saw the 4th in the cinema, but don't think I've rewatached it since.

That is to say, I didn't watch this as a massive fan. Might work against me if I missed some references, but equally, I don't hold anything in such regard I'd be upset with changes or ignoring things.

I thought it was fine. Yes, it does require some suspension of disbelief toward the end, but I think it seems to have set it up by referring to previous supernatural and vodoo elements, kinda saying 'yeah, this is a stretch, but so were the original movies'. Had some nitpicky issues (characters disappearing, plot points forgotten
did everyone forget he was accused of multiple murders? What happened to the CIA?
), but overall it was fine.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Favourite films of the year so far please :) (looking for some inspiration)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not been a good year for films as yet but for me wrath of becky, evil dead rise and Sisu.
Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing Sisu, which is released on Blu Ray in a couple of weeks

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Went to see Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny with very low expectations - Crystal Skull low. Let's just say they were surpassed.

7/10

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yeah Dial of Destiny was better than I expected.
An awful lot of long, jeapordy free chases and too long, but decent fun

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny review. Limited Spoilers

This was very good with a decent story and action, better than the Crystal Skull maybe on a par with Temple of Doom not better than Raiders or the Last Crusade obviously

Harrison Ford did a great job at 80, wearing the leather jacket and fedora. Indy was back, Williams score as iconic as ever

He has turned into an old man drinking too much with no real purpose anymore or anyone in his life, back to timeline

Flashback A great start in the 1940's battling the Nazi's in the 1940 s on a train, good action, the cgi bringing Indy back as a 40 ish man worked quite well and had to go along with it

Zipped along well, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, he is her godfather who came back into his life and purpose again was a good match for him

A great horse chase in New York and tuk tuk s in Morocco
Interesting artifact storyline and explanation and old faces from Raiders, story was solid

Crazy part 3 but came together at the end

A moving ending I did not see but a perfect finish
Harrison Ford was great as Indy again, he delivered a great performance a happy retirement

I LOVE these films cherished for me and the end kept the bar high and respecting of the legacy

A good job done imo and end. It rates a 83 out of 100

The Last Crusade 95
Raiders of the Lost Ark 93
The Temple of Doom 88
The Dial of Destiny 83
Crystal Skull 77

AAcHTtdakDScUBYgnFRvzHFSiUGv5-mS-xF1T548AP1NBiNU=s40-p-mo
Great!
Amazing story!
Thanks for the tip!
ReplyForward

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Saw Asteroid City Monday arvo. Beautifully filmed and a few titters but....I had absolutely no idea what was going on and by an hour in I ceased to care.

Usually after a film I spend time thing about it and the message or story the director and writer are trying to portray...I have not thought about Asteroid City since. Avoid unless you are a real Wes fan boy.
Yeah what a load of old bollocks

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana Jones was okay but needed to be at least 15 minutes shorter. The temperature in Screen 1 at the Komedia currently is NOT okay

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Indiana Jones was okay but needed to be at least 15 minutes shorter. The temperature in Screen 1 at the Komedia currently is NOT okay
Yes I agree, third section was a bit chaotic but came together at the end

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not been a good year for films as yet but for me wrath of becky, evil dead rise and Sisu.
I'd say the year has been fine. We're at the end of June and I'm not sure there has been a film, especially at the cinema, that I have loved and considered a great film. There are a lot of good to rather goods, not sure there are many I consider absolute stinkers. It's all been quite middling.

I really enjoyed the Flash, came out of it having had a rollicking good time, but it wasn't a 'good film'. Spider-man: Across the Spider-Verse is a really good film, but for me wasn't as good as Into the Spider-verse, had a lot going on to the point you need several viewings to catch everything and had a 'to be continued' ending that leaves an insatisfied feeling.

Marcel the Shell with Shoes On was cute fun, but was a stretched a little thin. Pearl was an interesting idea, complements X well. Polite Society was fun, but maybe niche appeal. Rye Lane was a fresh take on rom-com but feels little like a london travelog, and maybe skews to a younger audience. Dungeons & Dragons was better than expected. I really enjoyed Guardians of the Galay 3, but one of my friends walked out of it after an hour, another didn't think it was as good as the second. I enjoyed the littel mermaid, but it's another in the growin list of pointless live-action remakes of classi animation films. John Wick was fun, but unnecessarily long. Fast X was probably the F&F film I enjoyed most since 5, but that's a low bar.

I really didn't like Beau is Afraid, but then I didn't like Ari Aster's previous films (Hereditary and Midsommar).

Away from cinema, most of the films aren't 2023, but I caught the Foo Fighter's horror comedy 'Studio 666' which was throwaway fun. The movie version of the stage musical version of Mathilda is now on Netflix after coming to cinemas late in 2022. It's quite fun. I liked Netflix's All Quiet on the Western Front.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd say the year has been fine. We're at the end of June and I'm not sure there has been a film, especially at the cinema, that I have loved and considered a great film. There are a lot of good to rather goods, not sure there are many I consider absolute stinkers. It's all been quite middling.

I really enjoyed the Flash, came out of it having had a rollicking good time, but it wasn't a 'good film'. Spider-man: Across the Spider-Verse is a really good film, but for me wasn't as good as Into the Spider-verse, had a lot going on to the point you need several viewings to catch everything and had a 'to be continued' ending that leaves an insatisfied feeling.

Marcel the Shell with Shoes On was cute fun, but was a stretched a little thin. Pearl was an interesting idea, complements X well. Polite Society was fun, but maybe niche appeal. Rye Lane was a fresh take on rom-com but feels little like a london travelog, and maybe skews to a younger audience. Dungeons & Dragons was better than expected. I really enjoyed Guardians of the Galay 3, but one of my friends walked out of it after an hour, another didn't think it was as good as the second. I enjoyed the littel mermaid, but it's another in the growin list of pointless live-action remakes of classi animation films. John Wick was fun, but unnecessarily long. Fast X was probably the F&F film I enjoyed most since 5, but that's a low bar.

I really didn't like Beau is Afraid, but then I didn't like Ari Aster's previous films (Hereditary and Midsommar).

Away from cinema, most of the films aren't 2023, but I caught the Foo Fighter's horror comedy 'Studio 666' which was throwaway fun. The movie version of the stage musical version of Mathilda is now on Netflix after coming to cinemas late in 2022. It's quite fun. I liked Netflix's All Quiet on the Western Front.
All that and no mention of Pipeline!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
All that and no mention of Pipeline!
I've not had a chance to see it yet. It would have to be quite some film to turn the year into a a good year for film (though given you posts about it, I suspect you'd say is is that good).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've not had a chance to see it yet. It would have to be quite some film to turn the year into a a good year for film (though given you posts about it, I suspect you'd say is is that good).
No probably not, but it does elevate the conversation, a touch.
I'm not sure the cuts will be as impactful at home, but hopefully the sound holds up.

Air was good and I'm waiting for Blackberry, before we hit the big 2 over the upcoming weeks.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is it wrong to want to watch the Barbie film? Just for shits and giggles, like
Nah.

I was interested when it was announced Greta Gerwig would write/direct it. The teaser trailer was great. The full trailer seems like it could go either way (going from 'barbie world' to 'the real world' could be funny with a lot of commentary, but also could be cliche and tritely obvious), but I am certainly looking forward to going (possibly as a double-bill with oppenheimer like TC).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports