Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2010

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Saw that Avatar in 3d yesterday, I quite enjoyed it I suupose, it does look amazing. Shame the dialogue is bollocks and the end is a massive cheesefest. Oh and that the storyline is made up of lots of bits of other films.

Cineworld at midday on a weekday is just plain weird.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Looking For Eric,

Wasn't that fussed about seeing this but watched it last Sunday and thought it was brilliant. Just a really well made, funny film and Cantona is great in it. Not what I was expecting at all but turned out to be one of the best films I have seen for ages.

I rate it a solid 7.5

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
I am looking forward to Invictus!

I shall close my eyes if they show anything of the Lomu demolition of England (although I very much doubt they will).

INVICTUS

On paper should be brilliant:
Sports movie -(admitedly only American Football movies seem to be any good)
Directed by Clint Eastwood
Morgan Freeman
Powerful subject

half way through and utterly disappointed. Don't even think much of Freeman's South Africaan accent.

was expecting so much better.

Sherlock Holmes was better than I thought it would be though.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I am not a big fan of Sci-Fi so the prospect of 2 hours and 40 minutes watching Avatar 3D last night didn't fill me with excitement.

But I was pleasantly surprised. The Odeon was full. The 3D wasn't distracting but helped the spectacle of the film, and whilst the 162 minutes didn't exactly fly by, you certainly got VFM.

Bound to win loads of gongs, but this is a film you need to see on the big screen. Don't just wait for the DVD.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I done posted this is the wrong thread originally innit

I watched the Hurt Locker last night. Pretty good, though I wasn't overly impressed at the critics seem to be with it. Probably worth a 7. Got Sin Nombre coming this weekend, well excited about that.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Just saw Sherlock the other night. Prefer Basil Rathbone in the roll myself.
This was more like The Sweeney than Sherlock Holmes

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'm going to see Invictus on Sunday. Really looking forward to it - I haven't looked forward to a movie with such anticipation since, um, ever.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
sin nombre. 7.8

story about ms13 and gangs in mexico. think city of god with big white socks pulled up top the knees saying hey essey, homies , puto!!!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
After a minimum of 10 films per month last year, I've had a disappointing start to my cinema going year, seeing none in january.

I saw two today (sandwiching todays game between them).

The Princess and the Frog
CG is cute and all, but it starts to lose something when every cartoon is cg. I thought what made coraline an fantastic mr fox stand out last year was that it was an animation style which isn't overused.

I think the same can now be said for traditional 2d animation, which this is. There were some toe-tapping tunes, and a cute heart to this latest offering from Disney. Typical be true to yourself, find a balance between work and play, work for your dreams instead of expecting them to be handed to you sort of message, but still fun. Very good start to my cinema year.

Invictus
After the game, I returned to the cinema for this oscar contender. I rather enjoyed it, though did find myself wishing we had someone in our team who could inspired them to achieve what they are capable of. Good pace, good length. Hard to see Morgan Freeman as anyone other than Freeman, but still a good film. Not Damon's best performance (he was great in 'the informant') but was still a good one.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Youth in Revolt
Michael Cera returns in yet another film with exactly the same character, but this is one of his funniest efforts, and although the plot is at times very contrived, it is a funny film which handles the lead character's dual personality plot element very well. Worth a watch if you're into the kind of teenage American comedy films around at the moment 7/10

A Single Man
Colin Firth is fantastic in one of the best films I've seen in ages. A professor, mourning the loss of his partner, intends to kill himself at the end of the day, but meetings with characters along the way might change things. Difficult to explain without it sounding naff, which this film is anything but! Stylishly shot (there is a lot going on with the camera here), thoughtful and very moving, this is probably the best of this year's Oscar contenders I've seen so far. 9/10

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
My favourite film from last year by far was 'Inglorious Basterds'. Absolutely loved it. Hope this gets many awards. Also hope 'Hurt Locker' and 'The Hangover' do well. Worried that 'Avatar' will wipe the floor though which is annoying as aside from the 3D aspect, the film had a very poor story, very average acting and dragged on IMO.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have seem numerous films in the last 10 weeks so here go's

The Hurt Locker

This film is an in your face tour of duty in Iraq wuth a bomb disposal team. One of the men is frankkly either nuts or incredibly brave. We follow him and the scene with the Iraqi boombed to the hilt as a reluctant suicide bomber is the stand out. Ralph Fiennes appears briefly for 5 minutes before buying it.

Kathyrn Bigelow is probably the best female director around and it excellent at action scenes like the free fall sky dive in Point Break a stunning piece of cinema but her best film is the hugely under rated Strange Days with Ralph Fiennes, Angela Bassett, Tom Sizemore and Juliette Lewis.

A have a hunch Bigelow will win the oscar for best director from LA next month.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Invictus 7.2 - not as good as most of the Clint Eastwood-directed films of the past few years, and I couldn't take Matt Damon as Pienaar seriously. It would have been better if I'd known a bit less about the '95 Rugby World Cup though.

Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll 8.3 - a superb biopic of Ian Dury. Andy Serkis's portrayal of Dury was absolutely spot on, and the mix between pantomime and the actual storyline was really clever.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Juno

There are teenage films that nake yu cringe and teenage films like Napaolean Dynamite that can be thoroughly loved ay adults as they are works of art. Juno is not in the same league as Napolean Dynamite but its a sweet, enyobale film with a super assured perfornamce from up and coming hotshot, Ellen Page who was nominated for an Oscar. Started off as just another teenage film but developed into a witty, dark and rounded film.

Worth a view.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Wolfman
I didn't know what to expect, I kinda thought it might be a little tongue in cheek, like The Mummy, but it's not. I found it to be very... middling. It wasn't great, it wasn't awful, it wasn't exiting, it wasn't dull. It just seemed... pointless. And entirely predictable. One revelation I guessed when I saw the trailer, and felt confident of within two mintues of the film starting.

Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' By Sapphire
The novel has actually been renamed "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' By Sapphire" by Sapphire, just so people know it's the same book as the film. I know.

This was actually very good. It was quite uplifting, especially considering it's a film about an overweight, illiterate victim of incestuous rape resulting in two babies... Mo'Nique's performance was quite average for most of the film, then she has a fantastic scene at the end which takes it to a hole other level.

I spent most of mariah carey's scenes wondering if she was playing a comedy character with that accent...

Very good film.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here