Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2010

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I saw The Road a couple of months ago. Good enough version of the novel, if a little over-earnest in its blanket of doom but love and honesty prevails routine. The world is done in and cannibals want whatever's still wondering around two-leggedly.
The Independent reviewer said only a manic depressive or someone about to kill themselves would recommend this to anyone. So it looks like i am on my last legs as i thought it was alright. The director we know from The Proposition, a bruisingly effective affair, and of course Vigo was rightly cast as the gaunt, bearded father pushing trolleys through the lifeless wilderness hoping something might arise that has a tad of hope attached to it. Grim and gruelling but worthwhile.

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
Didn't realise it was the same director as The Proposition , which i thought was marvellous.

The book is great , and i'm sure i the film will be impressive , so i imagine my time on this planet is limited , according to the Indy .

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Straight after watching The Road i'd give it a 7 but a few days later i'd up it to an 8 or 9 as it's very memorable, a real mood piece. Quite a few people walked out of the showing (it is slow and relentlessly GRIM) but it looks really fantastic and certainly made me think. as for the Independent review, Avatar depressed me more than this film ever would. Definitely worth watching if you don't mind not much happening. Will be interesting to see how Book of Eli (similar end of the world scenario) will compare, looks crash-bang-wallop and Gary Oldman hamming it up AGAIN.

Last edited:

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Agree with the latter review of Nowhere Boy...a film like that is always going to be about script, performance and capturing the mood / era.

I thought on the whole it did this well, with excellent performances from the leading cast.

The mood is indeed gloomyish but then that encapsulates what I assume Lennon's outlook was (or the director Taylor-Wood understood it to be at least!).

Good solid film for me.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Really looking forward to seeing The Road (probably tonight).

Also heard very good things about forthcoming French flick A Prophet.

Anyone seen Sherlock H yet...heard it's surprisingly alright!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Went to see Up in the Air last night at the Duke of York's. Its a while since I've been there and it makes a welcome break from the chain cinemas in Brighton. It reminds you what going to the pictures used to be like, with drinks and home made cakes at sensible prices - even if the seats were as uncomfortable as they always were.

As far as the film was concerned, I was sceptical, despite the FIVE STAR Oscar nomination review in the Argus. Fortunately it just underlined my long held opinion never to go to - or avoid - a film based on what anyone else says about it (including on NSC Film 2010)

Clooney is cast as a smooth older middle aged bloke travelling first class round the USA as a consultant personnel hatchet man who's aiming to earn 10000000 air miles and avoid going home. His co-"stars" were weak, presumably so as not to overshadow Clooney, which they achieved easily.

I'd describe it as utter drivel, although I believe the NSC expression may be Gash!

Five stars? Are you having a laugh?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I saw Sherlock Holmes. Not bad but it made him look like a superhero, good camera work and sets but it could have been better. 6/10.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Up In The Air

From the director of Juno (a work of genius), it lived down to my expectations. Thin and predictable story line, Clooney being Clooney but without his usual tongue in cheek, forgettable support cast. Really felt like it should have been a one hour TV special. Hollywood can't fake indie - so it shouldn't try.

Having said that, it was mildly diverting but £9/head at the Odious in T Wells could have been better spent almost anywhere else.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Straight after watching The Road i'd give it a 7 but a few days later i'd up it to an 8 or 9 as it's very memorable, a real mood piece. Quite a few people walked out of the showing (it is slow and relentlessly GRIM) but it looks really fantastic and certainly made me think. as for the Independent review, Avatar depressed me more than this film ever would. Definitely worth watching if you don't mind not much happening. Will be interesting to see how Book of Eli (similar end of the world scenario) will compare, looks crash-bang-wallop and Gary Oldman hamming it up AGAIN.

I really liked it. But I have always liked bleak spacious films. I thought the ending was good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I also saw The White Ribbon last week. Very good as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Went to see Up in the Air last night at the Duke of York's. Its a while since I've been there and it makes a welcome break from the chain cinemas in Brighton. It reminds you what going to the pictures used to be like, with drinks and home made cakes at sensible prices - even if the seats were as uncomfortable as they always were.

And no chavs munching and slurping their way through endless bags of shit, popcorn and sugary drinks.

I love the place. Membership is a bargain as well.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Precious

fecking hell: hardhitting, emotional and TOTALLY engrossing. bound to win Oscars and deservedly so. most surprisngly, Mariah Carey can act!

10/10

Precious, good film but hang on, Mariah Carey can act is a statement too far!
The film about a girl ( Excellently played by whoever she was ) brought up by an abusive mother ( Queen Latifah )
This film shows you how cruel life can be & although that can be the case there are ways to rise above it. I thought it a very good film well worth seeing but Mariah I found to be a little wooden.
Powerful & moving 9/10

The Road, yes very good acting but grey, grey, grey & as for the happy ending, just don't take a first date, in fact don't take any date unless you don't want to get anywhere with her.

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Precious, good film but hang on, Mariah Carey can act is a statement too far!

- i always thought she was a complete airhead (with great tits) so didn't think she did too bad at all.

The film about a girl ( Excellently played by whoever she was ) brought up by an abusive mother ( Queen Latifah )

- didn't realise that was Queen Latifah, excellent performance

i also have to big up the Dukes, support your local cinema or it will die!

aswell as the Dukes membeship price being good value for films, ANY show at the Komedia that has a "discount/concession" price, you can get this price there by showing your Dukes card - particularly useful for the comedy shows :thumbsup:

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
quite disapointed with invictus. seems just like a vehicle for morgan freemans impersonation ofmandela

however.........

lovelybones. 8.5 directed by peter jackson, you get to see his take on what heaven will look like. very moving.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here