Film 2008

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
What a film...released last year but I saw it just a few weeks ago at the cinema. One of the best films of the decade!

Telling the story of a writer and his actress girlfriend under Stasi-scrutinised East Germany, this film has exceptionally touching performances (not least from Ulrich Mühe as the Stasi surveillance man).

I won't say more on storyline as it could detract anyone thinking of seeing it but there are some top notch scenes in a flawless masterpiece.

The script gets 10.0 for script and 9.5 for acting!

The lead actor dies recently - he is excellent. As perviously posted, watch him in Funny Games!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Mr Brooks

Been wanting to see this for a while. It was a very good thriller about a successful business man played by Kevin Costner who in his free time had psycopathic tendencies egged on by the monkey on his shoulder played by William Hurt.

Several good sub plots including a decent performance by Demi Moore as a hard as nails cop on this trail. A departure for Costner who was very good and his career appears to be on the upturn as he matures with an out of character role.

Recommended

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I had a toss-up yesterday, and when that was finished i had to decide on which film to watch in the afternoon. The choice was a simple one: go to the cinema for something as plain as Bucket List, or stay in with an enormous cup of tea for The Fall of the Roman Empire. The latter had me, and i enjoyed it. Some of the central acting was atrocious and wooden-boarded, but Alec Guinness and James Mason were appealing until death subordinately took tham before i wished. Another great part was the depiction of the barbarians, who were all ginger and bearded and loathed the notion of being romanised. They held clubs and looked to batter anything that moved. It reminded me of Newcastle. I also had the horn for Sofia Loren. Heavens to motherfucking betsy!

This week i have the preview of the new Lars Von Trier one tomorrow night, and a viewing of Bertolucci's The Conformist on Sunday. Should be an interesting cinematic week.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
You've read all the reports on these above, so I'll just say:

Juno 8.2
No Country for Old Men 8.4
The Lives of Others 8.5

All in all a very satisfying weekend of movies.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Watched Shane Meadows' 24/7 last night. Excellent film, Meadow's first full length film, a great b/w low-budget flick starring Bob Hoskins and a load of Meadows' own childhood pals. Plus, a menacing performance from Les Battersby out of Corrie.

Definitely recommend it. :thumbsup:

9/10

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
24/7 is brilliant, watch Room For Romeo Brass if you've not seen it

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
24/7 is brilliant, watch Room For Romeo Brass if you've not seen it

Yeah, saw that a couple of months ago. Excellent film, too.

I bought this brilliant Shane Meadows box set a while back, This Is Shane Meadows. Contains 24/7, Room For Romeo Brass, Dead Man's Shoes and This Is England. Not watched Dead Man's Shoes yet, but I hear it's a very different kind of film.

SHANE_large.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Number 23

So piss-poor and dull that I gave up after half an hour. Jim Carrey should stick to GOONING it up, cos from what I saw, he was turd in this.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yeah, saw that a couple of months ago. Excellent film, too.

I bought this brilliant Shane Meadows box set a while back, This Is Shane Meadows. Contains 24/7, Room For Romeo Brass, Dead Man's Shoes and This Is England. Not watched Dead Man's Shoes yet, but I hear it's a very different kind of film.

SHANE_large.jpg

Dead Man's Shoes is very different to all of his other films, very, very black comedy. All of Shane Meadows films are brilliant apart from Once Upon A Time In The Midlands, which is awful

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Number 23

So piss-poor and dull that I gave up after half an hour. Jim Carrey should stick to GOONING it up, cos from what I saw, he was turd in this.

I though it was ok 7.1

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
How the feck did the Golden Compass beat Transformers for best special effects Oscar ?.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Dead Man's Shoes is very different to all of his other films, very, very black comedy. All of Shane Meadows films are brilliant apart from Once Upon A Time In The Midlands, which is awful

I would actually say nearly all of his films are darkly comic and follow the same narrative structure. Usually younger man aquires a father figure who is revealled to be slightly unhinged and the film ends in a violent denouncement. The difference with Dead Man's Shoes, and the reason I think it is his most effective film, is that the unhinged father figure is actually on the side of good and the violence happens at the beginning of the third act rather than the end of it. Not only this but it has the courage of it's convictions in that it has no hint of a happy get out clause.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Yes, US, Downfall is a top, top film too (we agree for once ;) ) but shamefully I haven't yet seen The Machinist, but you really should check The Lives Of Others out too. As someone pointed out above, the main actor died (of stomach cancer) sometime shortly after filming, giving this performance extra poignancy....a bit similar to the Il Postino scenario in fact.

Once Upon A Time In The Midlands is indeed a pile of poo. In complete contrast to all his other features, this specimen is a total waste of time and space!

I also like Sophia Loren during her 'epic' (and pre-epic) period(s) :O:p:blush::love::love::love:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I rewatched One Day In September, and I think it's the best documentary film EVER MADE. 11.1

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports