Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2008

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
So, this week I have watched:
Shampoo - very California, very 70s, very "why can't I just be a bit more like Warren Beatty?", quite funny, oddly downbeat ending. I want to f*** Julie Christie.
I Confess - not the most famous or gripping Hitchcock - he's never at his best with dealing with Catholicism, it's too personal for him - but kind-of low-key and interesting. Makes me want to visit Quebec, which looks gorgeous.
Dancer In The Dark - I really love Lars von Trier, but the emotional manipulation is just too blatant in this. Great songs though and Bjork (whom I normally can't stand) is fantastic, as is, of course, the ever-edible Catherine Deneuve. (Tits, face, face, tits, arse, and finally fanny in that order, btw)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Resident Evil Extinction

A reasonable Zombie movie as it was the 3rd in the franchise and held up to scrunity pretty well. Lots of flying limbs and blood splattering with the feirce and stunning Milla Jovovich very much in charge of matters.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm going to have to hit 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days tomorrow. I should have seen it already and am tired of my idleness and choosings to go elsewhere to watch such fly-away gash as Cloverfield.

I went to the cinema in Tuesday though. I play football at 9.15pm, so have 4 hours to kill between work and then, so i went to the NFT and watched God Told Me To. 1970s New York exploitation, naked, religious, murder film. A cop, played by the marvellous Tony Lo Bianco, investigates why random people are simply murdering so many without meaning, until he hears their reason: God Told Me To. As the film trundles on, we are faced with murder, terrible acting, frivolity, a moral question of how Lo Bianco rids himself of his unloved wife despite his catholic upbringing demanding divorce impossible, and humans screaming when the godly truth overpowers them. It's quite a funny film, and the effects are obviously appalling, but it's sort of engrossing nonetheless.
And i won 3-0 at the football afterwards.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
There Will Be Blood- bloody brilliant, unlike any other film i've seen and very engrossing

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Be Kind Rewind - lost its way a little bit in the end but overall a chuckle fest and original - with some great visual gags, a non hollywood ending, plus perfect running time... overall 8.5

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey

Stumpy Tim

Dancer In The Dark - I really love Lars von Trier, but the emotional manipulation is just too blatant in this. Great songs though and Bjork (whom I normally can't stand) is fantastic, as is, of course, the ever-edible Catherine Deneuve. (Tits, face, face, tits, arse, and finally fanny in that order, btw)
Colin Colin Colin. Dancer in the Dark is a fantastic film... it's an emotional film - how can it not be?? One of my favourite films of all time

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
It just depends what you want from film doesn't it. If you want to be wowed by battling cars and their exploding, heartless chassiseseses, then go for it. If you want to have yourself questioned or forced to consider why something had an effect on you, then there are more well-constructed and testing fields to visit. It's been a great start to the year cinematically, with storylines and characters built and painted without the topless absurdity and mind-numbing grenades of summer blockbusters, but it's awards season so it won't last. Interesting stuff though.

Too true.

I also concur with your review of the towering work that is There Will Be Blood. Impressive cinematography, extraordinary score which really is integral to the experience like few other works afore it, DDL in another supreme piece of screen acting (including aspects stated by MB above (post #175) and a creation of true scope both visually and emotionally.

It was at turns a sweeping epic, a bare faced homage to the days of the old west, a film of truly visceral photography, startling performances and was both shocking and amusing (sometimes at the same time).

DDL is an extraordinary individual both on and offscreen (as far as is surmisable from what is known and seen of him) and when he finally settles on a role, you can see plainly that he really puts his heart and soul into it!

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Have got The Lives of Others - will be watching it sometime soon

What a film...released last year but I saw it just a few weeks ago at the cinema. One of the best films of the decade!

Telling the story of a writer and his actress girlfriend under Stasi-scrutinised East Germany, this film has exceptionally touching performances (not least from Ulrich Mühe as the Stasi surveillance man).

I won't say more on storyline as it could detract anyone thinking of seeing it but there are some top notch scenes in a flawless masterpiece.

The script gets 10.0 for script and 9.5 for acting!

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I cannot believe the lives of others is as good as Downfall. Downfall and The Machinist are the best 2 films of the last 5 years imo.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
I cannot believe the lives of others is as good as Downfall. Downfall and The Machinist are the best 2 films of the last 5 years imo.

You should see something before slating it.
:)
Downfall is better, i think. But it's a bloody good film nonetheless, The Lives Of Others. A simply moving drama mostly, dizzied by politics and time and humanity and the seeming inability for the three to ever safely match.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Downfall:bowdown::bowdown:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
How did I slate it ?.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Downfall is a work of genius and the best acting performance by Bruno Ganz quite possibly of all time.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Downfall is a work of genius and the best acting performance by Bruno Ganz quite possibly of all time.

It is quite brilliant.
But check out the mostly voiceless role of Ulrich Muhe, so understated, so eerily honest and humane in it's shadow-cast, dutybound solitude. Quite moving.
Then you can fully decide whether it's better or worse. :)
or whether the roles are different, but perhaps demand equal respect.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It may be brilliant but Downfall is stunning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here