Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Steady

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Cloverfield:

Pile of SHIT. Do not go unless you have had travel sickness tablets well before, and you're up for an hour and a half of bad scripting, and a shockingly rubbish storyline slightly relieved by slightly better acting, and pretty good CGI.

2.0 / 10

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
'No Country For Old Men'

Probably going to get slated for this, but was very dissapointed overall, although superb acting, and stunning cinematography, i thought the film was very badly edited indeed, and the ending was one of the most anti climatic i think i've ever seen.

' Blood Simple' and 'Fargo' it aint, but ok.

no slating from this correspondant. However, I enjoyed it a lot more a day or two after watching it which is normally a good sign - that said I'm unlikely to watch it again in a hurry

one recent film that I have seen twice is Aliens V Predator: Requiem

dicky DVD pissed around a mate's flat first time
cinema 2nd time

it's f***ing shit

0.2 (the .2 is for the blonde bird)

Planet Terror is crap as well

But at least it's bette than Death Proof

Roll on 'There Will Be Blood' I need something to clean my brain

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
No Country For Old Men

Slightly conflicted about this one. The first 90mins build up beautifully, great acting, cinematography, script and storyline. The only slip for me was that it didn't conivince that the Moss character would go back to the scene but nevertheless it's existential themes and patient, tight narrative slowly draw you into the story and characters.

However after a certain point the film begins to lose it's tightness and certain scenes needed trimming. However this is juxtaposed by the fact that the story chooses not to follow any sort of traditional narrative or pat ending which I really liked. I think this section just needed to be edited down.

One last mention must go to Javier Bardem who is awesome in it. Somehow made me kind of like a massive psychopath.

First 90 - 8.8
After that - 7.2
Overall - 8

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Idiocracy

As part of a military experiment, an average soldier (Luke Wilson) is supposed to be cryogenically frozen for a year, but through an unfortunate sequence of events, ends up frozen for 500 years. When he wakes up, he discovers that over the generations, the gene pool has catastrophically dumbed down due to an explosion in trailer-trash breeding. As a result, he is now officially the smartest man in the world, whilst everyone else is carrying an IQ in single figures and the planet is wrecked as a result (no plants are growing any more because they are watering them with a sports energy drink).

The film bombed in the States - probably because its a little too close for comfort "Aww Cleetus, ahhm prigant AGIIIIN !", and although its fairly low budget (there'll be no awards for the special effects), its a brilliant satire on the dumbing-down culture these days and where it could ultimately lead us to. Some real laugh-out-loud moments throughout, I'd recommend it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I quite liked it but didn't think there were any laugh out loud moments just bits that bought a smile to my face.

I laughed out loud at the giant flacid dildo strapped to the bonnet of his car. And there were loads of subtle, clever little gags demonstrating everyones utter stupidity all over the place, often in the background. I like films that do that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Atonement

I thought I would get a romantic film for the other half and with 14 Bafta and 7 Oscat nominations thought I was ssured of a quality slice of film making. Well yes and no. It was VERY slow so much so infact that after an hour the other half was fast asleep. She does like easy going films so this one was not for her.

I persevered and yes it was well acted and directed and the story was midly interesting but I have seen lots of better films in the last year imo, Enchanted was far better, Rocky Balboa was a better film , Transformers was a better film.

The only time I thought this is a worthy and deserving film was the highly impressive Majestic and Cinematically superb chaos on the Normandy beaches , this was excellent.

The ending was not the " weepy " I had heard about just a convenient tail end to a moderately interesting premise.

Don't get me wrong it was a good film but I expecetd a lot more.

I agree with you here Gareth. I thought Atonement was horribly overrated, far too slow, a plodding story, and an unsatsifactory conclusion.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh, something else that occurred to me when watching Idiocracy:

nikcy_forster.jpg

Luke Wilson

lukewilson.jpg

Nicky Forster

???

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I saw a double-bill on Saturday at my local Odeon. Cloverfield was the first one, and of course that was a somewhat feeble attempt at terror. The main monster a Godukiless Godzilla, his miniature spawn all scuttling Alien offspring without the wit and will to implant or directly poison, and the potential victims obscenely clean and attractive, so they're never quite me/us.
It wasn't entirely empty though, and the unsteady camerawork, although inauthentic, still caused the senses to flutter.

The second seen an hour or two later was The Savages. What a lovely film of adult comedy and the circular parentage theme. Not a Freaky Friday or Vice Versa, but how an immature, yet middle-aged offspring have unwanted responsibility for their guileless father now teetering in dementia, infantile and undeveloped. Well worth seeing, in my opinion.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The second seen an hour or two later was The Savages. What a lovely film of adult comedy and the circular parentage theme. Not a Freaky Friday or Vice Versa, but how an immature, yet middle-aged offspring have unwanted responsibility for their guileless father now teetering in dementia, infantile and undeveloped. Well worth seeing, in my opinion.

I concur. Check it out people.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I concur. Check it out people.

The scene where Linney's being worthlessly pumped by her married, balding lover, her genial, heartful expression toward the cheater's eyebrow-raised canine and reaching for the friendliness and loyalty in it's paws will provoke a chilling smile in me for many months.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The scene where Linney's being worthlessly pumped by her married, balding lover, her genial, heartful expression toward the cheater's eyebrow-raised canine and reaching for the friendliness and loyalty in it's paws will provoke a chilling smile in me for many months.

She's not fit really but I strangly fancy her.

I really like the bit when Phillip Seymour Hoffman got his morning eggs. Quality gag set up.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Atonement: Very very obvious why it's Oscar nominated. The cinematography is really special, the acting and casting is spot on (James McAvoy really stood out from the rest), and the twist at the end is brilliant, i didnt expect it at all - and without it, it wouldn't have been half as good as it was. Really want to read the book now

federicoed-up

Feb 7, 2008
Atonement: Very very obvious why it's Oscar nominated. The cinematography is really special, the acting and casting is spot on (James McAvoy really stood out from the rest), and the twist at the end is brilliant, i didnt expect it at all - and without it, it wouldn't have been half as good as it was. Really want to read the book now

u still on laura? ???

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Juno: low key but engaging. Impressive performance from the lead actress. "Dad" was a brilliant support act, as were the boy friend and best friend. Saw this with my 13 year old (daughter) and 15 year old (son) and they both enjoyed it to. It's not Little Miss Sunshine, but it's worth seeing without doubt.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Must be a girl's friends as I found it over rated and dull and what twist at the end ?.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here