Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Fifth and Final Ashes Test - England v Australia - The Oval

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've got a ticket for Monday :facepalm:

Up until tea, I thought there was a decent chance there.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Haha. Certain lack of interest this morning I see with this thread half way down page 2 :lolol:

Oh well, England all out for 149 and the follow-on has been enforced. England need 333 to make Aus bat again.

larus

England 149 ao. Trail by 332 and being asked to follow on.

Lyth is about to play his last England innings, unless he does something special. Bell, Butler need to step up. Cook is due a big score and is not playing bad IMO. It's not a bad pitch to bat on, so would not be surprised if we play differently, but then again, this is England ....

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I think that's makes him the lowest scoring opening batsmen in ashes series history... Pretty sure they said yesterday that would be the case if he scores 19 or less.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Whoever gets the gig next has to contend with The Pakistan spin attack in The UAE ( where they have never lost) and then the daunting task of facing South Africa in their own back yard.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I've seen ideas about moving Ali there, or bringing in Hales. I think the problem is that there is a lack of good openers in the country game. The jump from facing county medium pacers to international quickies is a big jump. Too many one-dayers no no time to build technique.

Well they cannot pick Hales then surely? They need someone to block Dale Steyn and pee him off.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
He's been given 7 tests and it's quite clear that he hasn't got the ability. I don't like dropping players too quickly, but we need a change. We just don't get a decent platform to build an innings on now.

Lyth scored 96 runs in 8 innings....

Agreed but as Boycott was saying he was by far the best in England last season and everyone was calling for him to be picked. He has failed miserably and as we don't have any decent batsmen coming through and will need to find an Aussie or South African with English grandparents?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Agreed but as Boycott was saying he was by far the best in England last season and everyone was calling for him to be picked. He has failed miserably and as we don't have any decent batsmen coming through and will need to find an Aussie or South African with English grandparents?
KP is up for a comeback.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Tresco got more runs this week! ;)

Ali or Hales can't do any worse than Lyth.

Ali needs to play as a batsman or not at all. It's been an interesting experiment him batting at 8. But Rashid could do that just as competently. It's just a waste.

Hales is gung ho, but at least he might get a few runs on the board. He's relatively young, give him a go.

Jury still out on Buttler. Sublime one-day batsman but has done nothing in the longer form of the game to suggest he will consistently score runs. Suggest giving Bairstow a chance with the gloves.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Off for rain. It has been raining steadily for last 2 hours here in North West Sussex...

England 258-8 (96 overs), trailing by 74

Stuart Broad 10*, Moeen Ali 17*... with just Steven Finn in the hutch.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
1st Test: Eng win on day 4
2nd Test: Aus win on day 4
3rd Test: Eng win on day 3
4th Test: Eng win on day 3

I think those are right? If so, 6 days 'lost'.

Sums up the series for me. Two sub-standard sides not showing much quality at this level. The Aussies have battered us on two decent wickets and we have relied on three specially prepared tracks to win three tests.
The bare facts are that they have the better bowlers on decent wickets and Broad and Anderson look very ordinary when its not doing much. The whole series has been an exhibition of how to play loose cricket. There has been little or no control shown, no effort to curb runs and batsman after batsman playing loose shots.
Its been so poor that players either out of their depth or completely out of form have been able to be carried through the series. Both sides have a lot of work to do before they can say that they are good, well balanced test sides.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Sums up the series for me. Two sub-standard sides not showing much quality at this level. The Aussies have battered us on two decent wickets and we have relied on three specially prepared tracks to win three tests.
The bare facts are that they have the better bowlers on decent wickets and Broad and Anderson look very ordinary when its not doing much. The whole series has been an exhibition of how to play loose cricket. There has been little or no control shown, no effort to curb runs and batsman after batsman playing loose shots.
Its been so poor that players either out of their depth or completely out of form have been able to be carried through the series. Both sides have a lot of work to do before they can say that they are good, well balanced test sides.

Sadly oh so true. I really worried that Boycs would explode on air, with exasperation over the way batsmen of both sides threw their wicket away rather than digging in, a la Tavare/Kenny Barringtons old old.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here