Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FFS Tony Bloom

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
At least we are buying strikers, yes we've been unlucky with them. I would hate to think about the meltdown on here if TB refused to buy one.

We as fans need to be realistic, we are Brighton and Hove Albion, we don't have a history like alot of the teams in the Premier or infact the Championship, on paper the nearest we have ever got to winning a major trophy was the FA cup, we have a smallish fan base compared to many other teams, we are not going to break the bank by buying a Harry Kane or Mo Salah, imo I doubt that we will spend more than £30 million on a striker, if that's what you want go support Man City/United, Liverpool Newcastle. Hopefully as I always say we might get lucky and get a bargain striker who will get 20 goals a season, until then I will be thankful that I can still support my hometown club and be proud of where we are now, compared to the dark days.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Give Tolaj or Ferguson a chance can't do any worse then what we currently have

Realistically I think this is where we are.....Bloom seems to have developed an (understandable?) aversion to spending his money on a class of player where the returns are so uncertain, the risks so great and where once bitten = twice shy.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Correction - in fairness that should read - ".....to spending a large amount of his money, in a single chunk as the market demands, on a class of player ......."

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The one we have really been after recently was surely Darwin Nunez, and he’s doing alright and is being eyed up by Barcelona apparently. I’d say that is a positive reflection on our recruitment team,

The recruitment team are a bit of a victim of their own success.

They are trying to get their hands on ‘top six’ players with a ‘bottom six’ budget. It’s clear we can’t compete with most EPL clubs on salaries but we do have brilliant facilities and opportunities to progress. We have hit the jackpot a few times with players like Lamptey and Bissouma, we just can’t seem to get that elusive goal scorer.

It’s clear we can scout these players but they are just beyond our means each time. This means the club always end up buying potential rather than the finished article. It could be that Ferguson, Zeqiri, Sima or even Connolly end up scoring over tons of EPL goals for us but we’re going to have to wait until one of them is ready.

It could be a very long wait with plenty more results like tonight waiting to piss us off.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Surprising thread from the OP can’t believe Icy is cracking up. Don’t blame Bloom blame Maupay who gets paid obscene amounts of money to score goals. Once or twice is unlucky he is a serial f.ucker upper.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
He has also received over 500 million and publicly said top ten is the aim :shrug:

That doesn’t come cheap

Throughout our promotion push we out performed our budget and similarly we're aiming for top ten through smart transfers, a keen academy and superior coaching.

I really don't think we're going to pay our way to results.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Exactly.

You don’t know.

No one does.

What is a fact of footballing life is that we aren’t scoring any goals. We haven’t a clue that whoever may sign would be successful - so does that mean we shouldn’t try?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But your 'try' is £20m a pop and ALL your examples are less prolific than Maupay.

Zeqiri is worth a try.
Watkins, Adams, Ings and whoever else you mentioned have not proven themselves to be better than what we already have.

Joël Piroe, the first name in the championship leading goal scorers chart, (and the first name likely to be earning less than Maupay) is £20m all day long.
He has scored 1 (one) more goal than Viktor Gyökeres, should Mr Bloom spend £20m on him?

"Worth a try" & 'spend £20m' really don't sit together.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Incorrect.

How is then that when we were plotting our 'win to go top'.
Faux dreaming of a little excursion around Europe.
Spending 90% of our time writing about 'Tony's top 10 demands'.

Nobody not one single poster said:-

'aftuzlly he didn't say that at all'.

Yet now, where the only thing stopping us sliding back to our customary 17th is the woefulness of the teams below, that's all some posters can write?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Surprising thread from the OP can’t believe Icy is cracking up. Don’t blame Bloom blame Maupay who gets paid obscene amounts of money to score goals. Once or twice is unlucky he is a serial f.ucker upper.

It could be seen that way, :smile:

The truth is that I ducked out of going at the last minute for a couple of reasons and at the time I posted I was a little worse for wear as I had the advantage/disadvantage to drink both pre match and during the match.

I posted in frustration and anger just before the FT whistle, I shouldn’t have, There is absolutely no reason to doubt that TB is doing and has done a fantastic job and this post was made as an entitled pissed up dick :smile:

I can’t just post “ignore” 19 pages in, I feel a fool this morning :lolol:

One bad miss apart Maupay didn’t have a bad game at all did he and let’s not forget the “why did you let it bounce”goal

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
But your 'try' is £20m a pop and ALL your examples are less prolific than Maupay.

Zeqiri is worth a try.
Watkins, Adams, Ings and whoever else you mentioned have not proven themselves to be better than what we already have.

Joël Piroe, the first name in the championship leading goal scorers chart, (and the first name likely to be earning less than Maupay) is £20m all day long.
He has scored 1 (one) more goal than Viktor Gyökeres, should Mr Bloom spend £20m on him?

"Worth a try" & 'spend £20m' really don't sit together.

Sorry but that’s just nonsense. Ings is not proven to be better than what we have? Really. Unbelievable comment. It’s also so not about just having one striker but having options when others are injured or out of form. Villa have Ings AND Watkins. Southampton have Adams AND Borja who are scoring.

There are almost no options who could be less effective than Connolly, Locadia and Welbeck who have managed one goal between them.

Why not go and get Eddie Nketiah in January, he knows where the net is and almost literally couldn’t do any worse. If money is the issue then We are allowed to question our spending. Mwepu was millions on a player are arguably didn’t need, money that could have been put towards a position we desperately do.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I posted in frustration and anger just before the FT whistle, I shouldn’t have,

I don't know about that, and responses on this thread don't indicate that you shouldn't have. Nothing wrong with showing anger and frustration. GP too was angry after the match as were all of us. It was just that kind of match.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why not go and get Eddie Nketiah in January, he knows where the net is and almost literally couldn’t do any worse. If money is the issue then We are allowed to question our spending. Mwepu was millions on a player are arguably didn’t need, money that could have been put towards a position we desperately do.

Is he any better than what we have ?

That is the first problem - the other I bet is Locadia and his wages. We need to shift him somehow as I bet that’s a decent 40k/week draining out of the club

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Villa have Ings AND Watkins
They have scored six goals between them this season for £58 million, plus an estimated £150k per week in wages. They also spent £22m on Wesley who managed five goals in 24 games before being sent to Belgium on loan.

Why not go and get Eddie Nketiah in January

Four Premier League goals and one in the FA Cup against lower League opponents in 38 games.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Is he any better than what we have ?

That is the first problem - the other I bet is Locadia and his wages. We need to shift him somehow as I bet that’s a decent 40k/week draining out of the club

Is Eddie Nketiah better than Jurgen Locadia? Are you being serious??!

Nobody is buying or taking Locadia, we tried to offload him to an average team in the MLS and it didn't work out, he scored two goals and no assists in 26 games! When I saw clips of him missing sitters for Cincinnati I never in my worst nightmare imagined that he would be back at the club as our back up striker! But here we are, and according to some on here theres no striker crisis!!!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There was a £30m striker on the pitch yesterday - Rodrigo .
PL Goals this season - 0.
Goals last season - 7.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry but that’s just nonsense. Ings is not proven to be better than what we have? Really. Unbelievable comment. It’s also so not about just having one striker but having options when others are injured or out of form. Villa have Ings AND Watkins. Southampton have Adams AND Borja who are scoring.

There are almost no options who could be less effective than Connolly, Locadia and Welbeck who have managed one goal between them.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree about the options, the complete lack of options is, and always has been, the problem.
All the time the club inexplicably can't create its own strikers, it's always been light.

The point I keep raising is the club can't just "give another Championship striker a try", as it was rather glibly put.
These players are expensive and no improvement on who we have.

So in the absence of 'home grown talent', it either has to trust the recruitment team and blow all our tiny minds with THE signing.
Or for the same money as one championship striker hoover up 8 more Zeqiri's in the hope one for them makes it.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
There was a £30m striker on the pitch yesterday - Rodrigo .
PL Goals this season - 0.
Goals last season - 7.

We all know the hit and miss nature of signing strikers at this level but ‘do nothing’ is not an option if the club genuinely wants to push on.

Personally I feel another striking option is an absolute must if anything to give us another credible option to our only recognised striker (given we all know Wellbeck is going to be in and out with injuries)

It is also worrying how few goals we get from other areas of the field we have invested in. The only person in the whole squad I would back to score given a chance is Trossard and that is just not enough.

The Albion have a fantastic record with recruitment right up until the part of the game that wins matches. I am sure we are trying but it remains our Achilles heel and until addressed we will not push on which is a shame as it feels like we are within touching distance of something truly special.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The players u mentioned, how many of them have scored more than Maupay? If we had got any of them we would still be having the same argument.

Wrong question. The right question is how many have scored more than Connolly and Locadia combined. To which I believe the answer is “all of them”.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here