Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFS Barnes!!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not sure we even tried, rumour has it we offered him way less than other first teamers, hence the "need to feel wanted" comments when he left. He wasn't referring to the retards who gave him stick from the stands was he?

The same first teamers we also released (Orlandi, Koosh etc) no doubt. I'd love to have kept him but once Burnley who were flying came knocking we would never have competed

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I remember a game where we had a penalty and people audibly GROANED when Barnes stepped up to take it. That's a PEN for OUR football club.

Well, we look clever now. Good on him.

The bloke played out of position CONSTANTLY with absolute NONSENSE spouted about his "lack of goals".....totally ignoring the shift he put in, the distance he covered, th corners he headed away etc etc.

Would love to see him back one day. For any nostalgic reason? No, not really. PURELY because he was very good.

Was against Blackburn. I was sat with a Blackburn supporting mate in WSU and he still mentions that incident. He couldn't believe it

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I did have a chuckle at the 'previous highlights' footage v Reading, on Boxing Day.

Barnes missed a header that was easier to score.

NSC's reaction + subsequent Premier League goals = mild amusement.

For the record I was probably the only person in Team Meh when it came to Barnes.
Until he 'kicked' the ref and got his long ban when we had no other fit strikers.
From that point I went down what would appear to be the wrong side of history.

He didn't kick the ref though.

And Ulloa was fit (or at least fit enough to play every minute of every game).

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
You wait, JFC could end up playing in The Premiership within the next couple of years and we'll be saying the same thing again.
Be careful what you wish for armchair fans & haters...

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
A?
I can assure you it's not about someone returning that's for sure...The obsession on here every time an ex players scores is embarrasing and predictable.

Personally speaking the shouts for Zamora, Murray and Frank Worthington will NOT come from me. Barnes however was hounded out and sensibly took a better deal when it was offered. We messed up there.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
A?
I can assure you it's not about someone returning that's for sure...The obsession on here every time an ex players scores is embarrasing and predictable.

The point with Barnes is there was a sizeable proportion of people on here who constantly slagged him off, claiming he wasn't good enough for us. Seems he's proving them wrong. Good on Ashley.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I'd love to have another quiet chat with the dickhead who used to slag him off for 90 minutes in H Block but the JCL tosser never renewed. I think a lot of the people that slated the likes of Barnes were the JCL's, only interested in short term gratification rather than the long term good of the club.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Personally speaking the shouts for Zamora, Murray and Frank Worthington will NOT come from me. Barnes however was hounded out and sensibly took a better deal when it was offered. We messed up there.
Why have we messed up?
Our style of football is disasterous for strikers and to be fair only the really really good strikers like Ulloa will score for us.Until our footballing boring philosophy changes we'll continue to to fire blanks.
Yes barnes isn't the only striker to go this way as the conveyer belt is endless...So we'll just have to go along with strikers being shite and they don't fit into our system whatever that is.

I never rated barnes and still don't even though he's scored a few prem goals :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here