[Football] Favourite Sussex club apart from the Albion?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which is your favourite Sussex club apart from The Albion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
If the Albion are at home l can be found in my seat in the Lower West Stand.

Any other Saturday, (& midweek wherever possible), l will be manning the gate at Gorings Mead for Horsham YMCA games, or travelling to watch them away.
And great customer service as well, even listened to me waffle on about non league for 20 minutes.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
My favourite non Albion Sussex club is my home village's team, Ringmer. Great times in the 70s when they won the Sussex County League, Senior Cup and reached 1st round of the FA Cup.

Fell on hard times, lots of complicated financial issues and 'politics' but still going if further down the pyramid (I know technically it's a different club now but wtf). Shame they had to move out of the Caburn Ground, it put the club right at the heart of the village.

Also like Lewes, for the approach the club takes, community vibe and the refreshments!!

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Before I went to pretty much every Brighton away game, I used to watch Whitehawk if they were playing, so them I suppose they are the one I do will on to win and celebrate their goals when I watch them. My nearest side is Mile Oak, who always play on a Wednesday Midweek for some reason, so they are the team I support in the SCFL, my mate plays Right back for them as well. Lewes is my favourite ground in the country so I am partial to a trip to the Pan, and the parmesan fries. Newhaven are very entertaining and I know the left back from Brighton away games, so I usually cheer them on. I do generally gravitate to Sussex teams if I’m watching as neutral (except Crawley) so I don’t mind them all.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Brighton's women's team

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I watched Worthing, home and away, quite a bit in the Barry Lloyd era, but apart from the Albion my main Sussex love is my home town, dear old Lancing. Ok, 'love' is a bit strong, 'very mild interest' probably sums it up better.

Since the demise of the Sussex County League I have no clue what league they're in, or how they're doing but I can guess: badly. Surely they haven't changed much in the thirty years since I last went to Culver Road? I'd almost be upset now if I found they were top of whatever division they were in when I had to watch them when they were utter toilet.

I did see them mentioned in the non-league thread where someone said they'd seen them play Whitehawk, probably in a Cup game. They lost (obviously) and played badly (obviously) so some things never change.

Up the Lancers!

EDIT: Blimey. Since posting that I googled them. They apparently ARE in the same league/division as Whitehawk which I couldn't believe. I thought Whitehawk were some uber non-league club with marvellous fans pushing for the big time? 'Brighton City' and all that. Some quite big teams in that league too. A long way from playing the likes of Wigmore in Sussex County League Division 2. And also I see my old mate Martin Gander is the manager!

Last edited:

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I watched Worthing, home and away, quite a bit in the Barry Lloyd era, but apart from the Albion my main Sussex love is my home town, dear old Lancing. Ok, 'love' is a bit strong, 'very mild interest' probably sums it up better.

Since the demise of the Sussex County League I have no clue what league they're in, or how they're doing but I can guess: badly. Surely they haven't changed much in the thirty years since I last went to Culver Road? I'd almost be upset now if I found they were top of whatever division they were in when I had to watch them when they were utter toilet.

I did see them mentioned in the non-league thread where someone said they'd seen them play Whitehawk, probably in a Cup game. They lost (obviously) and played badly (obviously) so some things never change.

Up the Lancers!

EDIT: Blimey. Since posting that I googled them. They apparently ARE in the same league/division as Whitehawk which I couldn't believe. I thought Whitehawk were some uber non-league club with marvellous fans pushing for the big time? 'Brighton City' and all that. Some quite big teams in that league too. A long way from playing the likes of Wigmore in Sussex County League Division 2. And also I see my old mate Martin Gander is the manager!
The money ran out at Whitehawk and they dropped through 2 divisions, much better level for them atm, much more stable. I thought Lancing were managed by Dean Cox?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The money ran out at Whitehawk and they dropped through 2 divisions, much better level for them atm, much more stable. I thought Lancing were managed by Dean Cox?
Actually I do seem to remember that being announced, I think there was even a thread on here. However when I googled 'Lancing FC' it said 'Manager: Martin Gander'. Could be out of date obviously, I haven't researched it any further.

EDIT: Yeah that NSC thread was only December last year (2022). Surely we'd have heard if he'd left that quickly? Even by the modern standards of manager 'churn' that's a bit quick.

Last edited:

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Chailey, when I played for them, but apparently they have been disbanded due to violence, obv. after I left!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Actually I do seem to remember that being announced, I think there was even a thread on here. However when I googled 'Lancing FC' it said 'Manager: Martin Gander'. Could be out of date obviously, I haven't researched it any further.

EDIT: Yeah that NSC thread was only December last year (2022). Surely we'd have heard if he'd left that quickly? Even by the modern standards of manager 'churn' that's a bit quick.
I was told the other day that he’d already been offered another job further up the pyramid (can’t remember who), but turned it down to stay at Lancing.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

That was a while ago, they've been relegated 3 times since then. Basically Whitehawk were chucking money around on players until one of the directors got sent to prison and the club lost 40% of their funding (that he had provided). They've sunk back down to their level now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Am I a heathen if I say I don’t have one? It’s all about the Albion but then I am Nottingham born and bred

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Steyning Town. I watch a fair number of games - including U23s and women's team. The club has around 25 teams and c 500 registered players (of all ages) it's a real centre for the game in the area.

If the Albion get bought out by some sportswashing middle east autocracy then my mate and mine have identified Lewes as our potential club of choice. Good selection of pubs.

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Arundel FC

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Worthing for me. Despite living in Brighton still more convenient to get to than Whitehawk! Friends of mine have moved out that way and other mates used to pop along so I gave them a go a few years back and was very impressed with the quality of football they played. Hinsh has done a great job there, despite the heavy turnover of players he has produced consistently good quality teams. The atmosphere there is very good and the set up at woodside is excellent. I can highly recommend them.

I keep an eye out for Whitehawk results and have enjoyed watching games at Lewes, Burgess Hill, Hassocks, Shoreham and Saltdean. We are lucky to have such a vibrant non-league scene here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports