Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite beer and why?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I really like Doom Bar but recently I have found it hit and miss.
I was recently working in a pub in Cornwall and had this conversation with the landlord he told me that it is now so popular and sold uk wide that a lot of the barrels are stored outside at the small Rock brewery and it can affect the taste.
So my number one is Jail Ale brewed by the small Dartmoor Brewery it is really popular down here and for me its bang on.

Funny you should mention Doom Bar, l used to be very fond of it too, but agree that by and large it isn't nearly as consistently good as it once was.

I often spend time at a friend's holiday cottage in Cornwall, and l noticed on my last visit that several local pubs had stopped serving Doom Bar on draught. I wonder why?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Funny you should mention Doom Bar, l used to be very fond of it too, but agree that by and large it isn't nearly as consistently good as it once was.

I often spend time at a friend's holiday cottage in Cornwall, and l noticed on my last visit that several local pubs had stopped serving Doom Bar on draught. I wonder why?
Possibly because St Austell are taking over down that way like Greene King are for the rest of the country. At least their beer is nicer though.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Nicer than Sharpe's?, St.Austell? . . . as you said in an earlier post, each to their own!

No, I meant nicer than Greene King :)

I don't like Doom Bar myself, but only because it tastes slightly liquoricey, and I can't stand liquorice. Otherwise I imagine I'd really like it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We've got some Tomos Watkin OSB in the pub at the moment, seems to be going down well.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Possibly because St Austell are taking over down that way like Greene King are for the rest of the country. At least their beer is nicer though.

I have never seen an ale and a brewery become so popular so quickly as Dartmoor and Jail Ale it is really taking over down here and rightly so it is spot on in my opinion.
Sharps and St Austell are very big and probably not bothered though.
I love St Austell Tribute it is the most refreshing ale I have ever tasted almost like cider but it is so strong of tropical fruits that I can only drink one or two, perfect after a long walk and then pop in the village pub but no good for a night out on the town.
All my opinion only of course.
BTW I once got a couple of bottles of Sussex Ale from M&S it had an M&S label but was brewed by Hepworths Horsham it was very very nice.
If you ever see Jail Ale give it a try and see what you think.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Loved Lewes Castle Brown Ale when it was on as a guest in my local. In the summer ill plump with a Harveys best although as soon as it turns colder I personally cant beat Harveys Old.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
No, I meant nicer than Greene King :)

I don't like Doom Bar myself, but only because it tastes slightly liquoricey, and I can't stand liquorice. Otherwise I imagine I'd really like it.

Ah, with you! lol. Licquoricey? do you really think so?, funny l don't much care for licquorice either. I probably would like licquorice, if it tasted a little less like ... licquorice.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yep, I don't think they could taste more different.

Harveys Best - bitter, musty slight caramelly. Slight odour of sewage if the barrel is more than a couple of days old.
Hophead - strong citrussy, slightly creamy.

But then I'm a supertaster, which is probably why I find Hophead (and most beers made with American hops) too much.

Fair enough. Personally I like the bigger tasting well-hoped beers. On the subject of St Austell they make Proper Job which is a fine ale.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I really don't know what to drink these days when I get to the pub. I've been a lager lout for years, but now I'm just finding it a bit gassy. I've tried real ale's, sorry don't enjoy them. Tried Guiness time & again hoping to enjoy it, but can't stand the stuff. Last time home I was finding myself having a cider more often than not. Weird.
I'd love to have a favourite beer but haven't a clue.

You're not alone mate, my tastebuds clearly dont agree with the taste of most beers, most real ale to me tastes like week old plss strained through a street drinkers sock! Don't mind a bottle or two of Theakstons Old Peculiar but i prefer it ice cold or on draught. Went on a motorcycle trip to Normandy just before D-day this year and got absolutely battered on Leffe Blonde and the odd Leffe 9 which is not a drink to be consumed in large quantities I realise now!!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It's delicious. My wife's from Okehampton so I've had it down there a few times. I've seen it in Sussex recently too, think it was the Queen Vic in Rottingdean.

If your lady wife is a Devon girl, you have west country connections Notters. What do you think of Skinner's Betty Stogs?, an increasingly popular Cornish ale.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
If your lady wife is a Devon girl, you have west country connections Notters. What do you think of Skinner's Betty Stogs?, an increasingly popular Cornish ale.

A friend introduced me to it at this year's Sussex Beer festival. Incredible stuff! Not seen it anywhere else though sadly.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I liked King Barns Sussex Ale until the brewery was sold an asset striped I switched to Harvey's but I also liked Doombar before that was sold. Now again I will try different beers from many of our small Sussex micro breweries even my local off licence Grape Grain are now brewing its own beers. Real ales are making a great comeback in Sussex until they grow to big and are bought and ruined by the big boys.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Any of you lot been down to deepest Kernow & tried "Spingo" in Helston, at the Anchor?
As a young trainee matelot down that way I had to down a pint in one. Put me off it for life!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
These are all on my list but in a different order

1. Darkstar APA
2. Harvey's
3. Darkstar Hophead
4. Longman APA

Ok, the odd one out is Harvey's as all the others are beers ?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I liked King Barns Sussex Ale until the brewery was sold an asset striped I switched to Harvey's but I also liked Doombar before that was sold. Now again I will try different beers from many of our small Sussex micro breweries even my local off licence Grape Grain are now brewing its own beers. Real ales are making a great comeback in Sussex until they grow to big and are bought and ruined by the big boys.

Agreed, that has happened to me several times over the years. I find a local beer that l really like, and then hey-ho, the brewery is sold to a big conglomerate, and the quality of the beer takes a nose dive.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
HPA - Herefordshire pale Ale, from the Wye Valley Brewery - On my son-in law's stag-do 5 years ago (an activity weekend) we discovered a pub in the local village and spent all evening drinking this. Slipped down a treat.
Staropramen - I like lager, European rather than American or Australian, and this is just the best for taste as far as I am concerned, especially on draught.
London Pride - boring, perhaps, but I really like it. Good straightforward stuff.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A friend introduced me to it at this year's Sussex Beer festival. Incredible stuff! Not seen it anywhere else though sadly.

I have had Betty Stogs a couple of times in Brighton on draught, I think It was in The Druids at least once and I'm pretty sure I saw it in The London Unity too. It's not the best Skinners beer though.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Harvey's best bitter.
Longman do some sensational beers, best bitter, American Pale Ale, copper head etc, Darkstar Partridge Best Bitter,Hophead, was not moved by their Revelation, and Apa.
living in the west of the county Longman's is about as easy to find as rocking horse shit, wheather they think that Hammerpot, Arundel, Hepworth and the alike brewery's dominate so don't bother I don't know, but if anyone knows the sale team...........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here