Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite beer and why?

theboybilly

I really like Doom Bar but recently I have found it hit and miss.
I was recently working in a pub in Cornwall and had this conversation with the landlord he told me that it is now so popular and sold uk wide that a lot of the barrels are stored outside at the small Rock brewery and it can affect the taste.
So my number one is Jail Ale brewed by the small Dartmoor Brewery it is really popular down here and for me its bang on.

Rock Brewery's Cornish Coaster is pretty decent (and cheap in the Buckingham Arms). I agree that Jail Ale is indeed a lovely pint

Harveys (any)
Bathams (luvverly Black Country Brew) - tastes best from the bar at Bridgnorth Station on the Severn Valley Railway on a summers evening overlooking the steam locos resting in the loco shed opposite.
Deuchars IPA - tastes best at the Starrbank, Newhaven. That is the one in the suburbs of Edinburgh overlooking the Firth of Forth.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
1 Any Bavarian Wheat Beer
2 Hophead
3 Hobgoblin

Used to like King & Barnes JK Stout when the Brewery existed.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Very difficult to whittle it down to three beers and why but...

Cotleigh Old Buzzard, While on a fishing holiday, gravity fed from a cask and absolutely gorgeous ruby strong

Hick's Special Draught from the St. Austell Brewery, another fishing holiday, another series of happy struggles back to the rented cottage.

King and Barnes Festive, draught. Classic head spinning bitter, hoppy yet syrupy heaven.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
1. Hophead
2. Brooklyn Lager
3. Timothy Taylor Landlord

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Guinness... Its a good drunk feeling.
Very tough because you'd have to leave out some great beers but here goes 1. Boddingtons draught [NOT CANNED!!] 2. Harveys Old [Robinsons Old Tom if I wanted the same effect speeded up] 3. Robinsons or Timothy Taylor [Stewards Enquiry]

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I really don't know what to drink these days when I get to the pub. I've been a lager lout for years, but now I'm just finding it a bit gassy. I've tried real ale's, sorry don't enjoy them. Tried Guiness time & again hoping to enjoy it, but can't stand the stuff. Last time home I was finding myself having a cider more often than not. Weird.
I'd love to have a favourite beer but haven't a clue.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I really don't know what to drink these days when I get to the pub. I've been a lager lout for years, but now I'm just finding it a bit gassy. I've tried real ale's, sorry don't enjoy them. Tried Guiness time & again hoping to enjoy it, but can't stand the stuff. Last time home I was finding myself having a cider more often than not. Weird.
I'd love to have a favourite beer but haven't a clue.
Thumbs down from me! I did not enjoy doing that to you much. 'sorry' is not good enough. I suspect you are an illegal immigrant if you don't like real ale. That's exactly how we caught the German spies in the War.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Thumbs down from me! I did not enjoy doing that to you much. 'sorry' is not good enough. I suspect you are an illegal immigrant if you don't like real ale. That's exactly how we caught the German spies in the War.

Trust me, I wish I did enjoy a fine flaggon of foaming ale. Does London Pride count? I remember I had a bottle out of the fridge once, (it was meant for a mate), it was quite nice. Then I had a pint in the pub, didn't like it! WTF is wrong with me?

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Trust me, I wish I did enjoy a fine flaggon of foaming ale. Does London Pride count? I remember I had a bottle out of the fridge once, (it was meant for a mate), it was quite nice. Then I had a pint in the pub, didn't like it! WTF is wrong with me?
If you had said you had a bottle of LP that had NOT been in the fridge and not mentioned that you did not like the pint you had in the pub you might have got away with it. I suggest you take the first available flight out of the country back to Germany before I spill the beans!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
must say im pleasently surprised by the votes for Harvey's Old. very partial to that and the Old style in general, but there's not alot of it about an nothing i've found bottled up to much.

my favorite has to be Erdinger, because its the best damn beer. joint second: harvey's old and Darkstar original (or Partridge), Schlenkerla (if you have tried it, find it).

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Dark Star Hophead is my number one by a long way. APA from Dark Star & Long Man are 2&3. In the winter Harvey's Old Ale & Long Man Old Man are great too.

These are all on my list but in a different order

1. Darkstar APA
2. Harvey's
3. Darkstar Hophead
4. Longman APA

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
VB Victoria Bitter......great memories........crate of that inside you and you can take on the world!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
These are all on my list but in a different order

1. Darkstar APA
2. Harvey's
3. Darkstar Hophead
4. Longman APA
Very curious having Harvey in amongst those others as they're such different styles. Can't stand the American hop varieties myself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here