Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fancy Dress - Is this idea in bad taste??

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Fancy Dress - Is this idea in bad taste??

Easy 10 said:
I daresay most people would have a few awkward questions to answer if they turned up at their workplace wearing a dirty mac and a 'Tiny Tears' strapped to their groin.

There lies a challenge.

Bad taste? Certainly.

But quite probably, this stunt would be self-regulating. Once he's dealt with the grief he'd get, he can return to the party, nicely bandaged up as a ... Patient.

???

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Too true Lord

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
is this in bad taste?

Yes, extremely bad taste.
I wouldn't blame any parents present for lamping him one.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I would fear it might be one of those things that seemed funny at the time, but would be a little problematic in trying to explain what you're meant to be ... probably not a good idea

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hmmm... the letter 'P' you say... ???

Just turn up at the door wearing nothing but a pair of Y-fronts. The ensuing conversation will go something like this:

Chappers: 'Hi, I'm here for the party'
Host: 'Sorry mate, it's fancy dress only, themed on the letter 'P'
Chappers: 'Yeah, sure, what's the problem? I AM in fancy dress'
Host: 'What are you supposed to be then?'
Chappers: 'I'm Premature Ejaculator innit'
Host: 'You WHAT? How do you work that one out then?'
Chappers: 'I've just come in me pants'

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Tom Hark said:
Hmmm... the letter 'P' you say... ???

Just turn up at the door wearing nothing but a pair of Y-fronts. The ensuing conversation will go something like this:

Chappers: 'Hi, I'm here for the party'
Host: 'Sorry mate, it's fancy dress only, themed on the letter 'P'
Chappers: 'Yeah, sure, what's the problem? I AM in fancy dress'
Host: 'What are you supposed to be then?'
Chappers: 'I'm Premature Ejaculator innit'
Host: 'You WHAT? How do you work that one out then?'
Chappers: 'I've just come in me pants'

hahaha massive lol mate :clap2: :lolol:

Jul 5, 2003
BN11
Re: Re: Re: Fancy Dress - Is this idea in bad taste??

ChapmansThe Saviour said:
People laughed at the Brass Eye that was about Paedophilia didn't they?

Hmmmm-not sure that Chris Morris set out to convince people that paedophilia is funny. Wasn't the object of the programme to satirise the media's hysterical approach to paedophilia. If your mate thinks he can pull off the satire with the right level of irony then good luck to him. Otherwise I'd leave well alone.

JEM

Jul 5, 2003
Bevendean
Re: Re: Re: Re: Fancy Dress - Is this idea in bad taste??

Dropkick Turnip said:
Hmmmm-not sure that Chris Morris set out to convince people that paedophilia is funny. Wasn't the object of the programme to satirise the media's hysterical approach to paedophilia.

Absolutely right DT.

The programme WAS bloody funny though.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fancy Dress - Is this idea in bad taste??

JEM said:
Absolutely right DT.

The programme WAS bloody funny though.

Some of it was a bit queasy. But bits were spot on.

Liked the paedophile confronted with all the different names for him ("Crazy World of Arthur Brown" - ???), and blustering: "It's just another kind of racism". . .

Suspect, though, in these circumstances - well, one Chris Morris, there's only one Chris Morris. . .
Much safer and easier, nsurely, to just wear an eyepatch, get a toy parrot, and be a pirate.
Rather than just walking the / being a plank.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
i once got an email of various fancy dress costumes. there was a fanny, a man shagging a sheep, and one was of a guy dressed as a priest with a dummy of a young boy strapped to his front.

i thought it was very funny. am i sick?

As with all these matters of taboo humour, CONTEXT is everything. If virtually everyone at the party knows your mate and are familar with and accepting of his sense of humour, there will be little problem. If, as is more probable, that isn't the case, then it's a bad idea.

Fascinating subject, though. If you consider all the finest American television of the past 5 years have all been about trangressing accepted boundaries of taste and manners/political correctness, eg. South Park's "I've never seen a Jew run that fast since Poland, 1938".

British TV is a bit behind this but of course you have Chris Morris and now, among others, Little Britain with all its stuff about disability and Monkey Dust's beginners guide to cottaging.

The only thing that's in bad taste is people's hysterical reaction.

S'pose it depends on whether you see him as making light of a very serious subject, or as merely being topical seeing as these days you can't open a daily paper anywhere without reading about some kind of kiddy-fiddling story.

Personally I think it would be far more offensive/effective if the bloke had a real child attached to his waist.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Safeway said:
The only thing that's in bad taste is people's hysterical reaction.

S'pose it depends on whether you see him as making light of a very serious subject, or as merely being topical seeing as these days you can't open a daily paper anywhere without reading about some kind of kiddy-fiddling story.

Personally I think it would be far more offensive/effective if the bloke had a real child attached to his waist.

More bad taste from the man with very bad taste but 'tragically' it did make me laugh :lolol: :lolol:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Having seen the effects of a paedophile who is currently coming to the end of a pathetic sentence of three years residence at Lewes prison, any parents at that party will hopefully send him home again, in an ambulance not a taxi.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here