Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Famous Brighton Fans

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Apart from Comedy Steve and Rik Mayall. That's it!!

Actually I'm putting together a list of 'what comics support what teams' and it's fairly evenly distributed.

Not many funny people who lean towards Albion, I'm afraid; though when comedians come to Brighton for the weekend I do drag them along to home games. I'll convert a few soon, promise.

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
The bloke off crimewatch is a Brighton fan and someone that was in starwars and played the prison warden in that crap vinny jones football/prison film is also a regular at the Albion

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
His name is Ray Brooks, was the voice behind Mr Benn, and was in at least one Carry On film, and also Cathy Come Home amongst others.

He really is a top bloke!:bowdown:

I've been told that I sound just like him.

So...can someone confirm Rik Mayall please? I'd love that to be true.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
This bloke...

di_burnside_chris_ellison.jpg

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I can cite Johnny Saunders (sports person on Radio 2 Chris Evans show in the morning), Mark Williams (Comic Actor from the Fast Show and other stuff, actually a WBA fan but allegedly watches the Albion), a chap who used to be in the Bill and Ralph Brown (another actor, various stuff and a Green Party activist according to Wikipedia.

PEDANT ALERT

Williams is an Aston Villa fan.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Isn't Harry Enfield a Brighton fan?

From afar.

Some of these mentioned fall into the 'Norman Wisdom' category of people who support us but also have a 'first' team. Mark Williams is I believe a Villa fan at heart, and that bloke from The Bill who played Inspector Burnside is a Chelsea fan.

WAS a Chelsea fan. Gave up on them and supports Brighton. He said as much on Soccer AM.

Mar 2, 2009
First time poster but I had to respond to Harry Enfield being an Albion fan.
I grew up 'next door' to Harry though we were the scruffy farm kids from over the road and went to the Weald School the local comprehensive in Billingshurst while Harry went to prep school.
He never exhibited much interest in football but would always ask about the Albion as we became more successful in the mid seventies. He asked to go with us on several occaisions but it never materialised. Over the years had a few beers with him in The Blue Ship and bumped into him a few times living in London but not unsurprisingly lost contact over the years.
I am sure that he stil retains an interest though form afar

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I always presumed him to be a Gooner. However, I met him at a party last year, and though I didn't ask him, I asked his son, who said he 'supports Brighton'. I don't think that's quite the same as being a Brighton fan, as such, but it seems that, when pushed, Brighton is his favoured team.

There is another link - his sister lives in Brighton.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Totally wrong about Jamie Theakston. I saw him once at a party and he spoke to me for some time about Sussex and the Albion - much to the annoyance of people who wanted to talk luvvie with him. He seemed far happier talking about sport than making other small talk. And he was very well-informed about the Albion.

i knew him many years ago and was very keen proper sportsman and fan.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Mark Pougatch [sp]

Not sure if he considers himself a fan, but I read an interview with him, and he answered the question 'What is your earliest sporting memory?', with "Being taken to the Goldstone by my Dad".

First time poster but I had to respond to Harry Enfield being an Albion fan.
I grew up 'next door' to Harry though we were the scruffy farm kids from over the road and went to the Weald School the local comprehensive in Billingshurst while Harry went to prep school.
He never exhibited much interest in football but would always ask about the Albion as we became more successful in the mid seventies. He asked to go with us on several occaisions but it never materialised. Over the years had a few beers with him in The Blue Ship and bumped into him a few times living in London but not unsurprisingly lost contact over the years.
I am sure that he stil retains an interest though form afar

Oh the Blue Ship - this jewel remains the same despite the demise of K&B.
The real "Tim Nice but Dim" still occasionally drinks in the Mucky Duck at Tismans Common btw.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
Actually I'm putting together a list of 'what comics support what teams' and it's fairly evenly distributed.

Not many funny people who lean towards Albion, I'm afraid; though when comedians come to Brighton for the weekend I do drag them along to home games. I'll convert a few soon, promise.

Funny that lots of comedians support Palace - quite appropriate really!:thumbsup:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Dave Benson Phillips is an Albion fan.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
ha ha Burnside from the Bill.
His son went to one of my old schools, Burnside and his wife turned up for the school swimming gala but his son got disqualified before the start of a race for wearing non-regulation long purple shorts and Burnside got up and stormed out in a right old huff!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
ha ha Burnside from the Bill.
His son went to one of my old schools, Burnside and his wife turned up for the school swimming gala but his son got disqualified before the start of a race for wearing non-regulation long purple shorts and Burnside got up and stormed out in a right old huff!

Has he not worked since he left the Bill about 20 years ago? Whenever I hear his name it's connected with a job he had decades ago :lolol:

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Has he not worked since he left the Bill about 20 years ago? Whenever I hear his name it's connected with a job he had decades ago :lolol:

No, according to Wikipedia he is also "currently the face and voice of Sussex-based MOT company Just MOT's" and he was in Eastenders for 4 days in 2007.

The work has obviously been pouring in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here