Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer - Why?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Falmer - Why?

ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Or maybe he just doesn't know.

Why do you think that suporters of other clubs really care that much about us. Yes, the Albion are the be all and end all in terms of supporting a club to us but they are not to others.

He's just come on here asking an very good question about the severity of the situation.

You beat me to it...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We need support from all quarters on this, so telling Palace fans to piss off is really not helpful, particularly as this one asked a legitimate question, and he has already offered Lush and myself his assistance tomorrow for our little Selhurst adventure.

I think it's a perfectly reasonable question to ask- loads of clubs are building new grounds without it being life or death, so why should we be any different to the uninformed?

The reason we are screwed without Falmer, for any other fans that might be interested, is that the losses we sustain playing at Withdean are insurmountable. Park & Ride, leasing the ground, litter patrols, security etc, other clubs make money out of home games, whereas Withdean COSTS us something like £30k - £40k per game. In the short term, we can just about sustain this degree of loss as there is the prospect of increased revenue in future from a new ground- advertising, ticket sales, merchandising, catering, sponsorship, hospitality etc.

But if we don't get Falmer, there is no long term prospect of making any money, and the losses we make at Withdean will eventually be too much for the likes of Dick Knight and Norman COok's pockets to maintain. No business can sustain long term losses like we're incurring, so the bank manager will eventually say enough is enough. And the club will die.

Thanks Gosling, Royal Ali and every other non Brighton fan who's showed an interest, signed a petition, written letters and so on, we need your support, and the intelligent majority of us really are grateful for it. And we'll show you when we paste you at Falmer in 5 years time!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Okay, so the narrow minded (and somethines alleged) BHA fans have had a dig at what is a perfectly good question from a Palace fan. Clearly the bloke really doesn't know the issues, understandably he's more concerned about what goes on at Selhurst.

Anyway, this highlights just how important tomorrow is with regard to informing other fans of our plight.

GET TO A GAME TOMORROW !

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think the expalnation is too complicated for neutrals, south Londoners, non-football fans that catch a snippet on television (as I keep on getting asked what is going on about Falmer)? Don't you?

Very simply:

Albion are on borrowed time in a temporary ground at Withdean, which for safety, operational, economic and planning grounds has only got a short life span (three years, five years absolutely maximum)

There are no other sites available within Brighton & Hove. None allocated, none suitable, because all sites need good transport links. Waterhall has been ruled out on political, environmental and transport grounds.

Then a question, I have never been asked?

Why did you sell the Goldstone?

This was the disgusting business fo asset stripping. This does not only happen with football clubs: it can happen where you work. Crooks move in buy up a working firm cheap, put people out of work, and sell the land as slum housing to Londoners. (It happened at Watercraft on Shoreham beach. The firm does not have be losing money, it is just the policy of high density housing and encouraging new retail parks encourages such rip-off behaviour.)

Gosling

Mar 4, 2004
South London
The Wookiee said:
Is this bloke taking the PISS:angry:

Not at all. Your situation is very serious and so am I.

I could easily take the piss if I wanted to, look! 5-0! But I registered on this site to show my support for a remarkable campaign by genuine football fans.

Gosling

Mar 4, 2004
South London
And thank you, Edna and Lush. I was unaware of the financial losses involved with staying at the Withdean.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Re: Re: Re: Falmer - Why?

Bwian said:
When are people like you ever going to realise that to other clubs' fans, the trials and tribulations of BHAFC does not occupy their minds every day as it does for us at the moment? We are just another team in the list of football results-no matter how much campaigning we do. The fact that we have to be out around the country tomorrow telling football fans exactly why we need their help illustrates that point perfectly. They don't know about us!

Are you aware of all things going on at CPFC? If you had a genuine, sincere question about them you'd go somewhere where their fans go and ask them wouldn't you?

One of their fans asked some reasonable questions about us, wasn't taking the piss yet three of you turn on him!!! Unbelievable.

Get this into your heads-BHAFC is unimportant to other teams' supporters. We need their support more than they need us. If some of them come on here seeking information the best way to get their support is to abuse them-NOT!:dunce:

I was not abusing him, I was merely asking a question myself. Is he taking the piss?

The reply he made suggests he is not and is genuinely interested.
So that answers my question.
I certainly was not abusing him.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am with Bwian on this one.

Talking to Town fans, quite honestly, they do not see Brighton's plight as something they are going to lose sleep over.

One guy said to me."......If you look around the league at the clubs about to go under, Bradford, York etc etc, Brighton does not compare. You have a ground ( allbeit crap), you are financially secure and yes it would be nice for away fans to have a good view in a decent stadium, but so what, its only 90 minutes for us...."

Yes its nice to get support from other teams ( but they tend to be supporters associations) but again on Tuesday vs Brentford, the chants of "going down" came forth when Brentford fans have been very supportive. I hate to say it but Brighton fans are perceived as arrogant...."we'll never play you again " ring any bells?

dave

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
dave the gaffer said:

Yes its nice to get support from other teams ( but they tend to be supporters associations) but again on Tuesday vs Brentford, the chants of "going down" came forth when Brentford fans have been very supportive. I hate to say it but Brighton fans are perceived as arrogant...."we'll never play you again " ring any bells?

It's all banter for f*** sake. I hate this argument, did anyone really believe when they were singing that song that we would never play the teams again?

Thought not.

The 'going down' chants are heard at every ground, every week as it as much a part of the game as the ball is. Without football banter and rivalry the game would be nothing and you would probably not be fighting for anything in the first place. It makes it interesting to us and that is what we don't want to lose.

Rivalry breeds camaraderie and that is what makes us go to watch the club every week and that is what we want to save.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
There is banter and banter mate

I was only relating what I had been told.

As we are such a loved bunch of people we will get Falmer no worries

Gosling

Mar 4, 2004
South London
I totally agree with Mr ChapmansThe Saviour, and hopefully Falmer will be sorted and your club will survive, so we can all get back to the business of taking the mickey out of each other again. I believe that most football fans identify themselves partly through their rivalries, and that Palace fans would lose part of their heritage if BHA were no more.

That said, I do hope you languish in the lower divisions for a while yet. ;)

As a side point, I am fully expecting a bit of 'friendly banter' with supporters of my own club tomorrow, but as I may have mentioned some things are more important than that.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Gosling said:
I totally agree with Mr ChapmansThe Saviour, and hopefully Falmer will be sorted and your club will survive, so we can all get back to the business of taking the mickey out of each other again. I believe that most football fans identify themselves partly through their rivalries, and that Palace fans would lose part of their heritage if BHA were no more.

That said, I do hope you languish in the lower divisions for a while yet. ;)

But if we languish in the lower divisions then you cannot play us unless you are thinking of getting relegated after all :D ;)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I am fully prepared for an entire afternoon of "5-0" and "does your boyfriend know you're here".

Which will fall a bit flat as the Albion contingent tomorrow are all female, but I don't expect many Palace fans to be able to make that distinction!

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
mona said:
Does Berks ever watch much football? He claims that he never goes to Withdean. He'd probably not miss the Albion that much. He can always abuse Palace fans as a Reading fan.
I just sit on my armchair watching it.:lolol:
On a serious note im on vacation if thats o.k by you mmm:drink: :drink:

O yeah all is well to get support etc,but to ask me to be nice to palarse etc is not goner happen.
You lot might not understand but im not giving up my rivalry full stop as at this rate we won't have any rivals and they will always hold it against us.

Im not your type of fan as most on here are super fans and don't care who they ask for help,but thats why im diffrent.

You want honest im giving it and i wouldn't lift a finger to help palarse ever as im not throwing away decades of tradition,but if i had to be nice to get the ground of course i would.
:smokin:

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Lots of fans up and down the country hear of clubs on the verge of going out of business etc,So many have recently been hit that fans are getting used to headlines such as ------------- going out of business then at the last minute they get bailed out.
Other fans are not all aware of the plight of the Albion,this is why it is important to get out there and let them know.
Other clubs are also suffering from not getting grounds agreed and we must remember them in future demos etc.
It is important that FOOTBALL UNITED WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED all clubs have their idiots but the majority just love football and would never like to see another club go out of businesss etc.
I just hope that Saturdays exposure helps bring the whole football community closer again,we are not alone.Remember "big" clubs like Arsenal,Liverpool,Everton and others are looking to move grounds aswell.If P****e fans show support on Saturday that would be great,then when we get promoted we can all abuse each other again,that's football.
Singing we won't play you again,going down going down etc is all part of the fun,but when your singing it do you really mean it ?
At Hereford walking out with our smiles,hereford fans crying it is such a thin line.
We need support from whoever is willing to give it.

Gosling

Mar 4, 2004
South London
berkshire seagull said:
I just sit on my armchair watching it.:lolol:
On a serious note im on vacation if thats o.k by you mmm:drink: :drink:

O yeah all is well to get support etc,but to ask me to be nice to palarse etc is not goner happen.
You lot might not understand but im not giving up my rivalry full stop as at this rate we won't have any rivals and they will always hold it against us.

Im not your type of fan as most on here are super fans and don't care who they ask for help,but thats why im diffrent.

You want honest im giving it and i wouldn't lift a finger to help palarse ever as im not throwing away decades of tradition,but if i had to be nice to get the ground of course i would.
:smokin:

Ok, then, I'll just go and vote against the Falmer campaign, shall I? :rolleyes: I don't know you, and perhaps I shouldn't get lairy after one day of being on this site, but GROW UP for christ's sake. Some things are more important than the rivalry. I'm not asking to be your best pal for life, I'm not that sort of boy, but as your club is clearly on the brink I think you should get a sense of perspective.

One of the reasons I'm meeting up with Lush and Edna Krabappel at Selhurst tomorrow is that I admire their bottle to come up here and doubtless get faced by similar ignorance as your post shows. They will need some help, and I'm happy to do what I can.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
On the train to Stockport there were some "Southern Man City" fans who ask quite a few direct questions to me about what was going on at our club.

I explained where we were and what we wanted to achieve and they were very supportive.

The moral is - not all clubs really know the history, explain it and they will spread the word.

The City fans only knew what was going on originally from Radio 5 live.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here