Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer pay on gate?

The bigger picture is that the club should strive to give the customers what they want, and make our life easier not harder.
I want things easy for me too.

A modern smartcard ticketing system is much more convenient than queuing with cash. Just look at the London Transport system.

Would you rather fumble with cash in a queue or walk straight on to a bus or underground platform without any delay?

Millions MORE people are using London's public transport system since the Oyster Card was introduced.

Smartcards won't be confined to season ticket holders. Everyone will be able to use one. Once you've got one, you'll be able to get into a game by doing nothing more complicated than sending a text message on the day.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
I want things easy for me too.

A modern smartcard ticketing system is much more convenient than queuing with cash. Just look at the London Transport system.

Would you rather fumble with cash in a queue or walk straight on to a bus or underground platform without any delay?

Millions MORE people are using London's public transport system since the Oyster Card was introduced.

Smartcards won't be confined to season ticket holders. Everyone will be able to use one. Once you've got one, you'll be able to get into a game by doing nothing more complicated than sending a text message on the day.

Mate, the difference is that if you live or go to london on a regular basis then you have an oyster card. That will not be same for the "albion oyster". If I want to take a mate or relative that just fancies a game that day, then you need a pay on the gate. Also, Im not sure I want another ard, and yes I do like cash in the pocket. Make life easy fo people to watch a game, and if there is a rule then always question why we need it. The less rules the better

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

If I want to take a mate or relative that just fancies a game that day, then you need a pay on the gate.
You'll be able to use YOUR card to get the tickets for your mate or relative. They won't have to queue with cash to pay on the gate. They'll pay the cash to you. What's wrong with that?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
If you want jokes about typos, then you've given us plenty of opportunities. :thumbsup:

Lighten up. The rules have been set. Accept them.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
You'll be able to use YOUR card to get the tickets for your mate or relative. They won't have to queue to pay on the gate. They'll pay the cash to you. What's wrong with that?

what is wrong with that is that you need someone to have an albion oyster. There will be loads of people who wont haave one, my mates ad for example whoo never will get one but has been going all his life to two or three ganes a season. He does not want to have to relky on his son being in the area to go. Also students wont have one and lots of others in sussex will not get one, but now and again they will want to go, someitmes with people who have an oyster and sometimes without. Make life as easy as possible and stick the rule book on the lewes bonfire

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
If you want jokes about typos, then you've given us plenty of opportunities. :thumbsup:

Lighten up. The rules have been set. Accept them.

I cant type or spell for toffee. The less rules the better, make everyone's life easier not harder to watch a game

what is wrong with that is that you need someone to have an albion oyster. There will be loads of people who wont haave one, my mates ad for example whoo never will get one but has been going all his life to two or three ganes a season. He does not want to have to relky on his son being in the area to go. Also students wont have one and lots of others in sussex will not get one, but now and again they will want to go, someitmes with people who have an oyster and sometimes without. Make life as easy as possible and stick the rule book on the lewes bonfire

A sensible ticketing system will hand out FREE 'oysters' to ANYONE who EVER buys a ticket. It even makes sense to hand out easy-to-register free 'oysters' to people who might even have NO intention of using it.

The technology is there. It's better than cash. And, within a few years, it will be in widespread use for a huge range of products.

The most impressive football ticketing system I have ever used is the Atletico Madrid system - get your ticket from any bank cashpoint in the city, at any time, right up to kick-off. As the user of a non-Spanish bank account, I had the slight inconvenience of having to go to the machine at the ground, but that was hardly very inconvenient, since no-one else was using it.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Falmer is going to have club shop/ticket office?

Then thats the answer then. Wont be pay "on the gate" , it will be pay in the club shop/ticket office before you go in

?? :shrug:

Thats a very good point, one i hadn't thought of! Does anyone know whether this will be the case?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
The less rules the better, make everyone's life easier not harder to watch a game

That I agree with. BUT we don't live in an ideal world. Sometimes rules have to be adhered to. THIS is one of those times. Would you rather need a ticket (or card) to attend matches, or have NO ground to go to?

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
Falmer is going to have club shop/ticket office?

Then thats the answer then. Wont be pay "on the gate" , it will be pay in the club shop/ticket office before you go in

?? :shrug:

Good idea and also pay points at every stand if they dont want a turnstile. Easy done :another shrug of the shoulders

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
That I agree with. BUT we don't live in an ideal world. Sometimes rules have to be adhered to. THIS is one of those times. Would you rather need a ticket (or card) to attend matches, or have NO ground to go to?

that is not the two options available. If it is a planning condition, then apply to vary it

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im all for smart cards but it does have to be easy for for transient, impromtu and new support too. assuming the smart cards can be brought/topped up at the clubshop at the stadium on the day, or maybe at the station too as someone hinted earlier, then i think it covers everything. i know for a fact people dont go to withdean right now as it neds planning, you cant just get up on a saturday and go and that will need to be addressed if Falmer is to have more than 8-10k.

physically paying at a turnstyle with a tenner :)laugh:) is a slightly outmoded and romantic idea these days, any popular or contentious game is made all ticket anyway.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
A sensible ticketing system will hand out FREE 'oysters' to ANYONE who EVER buys a ticket. It even makes sense to hand out easy-to-register free 'oysters' to people who might even have NO intention of using it.

The technology is there. It's better than cash. And, within a few years, it will be in widespread use for a huge range of products.

The most impressive football ticketing system I have ever used is the Atletico Madrid system - get your ticket from any bank cashpoint in the city, at any time, right up to kick-off. As the user of a non-Spanish bank account, I had the slight inconvenience of having to go to the machine at the ground, but that was hardly very inconvenient, since no-one else was using it.

Every few months these days Im clearing my wallet of cards that i dont want, but i dont do that with cash. Everyone will have mates not from sussex who live in sussex. they wont keep an albion oyster in the wallet just in case they ever fancy a game. An oyster system is a great idea fo repeat punters like yo and me, but no good for those that fancy the odd game once in a blue moon or a few games a season

that is not the two options available. If it is a planning condition, then apply to vary it
OK ... I'll revert to the job I used to do when I worked as a transport planner at the council.

A planning application arrives on my desk for comment. I ask myself a couple of simple questions.

"If granted, will this planning application create a transport problem? If match tickets are going to be sold at the ground, will it mean more cars being driven to the stadium car parks?"

If the answer to this question is YES, then I'd recommend refusal of the planning application.

If the applicant is claiming that it won't mean more cars being driven to the stadium car parks, I'd want to know how the football club would prevent people without tickets imagining that they can just drive up to the ground and buy a ticket.

If the answer to that question is:- "We'd encourage people without tickets to use public transport", I'd say:- "Then sell the tickets in the city centre and include the price of the public transport in the ticket". And then I'd think:- "Doesn't the existing planning permission already achieve that?"

And then I'd recommend the council to turn down the planning application, on the grounds that it fails to comply with PPG 13.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
OK ... I'll revert to the job I used to do when I worked as a transport planner at the council.

A planning application arrives on my desk for comment. I ask myself a couple of simple questions.

"If granted, will this planning application create a transport problem? If match tickets are going to be sold at the ground, will it mean more cars being driven to the stadium car parks?"

If the answer to this question is YES, then I'd recommend refusal of the planning application.

If the applicant is claiming that it won't mean more cars being driven to the stadium car parks, I'd want to know how the football club would prevent people without tickets imagining that they can just drive up to the ground and buy a ticket.

If the answer to that question is:- "We'd encourage people without tickets to use public transport", I'd say:- "Then sell the tickets in the city centre and include the price of the public transport in the ticket". And then I'd think:- "Doesn't the existing planning permission already achieve that?"

And then I'd recommend the council to turn down the planning application, on the grounds that it fails to comply with PPG 13.

Im sure you would and then what the albion should do is appeal your decision until someone starts using common sense and understands that every other championship club has pay on the gate and games like albion v peterborough should be pay on the day. Then you have a choice whethe to put resources into fighting the albion's appeal or just do what is common sense and allow pay on the day

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The idea that a 22500 stadium cannot be pay on the day for an average championship or league one gate is stupid and should therefore be changed

It is pay on the day, how f***ing stupid are you?

Im sure you would and then what the albion should do is appeal your decision until someone starts using common sense and understands that every other championship club has pay on the gate and games like albion v peterborough should be pay on the day. Then you have a choice whethe to put resources into fighting the albion's appeal or just do what is common sense and allow pay on the day

Planning decisions aren't based on "common sense" or "every other championship club does it".

They are based on agreed Planning Policy. Planning Appeal decisions are based ONLY on agreed Planning Policy.

As for what "every other Championship club does", that's simply not true. There are lots of Championship clubs that haven't had to apply for planning permission for anything in the last few years. They will be governed by the rules that were in place years ago.

New stadiums will all have been built to comply with the rules that now govern major developments. Having a robust transport plan in place and discouraging the use of private cars for access to games will be conditions that apply to ALL new stadiums.

And it's not just Championship clubs. Can you just turn up as a new unregistered customer at Southampton FC and buy a ticket on the gate? No. Everyone who buys a ticket in the home parts of the ground has to register or get their ticket through an already-registered member.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here