Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer pay on gate?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I think it was a strict part of the planning permission for the Stadium that stopped us being able to offer 'turn up and pay'

That was my understanding and if that's a condition of having a nice new shiney stadium then it seems a very minor issue. If can't organise yourself to make a phone cal an hour before kick off how the hell would you hope to even be organised enough to get to the ground ???

Last edited:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Why? This doesn't apply to other clubs (well, outside the premiership, at least) and there's no reason to apply it to Falmer - it's a 25,000 seater, for heaven's sake, and though there will hopefully be matches when it is full to the brim and it has to be all ticket, but not all the time, surely?

This is a serious problem for some of us. Me, for example - I'm not in the best of health (I've had strokes), and a trip to Falmer for me would be a four hour drive each way, plus parking and getting to the ground and all that. On a good day, yes I could do that - but if I wake up and I'm not feeling so good, it's not something I'd want to try (don't want another stroke, thank you very much!) - so there's no way I'm going to be able to buy a ticket in advance if I'm not going to be up to making the journey come the day.

That's why I've never been to Withdean - can't just turn up at the ground to pay and go in - and have to be content with watching the Albion in places like Bristol, Cheltenham, Hereford, etc. Shorter drive too, yes - but the main point is, I can assess how well I am on a particular day, and if the signs are good, roll up, pay at the turnstyles, and in I go. Simples!!

We've GOT to have the same facility at Falmer!

But you can now phone or get one on the internet up to an hour before the game. If you you can post on here then you should be able to manage that.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think it was a strict part of the planning permission for the Stadium that stopped us being able to offer 'turn up and pay'

Anyone that STILL doesn't understand why we can't do pay on the day needs to read the quote, and repeat it until you can remember. The club isn't allowed, it's part of the planning permission.

Once we're in I think they are going to do some kind of membership scheme where you have a card (like a credit card) and can top it up online or by txt, then you just swipe it on a machine to get in.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Why doesn't someone just "Ask The Project Team" to get a DEFINITIVE answer

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I thought I remembered something about putting a ticket machine on Brighton Station where you could buy tickets on Matchdays

Wrong, my understanding was this would be our local inbred Timmy instead

cant they install a ticket machine at Falmer station, or in the Uni car park. Issuing a small ticket to satisfy authorities that the required sum has been paid. Bit of a grey area this I think. The club could be missing a trick or two if it cant encourage last minute fans who want to turn up and watch a game of football. :shrug:
Ticketing arrangements are essentially part of the Transport Management Plan.

No travel without a ticket / no parking at Falmer High School or Sussex University without advance booking are two elements that will no doubt be discussed as the Plan develops. This doesn't, of course, rule out ticket sales on the day.

Once we're in I think they are going to do some kind of membership scheme where you have a card (like a credit card) and can top it up online or by txt, then you just swipe it on a machine to get in.
Why confine the swipe card to getting in?

I want a swipe card that will pay for my drinks at the bar. And, ideally, it would be a swipe card that would get me into other grounds as well.

Incidentally ... when Brighton & Hove Buses switch to Oyster Cards in a couple of years time, I'd like to see those cards be usable for Falmer admission as well. Who wants to carry cash?

Ticketing arrangements are essentially part of the Transport Management Plan.

No travel without a ticket / no parking at Falmer High School or Sussex University without advance booking are two elements that will no doubt be discussed as the Plan develops. This doesn't, of course, rule out ticket sales on the day.

Quite so, match ticket sales points are indeed part of the TMP and this has to be approved by B&HCC before the stadium can open.
However, can anyone envisage the Council allowing "open" access to a car park for people who have no tickets - just imagine the potential chaos. Potentially similar scenarios at the P&R's.
Presumably, the TMP that the club/consultation group come up with must demonstrate that it can cope with a 22,500 crowd at a football match; if it doesn't then the Council can limit the attendance?

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
its a problem with football that people want to make up rules to make th punters life difficult. We are the customers, we want pay on the days, so the club should have pay on the day unless there are exceptional games where there will be a sell out. For the bog standard championship or div 1 game that wont sell out then the answer is simple - do what the punters want and have pay on the day.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Why confine the swipe card to getting in?

I want a swipe card that will pay for my drinks at the bar. And, ideally, it would be a swipe card that would get me into other grounds as well.

Incidentally ... when Brighton & Hove Buses switch to Oyster Cards in a couple of years time, I'd like to see those cards be usable for Falmer admission as well. Who wants to carry cash?

Just as long as they don't give swipe cards instaed of season tickets. That would make selling on the unwanted tickets kinda difficult.

its a problem with football that people want to make up rules to make th punters life difficult. We are the customers, we want pay on the days, so the club should have pay on the day unless there are exceptional games where there will be a sell out. For the bog standard championship or div 1 game that wont sell out then the answer is simple - do what the punters want and have pay on the day.
There WILL BE pay on the day.

There WON'T BE pay at the gate.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
There WILL BE pay on the day.

There WON'T BE pay at the gate.

Great, anohter pointless rule to make the customers life difficult. Lots of people dnt want membership schemes, rules, regulations, we just want to take a few quid out of the trouser pocket on a saturday morning, have a beer and watch a game. Still it keeps the person who thought of that idea in a job. Ridiculous just give the punte5s what they want and havve a man taking cash on a pay turnstile.

Great, anohter pointless rule to make the customers life difficult. Lots of people dnt want membership schemes, rules, regulations, we just want to take a few quid out of the trouser pocket on a saturday morning, have a beer and watch a game. Still it keeps the person who thought of that idea in a job. Ridiculous just give the punte5s what they want and havve a man taking cash on a pay turnstile.

The alternative was NOT GETTING PLANNING PERMISSION for Falmer.

To say nothing of NOT GETTING PLANNING PERMISSION to play at Withdean, either.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
The alternative was NOT GETTING PLANNING PERMISSION for Falmer.

To say nothing of NOT GETTING PLANNING PERMISSION to play at Withdean, either.

Two very good reasons. Im not a planning lawyer but permission has been granted, and so the logical progression would be to apply to vary the usage. The bigger picture is that the club should strive to give the customers what they wan, and make our life easier not harder. The idea that a 22500 stadium cannot be pay on the day for an average championship or league one gate is stupid and should therefore be changed

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
I am struggling to think of a new football ground in the country that isn't pay on the gate (that isn't full every week).

Shambles. Most new grounds have a ticket office on site.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
I am struggling to think of a new football ground in the country that isn't pay on the gate (that isn't full every week).

Shambles. Most new grounds have a ticket office on site.

Exactly its a joke that Brighton v say Peterborough in the championship being payed at an all seater 22500 stadium is not pay on the day . There we go people running the phone in, something for you to debate. I needs changing so Albion, get on and change it

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Falmer is going to have club shop/ticket office?

Then thats the answer then. Wont be pay "on the gate" , it will be pay in the club shop/ticket office before you go in

?? :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here