Falkland Islands lie in Argentinian waters, UN commission rules

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
The population of the Falklands is about the same size of those attending Cardinal Newman school. It really is comical in this day and age we are attempting to hold on to places like that. The Empire is long gone lads, give it up

Not going to happen pal, and what gives YOU the right to determine what happens to the inhabitants? joker.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Back in 60s, possibly before the oil discovery and during de-colonisation, there were underhand talks over a switch of sovereignty. In the early 80s they were still talking, then Galtieri had a rush of blood.

When I think of that conflict I realise how our poorly equiped forces gave everything. She had put them in a 'do or die' position. It was a combination of their brilliance and poor Argentine logistics that did it. It wasn't just Carrington who should have resigned- it was her too.

Cant disagree with that.
Got to feel for some of the Argentinian conscripts who were even less prepared. Some of them didnt even know they were on the Falklands until British artillery started shelling them.
Think we were very lucky at the end of the day though. If the bombs that landed on British ships, that didnt go off, as the pilots were flying too low to avoid the flak, had exploded, it could have been a disaster. Guess you need a bit of luck in war.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So have I. It really isn't.

It's like a bad Toytown version of the UK designed by someone who's never been to the UK.

But with a big rock and some apes.

Really?

I remember all the buildings looking Spanish, all the people looking Spanish, the only thing that wasn't were the post and telephone boxes, the police and a few signs...:shrug:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You DO agree that the geopolitical map of the world might look just a tad different a hundred years from now and that some of the differences might just include some of our 'acquisitions' from the days when we had an empire and nicked as much or the good stuff as we could by military force, irrespective of where on the planet that good stuff happened to be?
I didn't even think we were discussing that? You said about maps looking different now than they used to, and I thought maybe you had some interesting ones you were looking at, so I asked if you could post them. You didn't, no problem.

pastafarian said the majority of Argentinians don't care about the Falklands, and I suggested that view may come from particularly free thinking Argentinians, as I think the majority do care. I wasn't meaning to insult the intelligence of the average Argentinian.

You seem to be arguing with me about a lot more than that now and I don't know why.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Cant disagree with that.
Got to feel for some of the Argentinian conscripts who were even less prepared. Some of them didnt even know they were on the Falklands until British artillery started shelling them.
Think we were very lucky at the end of the day though. If the bombs that landed on British ships, that didnt go off, as the pilots were flying too low to avoid the flak, had exploed, it could have been a disaster. Guess you need a bit of luck in war.

Yes. And the important point you make is over the Argentine conscripts. Unprepared youngsters against a highly trained western militia. Hardly surprising they ran when the Gurkhas turned up.

I always see the conflict as a terrible waste of a thousand lives- and I include Argentines in that.

No-one is a victor in war. The only questions that need to be asked is how it came about and the politics involved. The British government was not without blame.

On a lighter note-

When news broke one Friday (I think) I had just got home from school. My immediate concern was whether Scotland was in any danger of further advancements. I had always prided myself in geographical knowledge but this one had me baffled...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
When news broke one Friday (I think) I had just got home from school. My immediate concern was whether Scotland was in any danger of further advancements. I had always prided myself in geographical knowledge but this one had me baffled...

Are you sure you didn't read that in A Diary of Adrian Mole?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I didn't even think we were discussing that? You said about maps looking different now than they used to, and I thought maybe you had some interesting ones you were looking at, so I asked if you could post them. You didn't, no problem.

Maybe I put my point badly, but all I was saying is the geopolitical map of the world doesn't stay fixed forever. Three snapshots taken in 1916, 2016 and 2116 would look markedly different. Would have been perfectly happy leaving it at that til you started banging on about intelligent 'Argies' being in the minority. Had to call you up on that. My bad.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Mother in law and her husband did a South American cruise recently (including the Falklands which they said was the best bit because of the penguins).

From what they saw and the people they met on various stops in Argentina, they said that it was only in one town they visited (can't remember where but somewhere in the South obviously) that the Falklands even seemed to be an issue to anyone.

Everywhere else people had more important things to worry about.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Maybe I put my point badly, but all I was saying is the geopolitical map of the world doesn't stay fixed forever.
I understood that point and didn't disagree.

Three snapshots taken in 1916, 2016 and 2116 would look markedly different.
Indeed.

Would have been perfectly happy leaving it at that til you started banging on about intelligent 'Argies' being in the minority. Had to call you up on that.
I wasn't meaning to suggest that, I didn't word it well.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Are you sure you didn't read that in A Diary of Adrian Mole?

Alas not. Although I was 13 and a quarter at the time....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Back in 60s, possibly before the oil discovery and during de-colonisation, there were underhand talks over a switch of sovereignty. In the early 80s they were still talking, then Galtieri had a rush of blood.

When I think of that conflict I realise how our poorly equiped forces gave everything. She had put them in a 'do or die' position. It was a combination of their brilliance and poor Argentine logistics that did it. It wasn't just Carrington who should have resigned- it was her too.

I know someone who worked for the British government in Port Stanley, and there was not any talk of a switch of sovereignty, either in the 60s or the 80s. Ever.

My stepMum came from the Falkland Islands and my Dad went there three times from 1963-1966, for 8 months at a time. I still know Falkland Islanders now.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
The population of the Falklands is about the same size of those attending Cardinal Newman school. It really is comical in this day and age we are attempting to hold on to places like that. The Empire is long gone lads, give it up

Indeed, although the story behind the disposal of one of the remnants of the territory seized during our world domination is not particularly edifying.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-vine/the-truth-about-diego-gar_b_7585546.html

I suppose it all comes down to our relationship with the potential suitor and possibly, the colour of the inhabitants' skin.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The population of the Falklands are entitled to decide their own fate. They've lived there (or rather their descendants) on islands that were completely uninhabited before, since 1750.
They had a vote which resulted in 99.8% in favour of staying British.

Who are you, I or anyone else to say differently?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

I am beginning to think the same way now
amazing how before the "war" caused by some Argentinian sub-mariner hoisting an Argentinian flag on a deserted whaling station on South Georga and Mr thatcher getting twitchy over his shares in mineral deposits, not one person I asked knew where the place was.
mind you they think they are British so maybe they dererve some protection .....................send the UN in if they are so worried about it

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Almost half the population are recent immigrants, since the Falklands war, and not necessarily from the UK.

But more than half are from the UK, together with sizeable contributions from St. Helena, Australia and New Zealand, so it's not like it's a sea-change of culture. Also, a substantial number of the non-native (if I'm allowed to call them that) population are professionals on two or three year contracts, and other contract workers (who may or may not stay).

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I know someone who worked for the British government in Port Stanley, and there was not any talk of a switch of sovereignty, either in the 60s or the 80s. Ever.

My stepMum came from the Falkland Islands and my Dad went there three times from 1963-1966, for 8 months at a time. I still know Falkland Islanders now.

I'm trying to find a source that underlines the evidence I should have offered. This is worth a read:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...nepage&q=falkland islands talks 1960s&f=false

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm trying to find a source that underlines the evidence I should have offered. This is worth a read:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...nepage&q=falkland islands talks 1960s&f=false

This is also well worth a read:

336226.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The driving force behind the plan was the Foreign Office minister Nicholas Ridley. However, the plan was wrecked after Mr Ridley, whose mission was not helped by a rather offhand and patronising manner, made an ill-fated trip to the Falklands in November, where he tried to sell a deal to the islanders. Suspicion about the government's long-term intentions grew, fuelling opposition among both Conservative and Labour MPs to any such deal.

That tells you all you want to know. Revolting man.

Edited to add that article is innacurate saying Britain seized the Falklands in 1833. Completely wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports