Apr 5, 2014
AA.jpg

"Any Argies out there Eric ?"

"No Jock, just sardines following a trawler..."

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Almost half the population are recent immigrants, since the Falklands war, and not necessarily from the UK.

As I remember it, the Falklands leadership came to Britain before the conflict to ask for British status, and Thatcher told them to do one.

The British government wasn't overly bothered by the Falklands. They were quite happily trying to hand them over until the Islanders started creating. It was Thatcher's indifference that led to the invasion. That should always be remembered.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
??? Is that just a lead up to the Southampton joke, or are you being serious?

:lolol:

Southampton has seen an influx of former islanders over the years. It's know as Stanley North.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The British government wasn't overly bothered by the Falklands. They were quite happily trying to hand them over until the Islanders started creating. It was Thatcher's indifference that led to the invasion. That should always be remembered.

The removal of the ice patrol ship HMS Endurance gave the Argentinians the heads up. Im fairly sure the British government was not trying to hand over any oil deposits, as the wealth of it has been known for some time. Think it was more arrogance, and ineptitude by the government of the time, plus Thatcher and Galtieri needed a war to bolster their polical power.
I think I read that the previous time the Argentinians threatened invasion, we sent a nuclear submarine to the waters around the Falklands, and told them to fill their boots, and try.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
:lolol:

Southampton has seen an influx of former islanders over the years. It's know as Stanley North.
But what's that got to do with the ancestry of the settlers in the Falklands?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't think Argentina own the waters but the sea-bed
In any case the 12 n.miles territorial waters overrides this.

they will use this to claim sovereignty over Falklands, over looking that as a seperate territory they have their own waters and seabed claims. it doesn't resolve anything, just makes the matter more complicated. at end of day UN has to resolve territory claims with the principle of upholding a peoples' right to self determination.

Oct 25, 2003
Argentina- IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THE FALKLAND ISLANDS LIE IN ARGENTINIAN WATERS

The-Rock-It-Doesnt-Matter-06.jpg

Attachments

• The-Rock-Just-Bring-It-590x900.jpg
    The-Rock-Just-Bring-It-590x900.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 479

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
What I don't get in all this is the apparent Argentinian hypocrisy when they talk about Britain acting like a 19th Century colonial power. The Argies are demanding a bit of land 300 miles away from their shore and whose inhabitants do not wish to be Argentinian. Why must they have it? Their demands and their rejection of self-determination have all the hallmarks of empire building and unwanted colonisation.

I'd also add that if they are that dead against "European Imperialism" then their claim to it based on being bequeathed by the Spanish when Argentina was founded is null and void because Spain had no more right to it in the 19th Century than the British have now according to the Argies.

This commission ruling is a load of old tosh anyway. There's no legal basis to their ruling and it won't ever become law either.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What I don't get in all this is the apparent Argentinian hypocrisy when they talk about Britain acting like a 19th Century colonial power. The Argies are demanding a bit of land 300 miles away from their shore and whose inhabitants do not wish to be Argentinian. Why must they have it? Their demands and their rejection of self-determination have all the hallmarks of empire building and unwanted colonisation.

I'd also add that if they are that dead against "European Imperialism" then their claim to it based on being bequeathed by the Spanish when Argentina was founded is null and void because Spain had no more right to it in the 19th Century than the British have now according to the Argies.

This commission ruling is a load of old tosh anyway. There's no legal basis to their ruling and it won't ever become law either.

Exactly. Well said.

The Falkland Islanders are not worried about it.
[tweet]714782715225182208[/tweet]

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think Argentina own the waters but the sea-bed
In any case the 12 n.miles territorial waters overrides this.

I've heard the Argentinians are very keen to protect the sea bed. So much so that they've deployed the warship General Belgrano.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
i have a horrible amount of Argie relatives
Going by what they say the majority of Argies couldnt give a flying arse about the Falklands and would rather their leaders concentrated on important matters such as sorting out the crippling debt.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
All I'd say is the world map of territorial countries looked very different a hundred years ago than it looks today. It'll look equally different a hundred years from now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
i have a horrible amount of Argie relatives
Going by what they say the majority of Argies couldnt give a flying arse about the Falklands and would rather their leaders concentrated on important matters such as sorting out the crippling debt.
That sounds reassuring. Or maybe your relatives only mix with intelligent Argies, who don't represent the majority?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
All I'd say is the world map of territorial countries looked very different a hundred years ago than it looks today.
Got a couple of images for us to compare?

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
The Falklands existed before Argentina so really Argentina lies within the Falklands territorial waters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here