Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Facundo Buonanotte - SIGNED for 1.8 billion pesos

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Confirmed by the club now

It’s possible they didn’t want to say anything yet but were forced to by the selling club releasing the information hence the couple of hours delay in saying anything. Most of the time both parties release the information together.
I would think that is almost certain.
The club don't want to be accused of failing to keep their fans engaged, even though they would have preferred to release the news on their terms.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We can probably get him a work permit because he's a promising youngster which means he doesn't need to meet the points criteria older players have to. He certainly won't get anywhere near the 15 points at the moment considering his lack of senior international football and being signed from a club that isn't playing in the Copa Libertadores/Copa Sudamericana.

Enciso is likely to have got a work permit through the same dispensation as although he's a full international the points he'd get for playing for Paraguay would not get him anywhere near the 15 points either.
Enciso had played group stage for Libertadores and his team went on to reach the Semi finals which then makes those appearances worth a chunk of points.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
How come this news has come out now? Not that I'm complaining, but it's normally done when a player actually SINGS - i.e. January...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
More recently Di Maria and Lo Celso are probably the most well known players to have come from Rosario Central.

The problem is nobody actually believes them lol In fact the most common theory is that the President really wanted to push the sale through before December because it'd mean he'd get to steal more money before leaving (Rosario Central has elections in December and it's very unlikely he'll win reelection).

It's kind of well known here in Argentina that club presidents are generally pretty corrupt and there's a trend of big lumps of transfer fees disappearing

Also Alexis' brother Francis plays for Rosario Central so they might be familiar with each other already. If he doesn't go on loan hopefully Alexis helps him settle in
Welcome, and I had a fine time in Buenos Aires when I visited (too briefly) a few years back. I hope the inflation situation isn't cutting as deep as feared.
Do you have any information of our scouts or scouting network in Argentina, or in the wider continent?

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
We seem to have developed a preferred pathway for South American wonderkids into Premier League football.

It is the most extraordinary development I can remember as a fan of 60 odd years.

We should all be humble, proud and hugely excited that it is our club that is doing this.

Perhaps yet another emerging talent scouted by Sam Jewell?
This reminded me that the excellent BBC Senior Football Reporter / Commentator Ian Dennis earlier this year was heralding Sam as "a jewel in the recruitment system of Brighton & Hove Albion."
It seems Sam also played a major part in bringing us Enciso, Mac Allister and Caicedo.
I think he's Paul Jewell's son?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
This is the one that fell through last minute in Aug right? The one that someone said is the next Messi or something.

Edit - found it - it was Carlos Tevez

Last edited:

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Cant remember who said it, but were we not told at one point that an upshot of brexit was that it would now be slightly easier for clubs to sign and get all the necessary permits/visas for players coming from south america. Seems we are really taking advantage of that and other Prem clubs are not.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
This is the one that fell through last minute in Aug right? The one that someone said is the next Messi or something.

Edit - found it - it was Carlos Tevez
Yes to the point about signing but didn't quite happen then.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Cant remember who said it, but were we not told at one point that an upshot of brexit was that it would now be slightly easier for clubs to sign and get all the necessary permits/visas for players coming from south america. Seems we are really taking advantage of that and other Prem clubs are not.
My wife's Aunt is in South America and we tried 5-6x to get a visa for her to visit pre-Brexit and got turned down each time. Just got one approved with even less hoops to jump through. My personal experience.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
This reminded me that the excellent BBC Senior Football Reporter / Commentator Ian Dennis earlier this year was heralding Sam as "a jewel in the recruitment system of Brighton & Hove Albion."
It seems Sam also played a major part in bringing us Enciso, Mac Allister and Caicedo.
Shhhhhhhh. Otherwise you know who will be after him as well as the tea lady.

canlison

Jan 28, 2022
Welcome, and I had a fine time in Buenos Aires when I visited (too briefly) a few years back. I hope the inflation situation isn't cutting as deep as feared.
Do you have any information of our scouts or scouting network in Argentina, or in the wider continent?

Thank you! Unfortunately yeah, the inflation sucks as much as it seems. We're all very used to it though, we've been living with low grade inflation for decades pretty much and every once in a while it spikes into hyper inflation (like now)

Honestly, I have no idea what Brighton's scouting set up is like around here. It's very common to hear there are scouts during matches (when you're at the stadium and they usually mention it on TV as well) but they'll rarely say what teams they're from and when they do it's usually the more traditional European teams (although they rarely buy directly from here so who knows what they're doing)

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
It’ll be harder than some of our recent South American signings.

No full international caps (he’s played for Argentina u-20s) and he hasn’t played in the Copa Libertadores.

Argument we could ask for special dispensation as he’s arguably ‘Argentinas greatest prospect’ and is getting regular game time already.

Interestingly he owns a Italian passport, so that opens doors to a EU loan move…
If only we had not left the EU and the free movement of people

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Well he was learning Spanish back in 2018 to obviously help him work in that market without need of translators.

Sam is a top football scout and Recruitment Manager at Brighton and Hove Albion. He travels extensively throughout Spain and Latin America on his quest for the next Lionel Messi or Luis Suárez! “Sam needs to speak Spanish for his job” says Profesora Irvine, “and it will be such an advantage for him to be able to communicate with young footballers in their own language and negotiate terms and contracts in Spanish”.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The problem is nobody actually believes them lol In fact the most common theory is that the President really wanted to push the sale through before December because it'd mean he'd get to steal more money before leaving (Rosario Central has elections in December and it's very unlikely he'll win reelection).

It's kind of well known here in Argentina that club presidents are generally pretty corrupt and there's a trend of big lumps of transfer fees disappearing
Irony of the year if Brighton are abusing the presidents desire to asset strip the club...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tevez’s quoted comparisons to Messi about the lad make me very, very excited!
Maybe Facundo could persuade his mate to sign for us too

Attachments

• HJHSUMDIFNG2TMLIGVPRAHVWRI.jpg
    HJHSUMDIFNG2TMLIGVPRAHVWRI.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 29

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here